Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't connect to Samsung Galaxy j3

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
Cannot receive text message alerts on Samsung Galaxy j3 is anyone else having this problem with Alta? Have tried everything
Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi Samsung Galaxy J3 users, I was reading all your posts and have appreciate all the feedback provided about the compatibility of the Fitbit app with this phone. 

The Samsung Galaxy J3 has all the hardware requirements to be a supported device but is currently not on our list of supported devices. This means that we have not tested it for compatibility and added it to the list yet. With not compatible devices many factors can caused difficulties at the moment to sync as it was mentioned before by my friend @MariamV.

As an alternative, despite I know is not the best solution. I suggest setting up using a computer in the meantime.

Rest assure the Fitbit app is compatible with more than 200 Apple, Android, and Windows 10 phones and tablets. We're continually adding more devices and improving our compatibility for the convenience of our users.

See you later and once again thank you for all your comments.

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
81 REPLIES 81

A warm welcome to the Community @bobbiev. The reason why your tracker is not connecting with your phone is because Samsung Galaxy J3 is not a compatible phone. Our team is testing the compatibility of several phones. I recommend taking a look at our list of compatible mobile devices for any update.

See you around! Woman Happy

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer

This is totally pathetic, I bought this fitbit as a gift for my wife only to find that her older Windows phone did support the Fitbit app . . . but not this model of the fitbit.

Not a huge problem since she needed a new phone, so today we went out and bought an Android phone only to find that now fitbit is saying that the J3 is not supported . . . but the J5 is. This is ridiculous that a device like the Fitbit is so darn prissy about which devices it will and will not work with.

The stupid thing is that it IS communicating, it pairs fine and some data even gets through so is this really a compatibility issue or is it just poorly written software and Fitbit are using product compatibility as an excuse?

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer

@davy255 welcome to the forums. Cat Wink Actually, in order to be a supported device it has to be on the list of supported devices. This also means that our Android team has not yet tested it for compatibility and added it to the list. If the device supports BLE (Bluetooth 4.0), I suggest giving the setup process a try.

If that does not work, I suggest setting up and syncing via a device listed as supported or using a computer. Our team is always working to test and add more Android devices to the supported devices list, so keep an eye open for updates! Cat Very Happy Catch you later!

Mariam | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you receive the answer you were looking for? Mark the post as an accepted solution! 🙂

Best Answer

Is there any idea of when it will be compatible? I was going to get the Fitbit Blaze and the scale for myself for Christmas, but I have a J3 and am not going to have an upgraded phone for a while...

Best Answer

Hey, hey, hey @booklvr630! It's nice having you around. Smiley Happy We don't really have an expected time frame for when the Samsung Galaxy J3 will be a supported device. Our team is testing the compatibility of several phones, therefore I encourage you to keep an eye to the list of compatible devices. Also, I suggest making your voice heard in the Feature Suggestion board by creating an idea of having this phone compatible. I wasn't able to find one already but you can definitely create a new one. The more votes and comments it receives, the more visibility it gains. 

You can definitely use a computer to set up and sync your Blaze. I suggest setting up and syncing using a computer. Our team is always working to test and add more Android devices to the supported devices list, so keep an eye open for updates!

Good luck and keep me posted! Robot Happy

Did you receive the answer you were looking for? Mark the post as an accepted solution! 🙂

Best Answer

So does that mean we have to wait for android to update and recognise this issue until we can connect the two?

Best Answer

Glad to see you around @AltaEva! Well, in the meantime you could use a different device or computer to set up your tracker. As this device isn't compatible yet. However, how I stated before our devs are always adding new devices to the list.

I've found this idea in the Feature Suggestion board on adding this device (Add Samsung Galaxy j3 as a compatible phone). Make sure to add your votes and comments in this idea so it gains visibility! Smiley Happy

Good luck!

Best Answer

Actually you don't ever plan to make phones that are already on the market compatible you just expect people to go out and buy new, compatible iphones with all of our throw away cash. I have to keep a 4 year old disposable phone hanging around only because it was the 1 one, one! Phone I have ever owned that has connected to your garbage software.

Moderator edit: format and word choice

Best Answer

@Valkyrie911 welcome to the forums! Thanks for your feedback. Well, of course our team of developers is always working to add more and more devices that meet the requirements for your Fitbit tracker to sync with your mobile device. Bluetooth 4.0 (BLE) is necessary for it to sync. Add your votes and comments in the idea posted above. Good luck! 

Best Answer

I recently purchased a Fitbit Alta for my wife. It has synced with her Galaxy J3 phone perfectly for 4 days and suddenly stopped syncing today Any reasons why? I have gone through the trouble shooting pages and still it will not sync 

Best Answer
Try resetting it. I'm surprised you got it to connect at all since the J3
is unsupported. Funny how they told me the requirement was the version of
Bluetooth that the J3 has but the only device I own that does sync doesn't.
I still say the syncing issues have zero to do with Bluetooth and
everything to do with Fitbit's own programming.
Best Answer

My Samsung galaxy j5 (2016) won't find my charge hr2 with Bluetooth. My old Motorola moto G did.

Best Answer

So I bought my mom a fitbit flex 2 as a christmas gift this year. I had no idea that fitbit wasnt compatible with all devices. If I had known this I would have never bought it! This should be made well aware to customers! She has a samsung galaxy j3. We have had nothing but issues with it, it will sync for a few days and then stops. I have emailed customer service over and over again and get no where. All they have us do it reset it... which works, but only for a few days then it stops again. Never once in any of these emails did anyone ever mention that the device is not compatible with all phones, but now after discovering this forum I am assuming that this is why we are having so many issues. My questions now is how do I get my money back? My mom is unable to upgrade her phone for another 2 years. There is no sense in us paying for a device that isn't going to work. I really think this company should make sure that they look into making customers more aware that not all phones are compatible.  Sorry for the rant... this just really upsets me

Best Answer

@Sezza @SunsetRunner it's still not a compatible device. I've found this idea in the Feature Suggestion board on adding this device (Add Samsung Galaxy j3 as a compatible phone). Make sure to add your votes and future comments in this idea so it gains visibility! Smiley Happy Oh and welcome to the forums! 

@Valkyrie911 thanks for stopping by and for providing us your feedback! Our team is testing the compatibility for several mobile devices, therefore I encourage you to keep an eye to the list of compatible devices. Catch you later! 

Hey there, welcome aboard @Smiller05! Thanks for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. Please keep in mind that our team of developers is always working to add more and more devices that meet the requirements for your mom's Fitbit tracker to sync with her mobile device. Also, please note that she can still pair and sync using a computer. Check out the set up instruction by clicking here. If you'd like to discuss refund possibilities, then I suggest contacting our Support Team for further assistance! Smiley Happy

Best Answer

I replaced my Fitbit HR with a Fitbit Alta HR as I wanted to receive notification of calls and texts. After trying everything to enable this, I went onto the forum only to find that it is not compatible with my Samsung Galaxy J3. It is compatible with the Samsung Galaxy J, so why not the J3?

Best Answer

Welcome to the forums, @Saj13 thanks for your input. Our team is testing the compatibility for several mobile devices, therefore I encourage you to keep an eye to the list of compatible devices. Catch you later! Smiley Happy

Best Answer

Unfortunately, I have received a standard reply which did not help. I still cannot receive alerts, which was my reason for purchasing the Alta HR fitbit. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Saj13 thanks for getting back to me! Please note that in order for all features to properly work your mobile device has to be listed as a compatible device.

The Samsung Galaxy J3 has been tested but not yet listed as compatible so I would not be able to guarantee that all features will work on 100%.

Best Answer

Well, I can answer this for you @MariamV, it doesn't!  I've found that it worked fine for a few days and then it decided it would first not to sync and then it would not use the GPS to overlay my walk on the app map and, as the final insult, it now cannot even see the Alta!  I have reset the alta and use both my computer and ipod to sync but the GPS feature is now useless.  I am most unimpressed to learn that FitBit have put a product out that doesn't work with a commonly held phone.

Best Answer