Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sleep Tracking of "Naps" and Missing Sleep Stages

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

The sleep tracking feature has been producing some strange data. I know that, if you are sedentary for an hour or more, the tracker will think you're asleep; and I delete those as they occur. However, today it said I was "asleep" from 12:18-1:20 when I was up and about for a good part of that time. The first two attachments show the graph and data from that "nap", and the third attachment shows that I had 29 "active minutes" between 12:30 and 1:15 (although I didn't do much more than walk in my house for those 29 minutes). I got just about the same amount of activity credit for the 1-1/2 hours when I was exercising at the gym this morning! 

Since the latest update to 2.78 on 9/4, I have had to delete a lot of naps not taken in the last few days, more than I usually need to delete. I have also not gotten sleep stages since the latest update, which I had been getting more consistently since the beginning of July after getting them only sporadically since getting the tracker in early February.

Is anyone else finding that the sleep tracking is getting worse?

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg.

Charge 2 | Android Galaxy S7
Best Answer
0 Votes
7 REPLIES 7

Hello @PaulaBar.

Thank you very much for sharing those screenshots and explaining what is going on.

The sleep tracking happens from the Fitbit itself, not the app. As such, it could be that something is off with the device. What Fitbit are you using? 

As for the active minutes, please do keep in mind that they are not necessarily defined as 'minutes you were active'. You can read more about how they are tracked  in here and it might clarify the situation a bit. 

In the meantime please try to restart your Fitbit as it should help with the sleep tracking.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

@LanuzaFitbit wrote:

Hello @PaulaBar.

Thank you very much for sharing those screenshots and explaining what is going on.

The sleep tracking happens from the Fitbit itself, not the app. As such, it could be that something is off with the device. What Fitbit are you using? 

As for the active minutes, please do keep in mind that they are not necessarily defined as 'minutes you were active'. You can read more about how they are tracked  in here and it might clarify the situation a bit. 

In the meantime please try to restart your Fitbit as it should help with the sleep tracking.

I am using the Charge 2. As far as the mysterious 29 minutes it showed me as "active" while also showing that I was taking a nap, I was not doing anything more strenuous than normal walking in my house. I did restart my tracker yesterday afternoon, since I had a feeling I was going to be asked to do that. Since this was the first time this particular anomaly occurred, I can't say that will help to avoid it happening again. I can tell you that, since the restart, the app showed that I went to bed at 10:09pm last night and woke up at 7:17am this morning when, in fact, I went to bed at 11:35pm and got up at 6:30am. This after restarting the tracker, charging the battery and syncing the tracker before I went to bed to be sure it wasn't showing that I took a nap while I was watching TV last night.

*Edited to add: Not only was it showing I went to bed at 10:09pm, it also showed that I climbed 12 floors from 10-10:15pm...there are no stairs in my house.

If this is in fact a tracker issue and not an app issue, can you move this to the Charge 2 Forum?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @PaulaBar.

Thanks for answering my questions and trying all of that previous to posting in here.

I'll be definitely moving it to the Charge 2 board.

Maybe you could try changing the sleep sensitivity settings. You can read more about it in here. Try that and keep me posted on how it goes.

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

@LanuzaFitbit wrote:

Hello @PaulaBar.

Thanks for answering my questions and trying all of that previous to posting in here.

I'll be definitely moving it to the Charge 2 board.

Maybe you could try changing the sleep sensitivity settings. You can read more about it in here. Try that and keep me posted on how it goes.

Thanks for moving it to the proper board. My sleep sensitivity setting is set at normal, which is the setting I had read back in March was the correct setting when I was trying to get sleep stages to work, which has still not been working consistently.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @PaulaBar.

Thanks for letting me know. 

To be sure about it, let's try to change the sleep settings to sensitive and see if you do find any improvement on the sleep tracking. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@LanuzaFitbit wrote:

Hello @PaulaBar.

Thanks for letting me know. 

To be sure about it, let's try to change the sleep settings to sensitive and see if you do find any improvement on the sleep tracking. 

I don't see how changing the sleep setting to sensitive would help. If anything, it seems to me it would be more "sensitive" to inactivity than it already is and show me as taking a nap more times than it already does. I am constantly deleting "naps" when in fact I'm sitting and watching TV or reading.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey @PaulaBar.

The sensitive settings would change how perceptive your Fitbit is to changes in movement and HR. Taking that into consideration, then it would be like it is taking a closer look at how your body and HR behaves and thus might not track as much naps and should have an easier time detecting the changed between your sleep stages.

Best Answer
0 Votes