Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does the App not offer me the option of Bike - When I go to track an activity.

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Why does the App not offer me the option of Bike - When I go to track an activity. Okay, my Fitbit does but why not the App?

If I track a Bike ride by just using my Fitbit charge 3 will it use GPS to map the ride?

Best Answer
14 REPLIES 14

@KeithSloan wrote:

If I track a Bike ride by just using my Fitbit charge 3 will it use GPS to map the ride?

Yes, if you enable GPS for the Bike Exercise Shortcut for the Charge 3, and if you have your phone with you for the Charge 3 to connect to (you have to ensure your phone granted rights to Fitbit to use the GPS).

Best Answer
0 Votes

What about from the App on the phone? Is it correct you do not get given the option of bike, just Walk, Run,Hike ?

Had to search on the net to find the option to enable GPS when tracking bike ride initiated by fitbit rather than app on the phone. But thanks for that

Best Answer

@KeithSloan wrote:

What about from the App on the phone? Is it correct you do not get given the option of bike, just Walk, Run,Hike ?

That is correct, the only exercises you can track through the app is Run, Walk, and Hike.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Why? Tracking through the app is more accurate. I tracked a bike ride today and the GPS was crap. Had me starting & stopping in different places even though we started & stopped at my car. No mileage, no speed, none of the info that I can get with other apps. I shouldn't have to use two apps to track my data. GPS obviously disconnected but phone was in a mesh pouch less Tha a foot from my arm. 

Best Answer

100% agree with pjb_1962.  Fix your app.  Fitbit is one of the top tracking devices on the market and yet this contiues to be an issue? 

Best Answer

It's been two years, can you add bike to the trackable exercises in the app? I moved states and now my GPS won't stay connected to the charge 3, when it was working just fine before I moved. 

Best Answer

Do I conclude I cannot start tracking a bike ride using the iPhone App?

Best Answer

Hello @David_in_Lux and welcome to the Help forum.  The tracking in the phone app is a feature Fitbit calls MobileRun.  It was Fitbit's first method that did GPS tracking.  It's been around for a while -- it was released before any Fitbit had an Exercise App on the device, before it could track a bike ride.  Fitbit chose not to change MobileRun to allow biking.  I don't see it happening at this point.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

For specific help all user manuals may be found here 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Still a limitation that competitors have fixed. Really a shame. I just “upgraded” from a amazafit watch. And I’ve lost features. Disappointing. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

it’s unbelievable to me that a device that is mainly geared towards fitness that a bicycle isnt among the exercise options that use gps. 99% of the time i use strava and map my ride because mapmyride gives me voice notification of my miles, (for free thankyou very much)  distance and time. It’s totally ridiculous that i need to use 3 different apps for one device. Does fitbit not listen to what consumers want or do they just not give a rats **ahem** as long as they continue to sell. 

Best Answer

You are correct

Best Answer

The new Charge 5 cannot provide accurate heart monitoring and accurate gps at the same time. At the very least they could give me a biking option on the app. 

Also have to use multiple apps. Sigh. 

Best Answer

This thread is about the android app. @Lynnrlou your fitbit device is more than capable of tracking a bike ride, by manually starting or by letting fitbit decide. 

Best Answer