Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resting Heart Rate high, not losing weight

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My resting heart rate is between 75 and 82bpm. I have been following the fitbit guidelines on how much calories to eat and such. About 90% of the time I am on target. The rest of the time just below or over about 100 calories. I am not losing weight. My sister thinks the fitbit isn't being accurate because of my high heart rate. I am always in the fat burning zone or cardio zone. So, it says I am burning more calories, probably more than I really am, and that is why I am probably not losing weight. I do have it set up for weight loss, not maintaining weight. Is there a way to adjust the fitbit so it is more accurate on how many calories I am allowed?

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

Hi there @preciousraymond, nice to see you are visiting the Fitbit Community! I was reading your post an I believe your resting heart rate is in a normal range. According to the American Heart Association website, the average resting heart rate is 60-80 beats per minute. Usually resting heart rate changed based on different factors, but for more details see the American Heart Association's All About Heart Rate article.

With the calories allowance, note that the number will always fluctuate since the food plan tool will change based on the calorie consumption and the amount of exercise you practice in a day. I'm going to quote a section of our help article to give you clear this information:

"As you log your food, your daily calorie and macronutrient estimates will constantly update to show how much you can still eat for the rest of the day while staying within your goal zone. As long as you are within 50 calories of your daily estimate when you log your last meal, you will have met your plan's recommendation for the day.

The Calories In vs Calories Out meter gives you a look at where you are for the current time of day. This will continually update (assuming your tracker syncs regularly) depending on the food logged and your activity level. Your activity level is determined by the steps you take, any exercises recorded by your tracker, and any activities you log manually. As you walk and exercise through the day, your caloric allowance will adjust to let you know how much more you can eat while staying within your goal zone".

I had a similar conversation with an user a long ago, but perhaps that conversation will provide you more information of the food plan functionality. Although keep in mind this is base on the web-dashboard. You can find this thread here: How does calorie counter work?

Hope this helps. See you around in the next opportunity.

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well, no that doesn't really help. I guess the fitbit just isn't really that helpful. I stay in the guidelines and it isn't helping me to lose weight at all. So it can't be all that accurate then. Thanks for your help. I will see if a family member wants it from me. Money thrown in the trash basically.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have similar problems..as I cut calories my resting heart rate lowers the next dag but the scale never goes down. Apparently the 2 aren't related ? Seems funny. 

Anyway Fitbit I find is sometimes wrong.. the best thing we ca  do ( which I always get off track to)I find is listen to your body if you feel hunger that is... I just feel tiredness these days and figure it's time to eat..I think I have adrenaline fatigue.

Another thing I think if all else fails .. this is hard for me cuz I like takeout sugary coffee is to find a good number of calories to follow that seemed to work for you..I dont know if it's the same for all women ( I think it may have something to do with how tall you are to) is to keep your calories to a certain number ... my magic number seems to be 1500 ... but I am frequently eating about 2000 ... I definately burn enough to be allowed to but if I go over 1500 it seems like it's never good. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey Precious, from personal experimentation and results from friends I’ve found that there is a slight inaccuracy with what fitbit tells you you’ve burned. 
Your calorie burn is ofcourse only an estimate, it’s a great starting point! 
I would take off an additional 10% from your current plan to get into a calorie deficit.

So say for example, your fitbit says your burn 2000 cals a day, you’re eating 1500 to lose weight, drop it by a further 200 cals to get into a deficit.

Ofcourse if you’re that low, 1300cals isn’t much, up your activity level to add more calories. 

Best Answer
0 Votes