Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RESOLVED 06/16/2018: "Notification service not running" error

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update 06/16/2018

Thank you for reporting the error is not longer showing in the Fitbit app. This issue has been resolved with the release of the Fitbit app for Android, version 2.73. If you're still experiencing issues receiving notifications. Make sure to confirming that you're updated to the latest app release and following our notifications troubleshooting tips provided in this help article.

I'm moving forward in closing this thread as the issue has been resolved and there is no need to post future updates. If you have questions regarding the Compatibility of your phone, refer to this help article: Which phones and tablets can I use with my Fitbit watch or tracker?

Thank you for your continued patience as we worked to get this resolved.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Fitbit Update 05/09/2018

Hi, Android users!

Some of you may be seeing the following error message inside of the Fitbit for Android app:"Notification service not running. A phone restart is required to re-enable notifications on your tracker." Even if you perform a restart, the error message persists. 

Thanks for reporting! Our team has been notified and are investigating. We will make sure to update you all if we receive more information. In the meantime, we appreciate your patience. 

androidimage1.png

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
340 REPLIES 340

Hi, 

I have posted a topic here which could solve this problem for unsupported mobiles. My Xiaomi Redmi 5 Plus is getting notifications for the first time on the Charge 2. Might not fix the problem for everyone but hopefully it will help for some. More importantly, I hope Fitbit will look into the matter and try to understand the problem in case this solution helps for a number of users.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Recently i have started getting a message to restart my android phone to get notifications working. This still continues after the restart and I am no longer getting text or email notifications. The phone is a a Samsung J3.

Any ideas? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ionic Firmware 27.32.10.20

Phone Huawei mate 10 pro.

Issue

1) Unable to retrieve notifications. Always prompt to restart phone but to no avail even after restarting.

2) Phone syncing was intermittent (e.g it took several refresh (drag screen down) on app to get ionic connected but sometimes it wont connect at all.

It's been 3 months since the release of this phone. Hope fitbit is trying to put this phone up on its compatibility list. 

Thanks. 

Best Answer

Agreeing on the point, Fitbit fails on ever device I have performed reset
on all the device available with my family but fitbit appears strong and
admund not to work with any of these. All thanks to fitbit for such a
wonderful invention that is rising frustration everytime I cool down to
start again.
If you guys are incapable to provide the fix it would not be bad at all to
accept and look for new developers who might help or seek expert help.

Update:

Hello Team,

Thanks for responding however I did not choose fitbit paying good amount over other brands to buy patience but a quality rather and if you are not able to deliver the same,fitbit should keep bit patience to fit the market and recall the devices  

Moderator Edit: Format

Best Answer

@Chingyq, Did you read my post above yours ? It might make your Huawei to send notifications to your fitbit. It has worked for my unsupported Xiaomi.

Best Answer

I notice that many people are having this issue. 

When i first got my Fitbit Charge 2 the notifications worked and now they havent worked for at least 3 weeks straight. Continuously asking me to reboot my phone (OnePlus 5, android). However to no avail! It still doesn't work. 

FITBIT do something about this please? I/We did not spend over the odds on a fitbit device to have certain elements to not work. Makes me question why I bothered in the first place when I could have purchased an alternative brand who seemingly do not have this issue!  

Worst still there are no comms from FitBit to help resolve this issue.... presumably you all live in a Apple orientated world! 

Please do something to resolve this issue. Clearly your Android code doesn't work !! So change it! 

Moderator Edit: Format

Best Answer
I followed everything and something worked 👍#sorted

Thanks
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, 

@WarStreet wrote:

@Chingyq, Did you read my post above yours ? It might make your Huawei to send notifications to your fitbit. It has worked for my unsupported Xiaomi.

Hi @WarStreet  thanks for the attempt to help. However, the current interface is different in mate 10 pro. The troubleshoot article was posted on 2016 and the phone was not been released. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just bought two Versa's, for myself and Wifey.

Setting mine up on a Galaxy S5, Android 6.0.1, keep getting this "Notification Service Not Running" Error.

Just now seeing this is a problem. If not fixed soon, I just may be returning $400 worth of bracelets and going back to my first gen FLEX.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for all suggestions finally got this fixed as suggested by simple
step
Just went to settings and performed clean cache memory, first happy moment
since the day I bought this
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Sunnyyhere wrote:
Thanks for all suggestions finally got this fixed as suggested by simple
step
Just went to settings and performed clean cache memory, first happy moment
since the day I bought this

Can you be more specific on your steps?

Internal storage > Cached Data > Clear?

I have tried that and every other workaround by every suggestion in this forum.  None have worked, with any of my android phones.

So wanted to see what your precise steps were

Best Answer

Did you do anything else besides "clean Cashe Settngs" ? Any settings of note that were turned on/off ?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Chingyq, The interfaces will be different with different names but every android will have that options. 

My phone was released this year too. 

Not all steps might be needed, for example I skipped step 4. Try to enable step 5 only and reboot the mobile. This might be the key to make it work. Some others are already reporting that the steps are working.

I understand you, it is a pain and we should not go through all this to make a simple notification working.

I hope that fitbit developers go through those steps and understand exactly which one is effecting their notifications and change their code to fix the problem.

Best Answer
Here, s what I did (fingers crossed) still working.
Settings >Apps or Applications Manager >
Best Answer
0 Votes

Updated: I tried @WarStreet's suggestion here but only downloaded the app. Works like a charm.

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Android-App/Notifications-possible-solution-for-unsupported-mobiles/...

Best Answer

I constantly have a notification to restart phone to reactive notifications. When I restart the same message comes straight back. This has been happening for weeks now. I was hoping the planned down time on fitbit on Thursday would have resolved yhis

I am using android and the charge hr

Best Answer
0 Votes

The synchronization has gotten so bad. Today, it tells me I didn't even sleep last night. It did not log my sleep at all... 

It would be really appreciate if Fitibit could take this very seriously as there are so many of us being affected here. Or I suppose we can all boycott and get something that actually works.

Best Answer

Reinstalling the app and clearing cache is only a temporary workaround, it may work for a few hours or 1~2 days, then it comes back again. Have to repeat the process again and again.

I have reinstalled Fitbit app for about 5~7 times already.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi,
Yup, im aware of this method, but this cant be the long term solution.
Fitbit needa keep up with the fast changing technology. 🙂
Best Answer
0 Votes

I just installed the app Fit notifications and followed their directions. Seems to be working, I'm getting emails and texts so far...

Best Answer
0 Votes