Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inspire 3 is not tracking the correct distance in kilometers

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I set my exercise to "run" and it is calculating the incorrect total distance.  I ran over 8km as seen by the markers in the screenshot below (and tracked on strava) however my device set the total distance to 5.39 km.  I believe it is converting the total to miles (5.39miles ~ 8.67km) for some reason but saving it as kilometers and calculating incorrect steps as well.  My default units is set to kilometers in the fitbit app and on the clock display on device.  The issue also occurred the last time I ran as well.  I just bought this device a week ago and tried toggling the km/miles and soft reset the device.  Should I exchange the device or have others also experienced this same issue?  

Screenshot_fitbit.jpg

Moderator edit: clarified subject.

Best Answer
0 Votes
10 REPLIES 10

Three days and no reply.  Thanks fitbit 😔. I guess its another one of many bugs that will never be resolved.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, @jaystylez, welcome to the community, I recall a similar problem some time ago on one of the earlier devices but can't remember what the fix was. Allowing you've restarted your Inspire 3 (not a factory reset) as demonstrated in this video and are still having this experience I think your best way forward is to talk to "Customer Support"  using the chat facility or phone for a prompt response. You are almost certainly within the Fitbit "warranty" so make a note of when & where you bought the device.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Gr4ndp4 | UK
AWAKE! for morning in the bowl of light has cast the stone that set the stars to flight.

Best Answer
0 Votes

iPhone or Android?  If iPhone, the Fitbit app settings have to be "always" for location and on for background app refresh and cellular data.  When you hit start on the tracker, there's a little arrow in the upper right corner of the screen.  It will be outline until it syncs with your phone GPS and then it turns solid.  If the app settings aren't correct, then it will use your step length to calculate the distance. 

I have found the best way to determine your step length is to run a known distance then use the number of steps taken to calculate the step length.  I use Google Earth to map my running routes.  I don't take my phone on runs but the tracker is generally (but not always) pretty accurate on the distance using the step length I've calculated.

Btw, that's a pretty good pace for a 5 mile run!

Best Answer

I contacted fitbit support who had me try a few different settings and steps.  Unfortunately, the issue still persists and they said are still looking into it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Google pixel 6.  I contacted fitbit support who had me try a few different settings and steps.  Unfortunately, the issue still persists and they said are still investigating the issue looking into my account.  The device connects to my phone successfully and locks the gps.  The steps are based on the distance that you run.  Unfortunately, my distance is always calculated short resulting in incorrect steps.  On strava, the distance is calculates correct.  Even after running just half a km I can see that the device is already logging incorrectly.

Best Answer
0 Votes

"The steps are based on the distance that you run."

I think that's backwards.  The distance is based on either the phone GPS or the number of steps x your step length.  You can let the Fitbit calculate your step length based on the # of steps and the GPS distance or you can manually enter your step length based on the # of steps to go a known distance, which is what I do.

Best Answer
0 Votes

"The steps are based on the distance that you run."

This is true when I am tracking my activity with GPS turned "on" for my device (which is not calculating the distance correctly).  When GPS is off, yes it will use my steps to calculate distance.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@jaystylez   I see posts like your in the Android forum from time to time.  I'm referring to the km/mile mismatch.  You are tracking in km, but the recorded distance is the "mile" value, but it says km.  So it always comes up short.  I don't have an answer for you, because I use an iPhone -- I've never seen this issue reported with iPhone users.

I'm moving your post to the Android forum.  I hope a fellow Android user has an answer for you.  It might also be a new bug in the current app version.

And your understanding of how this stuff works is right.  Distance is measured GPS distance when you use GPS.  It is steps x stride length when you don't.  When you run with GPS, your stride length is automatically adjusted.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

"And your understanding of how this stuff works is right.  Distance is measured GPS distance when you use GPS.  It is steps x stride length when you don't.  When you run with GPS, your stride length is automatically adjusted."

Jaystylez was saying that step count with the GPS on is based on the distance travelled.  That is not right.  Per the Fitbit website "Fitbit devices use a 3-axis accelerometer to count your steps. This sensor also allows your device to determine the frequency, duration, intensity, and patterns of your movement."  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I mean this information was given to me directly from Fitbit support so I have no reason not to trust them.

And I am currently waiting on their update.

Best Answer
0 Votes