Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Location Function in New App for Android (maybe iOS as well)

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Really disappointed in the new app forcing me to have my Location set to "On" in order for the app to connect and sync to my Charge HR.  Yep, still using that one and it does what I need it to do.  I only turn the Location and/or GPS functions on when I am running or biking a new route.  Otherwise, I do not need the app to know where I am, share that data with Fitbit and, most likely "share" with third party "partners".  Sorry Big Brother, after going along for the ride since my first Flex, I think I am ready to move onto a different tracker.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hey there, @NormZ! It is nice to see you around. Yes,  Android mobile devices now require the location services to be on, this was changed in Android v6.0. Google added this requirement due to concerns that BLE beacons could be used to infer user location via Bluetooth alone.

You can read more information about it, here. I hope this helps, let us know if you have more questions. Smiley Tongue

Solange | Community Moderator, Fitbit

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

@NormZ, requiring Location Services to be turn on is not related to new version of the app, but is due to the version of the phone Operating System.  When Google released the Android OS 6.0 they "corrected" a security hole that now requires Location Services to be enabled in order to sync via Bluetooth.  If you do a search on this thread for "Location Services", you will find a lot of discussion on this issue has taken place.  It has nothing to do with Fitbit collecting data, since they don't care where you are, but is a requirement of Google.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey there, @NormZ! It is nice to see you around. Yes,  Android mobile devices now require the location services to be on, this was changed in Android v6.0. Google added this requirement due to concerns that BLE beacons could be used to infer user location via Bluetooth alone.

You can read more information about it, here. I hope this helps, let us know if you have more questions. Smiley Tongue

Solange | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello Solange!

Thanks for the additional info.  I did not know that about Google, duly noted and will research some more.

Much appreciated!

NormZ

Best Answer

Hi USAF-Larry!

Thanks for the info and quick follow up.  Much appreciated. Will do some more research.

NormZ

Best Answer

@NormZ, as others have indicated, requiring Location Services to be enabled on Android 6.0 and later is not a Fitbit issue; if you hop over to the Garmin forums for their trackers you'll see they have encountered the same issue and have just as many unhappy customers.

Best Answer

Hi Shipo!

Thanks for the reply.  Duly noted!  I will go and complain to Google going forward.

NormZ

Best Answer