Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Things that count

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

So I got my Fitbit this morning and I've been wearing it since. I've hardly walked anywhere but I've been very active doing DIY; sawing, hammering and lifting. It's counting at 5000 steps but there's noway I've done near that, although I have been very active. Do I need to change some settings or do I just need to accept that some activities will be counted as steps? Thanks in advance

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi, @Greenmantom! Yes, unfortunately, some activities are counted as steps. On the bright side, if you have a heart rate model, your calories are based mostly on the heart rate, not the steps, so it won't be so accurate. The only thing you can try to help is to change the setting for the wrist you are wearing it on to "dominant" and still wear the tracker on your non-dominant wrist, which should help make the tracker less sensitive to hand movement, but in general there's not a whole lot you can do.

MakMak | Community Council

If you find a response useful, please mark it as a solution to help others.

Check out the Lifestyle Forums for ways to get more active!

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

Hi, @Greenmantom! Yes, unfortunately, some activities are counted as steps. On the bright side, if you have a heart rate model, your calories are based mostly on the heart rate, not the steps, so it won't be so accurate. The only thing you can try to help is to change the setting for the wrist you are wearing it on to "dominant" and still wear the tracker on your non-dominant wrist, which should help make the tracker less sensitive to hand movement, but in general there's not a whole lot you can do.

MakMak | Community Council

If you find a response useful, please mark it as a solution to help others.

Check out the Lifestyle Forums for ways to get more active!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for that, much appreciated. I do have a heart rate model so that's good to know. I've change which wrist I'm wearing my bit on and with being more aware of how it works I'll be able to mitigate the effect in future. 

Thanks for taking the time to answer!

Tom

Best Answer
0 Votes