Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Android 9 requirement

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Greetings,

With disappointment I noticed that Android 9 will be required to receive future updates.

Please reconsider your decision, many users including me are unable to update their device.

Thank you

Simone Vescovo

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@Odyssey13 Thanks for your input. I totally understand. I also have an "old" phone, but still works great. Battery is indeed an issue, when it comes to electronic devices. They have a finite life cycle. Thanks for the advice. 

@Stevù Nice to see you again in the forums. Thanks for your concern about the new Fitbit app requirements. 

The whole idea of a security update is to identify those flaws and provide patches for them to prevent hackers or any malicious individual from exploiting them. Apart from patching flaws, Android security updates also ensure that your device is up-to-date, receives new features, and delivers improved performance. Therefore it is recommended to either upgrade your phone´s operating system or your smartphone. 

RodrigoM | Community Moderator, Fitbit

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

Hi @Stevù  I'm on Android 9 myself and with little chance Samsung will update it. My phone is a Samsung Galaxy 8 and is close to six years old. I hate buying a new phone. Searching to see how long phones last, most say two years is a good life. Some might make it five years, but the battery can't be replaced and over time it will begin to fail to keep a charge for long. I don't do much on my phone, but it needs to be charged once or twice a day.

There is no chance Fitbit will go back on this decision. Look at how many different phones use Android for an operating system and having an app to work with each operating system would be a nightmare. People seem to get new phones more often than ever, with all the deals available. 

It's possible you might be able to get a newer refurbished phone or tablet that will meet the requirements, so that's something to consider.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer
Hi, I have Samsung S9 PLUS, i can't update because if update to Android 10
I can't recorder the calls.
Best Answer

@Odyssey13 Thanks for your input. I totally understand. I also have an "old" phone, but still works great. Battery is indeed an issue, when it comes to electronic devices. They have a finite life cycle. Thanks for the advice. 

@Stevù Nice to see you again in the forums. Thanks for your concern about the new Fitbit app requirements. 

The whole idea of a security update is to identify those flaws and provide patches for them to prevent hackers or any malicious individual from exploiting them. Apart from patching flaws, Android security updates also ensure that your device is up-to-date, receives new features, and delivers improved performance. Therefore it is recommended to either upgrade your phone´s operating system or your smartphone. 

RodrigoM | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer

I noticed this on the Fitbit app on my Huawei Y7 Prime 2019 phone, too. I'm looking into other smartphones because it doesn't update to higher than Android 8 or EMUI 8.2. 😒 I'm glad I'm not the only one who has this problem. 🤔

- Tanya K. 

Best Answer
0 Votes