Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RESOLVED 06/16/2018: "Notification service not running" error

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update 06/16/2018

Thank you for reporting the error is not longer showing in the Fitbit app. This issue has been resolved with the release of the Fitbit app for Android, version 2.73. If you're still experiencing issues receiving notifications. Make sure to confirming that you're updated to the latest app release and following our notifications troubleshooting tips provided in this help article.

I'm moving forward in closing this thread as the issue has been resolved and there is no need to post future updates. If you have questions regarding the Compatibility of your phone, refer to this help article: Which phones and tablets can I use with my Fitbit watch or tracker?

Thank you for your continued patience as we worked to get this resolved.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Fitbit Update 05/09/2018

Hi, Android users!

Some of you may be seeing the following error message inside of the Fitbit for Android app:"Notification service not running. A phone restart is required to re-enable notifications on your tracker." Even if you perform a restart, the error message persists. 

Thanks for reporting! Our team has been notified and are investigating. We will make sure to update you all if we receive more information. In the meantime, we appreciate your patience. 

androidimage1.png

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
340 REPLIES 340

I have to u check it so many times. Any other solution? Thanks in adv. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@RobertoME    Any update on this issue ?  - as you can see from the volume of comments in this thread, it is causing significant frustration with owners.

Best Answer

Very frustrated. Hope fitFit can fix this problem very soon.

Best Answer

Just started receiving this error yesterday. The app also crashes anytime I try to edit an exercise. Please find a solution to these issues or else the versa has been a total waste of money.

Best Answer

Any fix for this notifications problem yet?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitbit  Ionic happens to be my first smart watch gifted by my wife with lots of love  however my experience is turning out to be a real nightmare everyday with challanges now and then not being able to use it appropriately for onething or the other .This has also made my wife heart broke for choosing a wrong product .I always see one response that is device compatibility  Now with a small list of compatible device list and multiple challenges and limited support services why is Fitbit considered a good device? And what makes it worth paying yhe amount we have and others would do? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I agree, when I bought the watch nowhere did I see it was compatible with a very limited high-end devices, it's kind of a rip-off not everyone owns a Samsung or iPhone, I certainly did not expect my LG Stylo 3 plus not to work with the watch, I got this phone last summer, it's a LG common!

Envoyé depuis mon smartphone Samsung Galaxy.
Best Answer

Fitbit team. With so many entries, feedbacks & complaints, don't you think that you owe everyone an explanation here?

I see no further updates by the Fitbit team since their last entry saying they are working on it (which is long overdue)!

Best Answer

Please... Fix this problem in Android!

Best Answer
They told me this when I got my new Huawei Pro 20 plus but I told them it was working before there update so it has to be them. I have done what people have said in here force stop the programme clear the cache from that app then re installed and made sure the programme runs all the time not just when you have the app running and then you might have to do it again if your phone runs out of battery but this seems to work for me have had no problems since

Sent from my Huawei Mobile
Best Answer

Thanks Wombat45! It's seems work for my Huawei P10 plus too.

Best Answer
0 Votes
My huewei p2 was working before the last update also.

Sent from my Huawei Mobile
Best Answer

My message notifications quit working last week and I have not been able to fix it since. I do get phone call notifications and calendar notifications  but not message notifications. I think I've tried all of the help suggestions and I believe that this was caused by a recent update.

Any help will be appreciated.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I seriously feel like this thread is like messages in a bottle dropped into an ocean..... I am guessing that fixing a significant problem with their product is not on the top of the priority list.  Clearly, many are having issues and having to attempt BandAid fixes to get the device working the way it was intended to.

Seriously annoyed customer

T-Rexx - Big Legs, Little Arms

Best Answer
Will someone from fitbit please respond us or we consider our money thrown
in the garbage?
Best Answer

Hi there Android fellows, welcome aboard to the Fitbit Community for those newcomers. I appreciate all the patience and my apologies for the late response.

At the moment there has not been an official fix for this issue, only those workarounds kindly shared by affected users, wich has been of great help while our teams still investigate this error. I understand it has been a while since you started calling this out and my apologies for all the troubles.

As a side note, I saw it was mentioned in some scenarios the issue goes and come back after a few days. I saw too this same behavior recently in my phone after the recent update for the Fitbit app in Android 2.72.1. I followed the directions of the error to restart the phone, not before disabled all notifications in the notifications settings of the Fitbit app. Once the phone initialized, I toggle On all notifications again and it removed the error.

@Salmaner you asked about compatibility before regarding Xiaomi phones. Note that different phone models hasn't reach or added to our compatibility listIf a device isn’t listed it doesn’t mean it won’t work with a Fitbit tracker or smartwatch. We routinely test new devices to ensure full compatibility with Fitbit devices and the Fitbit App, and are constantly working to confirm compatibility with new phone models. A majority of Android phones running version 4.4 or higher will work with our products, however we cannot guarantee optimal performance on devices for which we have not tested and confirmed compatibility.

See you around and I will continue posting as more information arrives.

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have restarated my phone (literally ) over 10 times and it continues to advise me that a restart is needed to resolve the notification issue . 

Best Answer

Hi @RobertoME

Appreciate you keeping the Android users in this forum updated. Unfortunately the workaround you suggested and every single workaround in this and other threads simply does not work for me, or many many others.

Fitbit's android code is simply broken. I think you developers just have no clue what they are doing.  Every other device manufacturer can seemingly get it right. 

At some point to pressure Fitbit to truly address the problem (because there is a hugely disappointed community our there who are now regretting buying these expensive products) we will need to raise awareness through social media and tech press that Fitbit is selling duff devices and don't want to confess that major functions like notifications are inoperable. 

Oh and by the way my device has never been able to connect on wifi to any network either so doing a firmware update takes a whole day and multiple retries.  Wish I never bought it.

Best Answer

How can we make more noise about it ? I'm sure we have plenty of users who are ready to support any actions that could raise awareness. On my side ill start informing the Chinese community and over here in Asia. This is unacceptable.from fitbit.

Best Answer

Roberto are you paid to lie to us or to help us? I am sorry but this sentence of your prefab script “A majority of Android phones running version 4.4 or higher will work with our products” is just NOT TRUE. 

Starting up and not syncing is NOT WORKING. Let alone the other tens of issues like the notification one.

The truth is Fitbit sells devices without warning the buyers at least about the compatibility problems. But you can’t tell the truth because not a single Android phone from 2015 onwards is on your list (except some sams). If you tell this to customers you loose sales figures and you follow Jawbone into extinction wherever it had disappeared.

Best Answer