Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RESOLVED 06/16/2018: "Notification service not running" error

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update 06/16/2018

Thank you for reporting the error is not longer showing in the Fitbit app. This issue has been resolved with the release of the Fitbit app for Android, version 2.73. If you're still experiencing issues receiving notifications. Make sure to confirming that you're updated to the latest app release and following our notifications troubleshooting tips provided in this help article.

I'm moving forward in closing this thread as the issue has been resolved and there is no need to post future updates. If you have questions regarding the Compatibility of your phone, refer to this help article: Which phones and tablets can I use with my Fitbit watch or tracker?

Thank you for your continued patience as we worked to get this resolved.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Fitbit Update 05/09/2018

Hi, Android users!

Some of you may be seeing the following error message inside of the Fitbit for Android app:"Notification service not running. A phone restart is required to re-enable notifications on your tracker." Even if you perform a restart, the error message persists. 

Thanks for reporting! Our team has been notified and are investigating. We will make sure to update you all if we receive more information. In the meantime, we appreciate your patience. 

androidimage1.png

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
340 REPLIES 340

On my notification settings it keeps saying need to reset my phone for the notifications to work, I have switched my phone off, synced it back up and its still not working.

Moderator edit: subject for clarity

Best Answer

Same for me...v2.68 and I get the same "Notification service not running..." on my Charge 2

[Added screenshot, device is ASUS Zenfone 4-ZE554KL running Android 8.0.0]

Screenshot_20180327-215252_1.jpg

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having the same problem.  I have a Samsung galaxy s5.  The call notification works, but sms does not.  I tried restarting the phone several times, turning blue tooth on and off, several other things.  It was working fine when I first got my alta hr about 6 months ago.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I noticed similar issues - then within the Fitbit app on the phone, I went into the Ionic settings, clicked Notifications, and noticed that Textra was no longer selected for Text Messages.  Seems it reverted to the stock Messages app.  Once I corrected that, and turned calls back on (another change I didn't make)... I had to wait a bit for a text and call.  Both notifications are working again.

Sense & Aria Air - Previously: One, Charge HR, Charge 2, Ionic, Versa 2
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Princhessawrote:

I noticed similar issues - then within the Fitbit app on the phone, I went into the Ionic settings, clicked Notifications, and noticed that Textra was no longer selected for Text Messages.  Seems it reverted to the stock Messages app.  Once I corrected that, and turned calls back on (another change I didn't make)... I had to wait a bit for a text and call.  Both notifications are working again.

I have checked whatsapp, Yahoo mail and SMS..... but nothing comes up except the caller display when someone calls me. And I can receive the notification test message as well.

Steve

Best Answer
0 Votes

Bummer, then I'm at a loss.   Assuming restarted both phone and Ionic... After finally getting the OS2 update installed, I'm afraid to restart mine!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Princhessawrote:

Bummer, then I'm at a loss.   Assuming restarted both phone and Ionic... After finally getting the OS2 update installed, I'm afraid to restart mine!

Did you get the notification work?

Steve

Best Answer
0 Votes
No.

I am very disappointed and I really don't know what else I have to do.

By the way I am very curious to know if this is a problem that we only
facing because no-one else from community regular users/Fitbit response on
that.

Tasos
Best Answer
0 Votes

@octupuslauwrote:

@Princhessawrote:

Did you get the notification work?

Steve

Yeah, mine's working... which is why I'm afraid to restart it!  Don't want to disrupt the connection it has.  Been watching and it is syncing regularly too.  Mine started working right after I corrected the settings that somehow changed themselves during the update.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@stefanopouloswrote:
No.

that.

Tasos

Did you search "notification service" here, seems I recall seeing a message or two about it.  This one will likely get merged with them once noticed 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

@stefanopouloswrote:
No.

that.

Tasos

I suspect that the notification issue is from the Fitbit app version 2.68 because my Ionic didn't receive any notifications after having the fitbit app updated to V2.68 and it worked fine on previous version. So I think we have to wait for the coming new update of fitbit app to see if the notification issue be addressed.

Steve

Best Answer
0 Votes
You where write. Mine also has started to work on all notifications and
sync. So many restarts both wacth/phone and install/uninstall .

Any way let's hope it will stay

Tasos
Best Answer

@stefanopouloswrote:
You where write. Mine also has started to work on all notifications and
sync. So many restarts both wacth/phone and install/uninstall .

Any way let's hope it will stay

Tasos

Just now I re-started my phone and my Ionic. Wow It works again, I don't know why it didn't work for the last couple days no matter how many times I restart my phone and my Ionic. I hope it will remain the same after all and have my fingers crossed.

Steve

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey @Lozz27420, a warm welcome to the Forums.

I just wanted to let you know that I have move your post from the Blaze board to the Android app board to keep the order in the Community.

Now about the issue you are having, thanks for troubleshooting this by yourself. Could you please provide me with a screenshot of the message you are seeing by following the instructions provided in this post? In the meantime, verify you are doing the steps provided in the How do I setup calls/texts notifications? post in order to setup your notifications.

Hope to hear from you soon. Man Happy

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Here we go again

I started both phone and watch in order to make it work.

Do you know how we can escalate this issue to Fitbit in order to have an official answer?

Tasos

Best Answer

I have this problem too! Restart both the phone and watch and things start to work again but not for long. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@stefanopouloswrote:

Here we go again

I started both phone and watch in order to make it work.

Do you know how we can escalate this issue to Fitbit in order to have an official answer?

Tasos

I think we'd  better contact Fitibit support directly by email. My notification still works so far, I don't know why it didn't no matter how many times I restart the phone and my Ionic.

Steve

Best Answer
0 Votes

No, you're not alone, I have dame issue, phone and fit bit restarted, no change.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same issue for me and my wife. But different fit bits and different phones and started after last app update.

Best Answer

I am seeing this problem on a mate 10 pro as well.. why can they not get this right?!!?!?

Best Answer