Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria 2 inaccurate body fat readings

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I recently completed an in-depth bio metrics analysis using a BodPod, the most accurate commercial analysis on the market, and learned I had 17% body fat. The Aria 2 tells me I have 29.5% body fat. I am a fitness instructor and muscular body type and believe the first number is more accurate. Is anyone else having this same issue? Or does my Aria 2 need to be returned?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
251 REPLIES 251

It has to be a calibration issue, some units show reasonable measurements others don't... My scale puts me at 23% BF. At the same time I somewhat visible abs, veins on forearms, biceps and shoulders, i.e not how an obese person looks like. Old-school measurements put me closer to 15-17%, that's a difference of 5-8% which is ridiculous...

I'll be keeping my scale as I didn't have any prior to getting my Aria 2 and I do like the sync functionality quite a bit...

Best Answer
0 Votes

You've proven my earlier point about our unchallenged love of technology. As long as the "inaccurate" data is sync'd, that's ok? I personally can't accept that.

Best Answer

The wight is accurate and it is sync'd into my app so I can track it in a nice graph... While I would be able to do the same with an analogue scale and excel, Aria does that for me automatically without any hick-ups. So they got that right at least. Heck, I don't own another scale...

Point me to a competitor with this functionality around the same price point and I might reconsider... Until then I'll stick with my Aria 2, thanks.

Best Answer

I understand your stance completely. My point is simply that any products value (forget the price) is based on reliability and consistency. The fact that it works for "some" people but not for others does not provide me with a vote of confidence. I would have liked to see a more positive response from Fitbit regarding the why's of poor performance.

Best Answer

Indeed, we're all waiting for a fitbit representative to address this issue... I am not holding my breath unfortunately... 

Best Answer

Consider this workaround - you weigh yourself on a medical balance beam scale at 180 lbs. You weigh yourself on the Aria 2 at 182.5 lbs. Wouldn't a software tweak be great where you enter a 2.5 lb. compensation number into your dashboard. Corrects the problem. Later, if the variance changes, re-enter the factor. This could be a positive or negative compensator. 

Best Answer

As mentioned in this thread, if your body fat seems to be too high switching the scale to lean mode is recommended, even if you do not consider yourself a high-performance athlete, it seems to be more accurate for some. If your body fat percentage seems too low, check if it is in lean mode, you should then likely switch to regular. 

Other tips: 

• If you pick up and move your scale between measurements, or store it sideways against a wall when not in use, the scale will calibrate the next time it's used. You may need to weigh yourself 2 or more consecutive times before the scale calibrates and shows consistent measurements.
  • Place your scale on a hard surface during use. Carpet, linoleum, or any other flooring with resilience may affect the accuracy of the scale's readings.
  • Your weight and body fat percentage naturally vary over the course of a day and can change based on what you eat and drink as well as your body stance, age, height, level of exercise, and perspiration. For consistency, weigh yourself first thing in the morning before eating, drinking, or exercising. If you’re wearing clothes, dress lightly and remove your shoes and socks.
  • Your body fat percentage may be affected if you weigh yourself while holding a heavy object.\
  • For the most accurate BMI and body fat percentage result, your height, age, and gender must be correct in your Fitbit profile.

Please note, Aria and Aria 2 estimate your body fat percentage using body impedance. Because several different methods can determine body fat percentage and none are 100% accurate, the scale's body fat reading may not perfectly match other scales or manual methods such as calipers.

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer

I’m having the same issue it’s way off. I know that calculating big boned people is different for calculating BMI and body fat % but there is no way I’m 44% Body Fat! When I calculate using body measurements and bio markers I calculate my Body fat = 24.9 %.

this is an expensive scale that makes grand claims about its product features. Hopefully this can be calibrated?

Best Answer

@AntoPod wrote:

I’m having the same issue it’s way off. I know that calculating big boned people is different for calculating BMI and body fat % but there is no way I’m 44% Body Fat! When I calculate using body measurements and bio markers I calculate my Body fat = 24.9 %.

this is an expensive scale that makes grand claims about its product features. Hopefully this can be calibrated?

I offered what I thought would be a workable solution. The ability to enter a one time calibration number into our dashboard. My scale is off by +1.5 lbs. If I could enter -1.5 into the program, my problem is solved. Why couldn't the same be done for body fat%

Best Answer
Applying a variance for weight is an easy fix however the calculations for determining BMI & Body Fat percentage is more complicated and factors: Gender, Height, weight, age, circumference of waist & hips and even wrist circumference.

These bio-markers provide approximations to quantify the ratio of Fat, lean muscle tissues, bones, organ and even water weight.

Certainly far to complicated for the average lamen to apply a single variance to accommodate and tare from the Fitbit dashboard. In my case it’s a massive variance of close to 20 % points.

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer
0 Votes

Here is what fixed this problem for me,

My scale first showed that I was at 35% body fat.  Which is highly unlikely.  So I pinged Fitbit, and they suggested I change my settings to "lean."  I did so, and now I am at 25% body fat.  Again, highly unlikely. So I sent the scale back and got another one.

Same issue with he new scale. Which was very frustrating.  So much so, that I was about to send the scale back, again,

Then I noticed that when I signed onto my dashboard, it flagged me to complete my profile and sellect my gender.  When I looked, it stated male.  Yet this Flagg came up every time,

Thinking this might be the issue, I selected my gender as female, saved it, and then went back in and selected my gender back to male.

The "complete profile" flag went away, and my scale now reads a body fat percentage of 13%.

Hopefully this can help others with working out this very frustrating issue.  

Regards,

Best Answer

I found the same thing. My previous scale was measuring me around 23% body fat. First time on the Aria 2 showed my body fat at 27.2%. Not quite as extreme as your situation, but still alarming. I double checked my settings to confirm my gender and height were correct which they were. Planning to try switching to "Lean" mode to see how that measures, but seems more like a Band-Aid than a true fix. Considering returning for another brand. Fortunately I purchased from Amazon so returning shouldn't be an issue. Very disappointed.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks I am trying a replacement scale first and if that doesn’t work I’ll have to consider my options.

Thanks for your feedback.

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer
0 Votes

My details taken at the same time/weight:

DEXA scan estimated body fat 26%

Aria 2 estimated body fat 34%

I agree with other posts. The body fat percentage IS wildly inaccurate. It is counterproductive for a health promoting device to state my body fat percentage is 31% higher than it actually is.

I would like Fitbit to provide evidence to this forum that they have calibrated/proven their expensive device is accurate and consistent with their marketing. Where is Fitbit's proof?

And yes, like other users I have:

Checked my profile height, weight and gender are correct,

Placed the scale on a flat tile floor, not stored on its side,

Weigh using bare feet,

Reset the device by taking batteries out, and

Measured at least 5 times since reset.

Best Answer

@Ash_S wrote:
I already have sent it back, and they said I should foot the bill (£42!!!)

UK (and as far as I know European)  law states that Fitbit must pay for return postage if the item is faulty. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I was reading today that athletes or more athletic people will need to change their settings to "lean" in order for the BMI or BFP to be accurate.

I would say looking at the charts below, if you are at or under what the underfoot number for your age group is then you may need to change to the lean setting to get more accurate  results.

Women:

• 20-40 yrs old: Underfat: under 21 percent, Healthy: 21-33 percent, Overweight: 33-39 percent, Obese: Over 39 percent
  • 41-60 yrs old: Underfat: under 23 percent, Healthy: 23-35 percent, Overweight : 35-40 percent Obese: over 40 percent
  • 61-79 yrs old: Underfat: under 24 percent, Healthy: 24-36 percent, Overweight: 36-42 percent, Obese: over 42 percent

Men:

• 20-40 yrs old: Underfat: under 8 percent, Healthy: 8-19 percent, Overweight: 19-25 percent, Obese: over 25 percent
  • 41-60 yrs old: Underfat: under 11 percent, Healthy: 11-22 percent, Overweight: 22-27 percent, Obese: over 27 percent
  • 61-79 yrs old: Underfat: under 13 percent, Healthy: 13-25 percent, Overweight: 25-30 percent, Obese: over 30 percent

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just bought a new Aria 2 to replace my Aria that had gone haywire and would not connect to the internet anymore. My new scale worked fine for about 2 weeks.  Now it will not only properly recognize users, but it is raising my body fat almost every time I get on the scale. I have been tracking my body fat using the old Aria for years and they Aria 2 gave me similar measurements up until about a week ago when it decided that 40% of me was fat. (at one point 49%).  The scale is not yet a month old.  As a side note, I am also having trouble with my Fitbit charge 2 and how it calculates calories burned and keeps track of heartbeat while working out. Getting really close to moving to another vendor. 

So my scale was giving me a fairly accurate at least to my knowledge body fat.  Then it went nuts and couldn't recognize the difference between me and my wife.  Then it started adding a couple of % to my body fat every time I got on the scale. I am currently @ something  like 50% I think.  I have been around technology for most of my life Charge 2 and Aria 2 are riddled with bugs and design issues.  They can give you all the tips they want, but its all made up stuff and they are just dancing around the May pole.  My Aria and my charge worked together just fine for a long time then they scale went haywire and would not connect to my network, so I got the new scale.  It has not worked properly since day one. They have problems and that's a fact. It isn't user error and by the way, you shouldn't have to play games with settings to make it work.  

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes
Agreed.
In fact my last comments to this post where deleted from the comments and I was told that they were removed because I was abusive!

When in actual fact I was writing how angry I was about how inaccurate the scale was after I replaced the Aria 2 with a new one, my Body fat % went UP from 44.5% to 51 %. At my height 6'2", I would have to be over 340 lbs for that to be true. Its not possible at 245lbs.

Anyhow, its unfortunate how customer service treats their customers but the Body Fat % is simply not functioning.
Best Answer

Just a comment on Antopod "big boned"

I dont think that sets the scale off.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/03/are-you-big-boned-truth_n_6075706.html

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having the reverse problem... my body fat % even in normal mode is showing as 13.5% and I am a female.  My other scale shows 18.5%.  There is absolutely no explanation, I have reset it by taking out hte batteries, tried setting it on its side between measurements so it re-calibrates... switched the lean mode on and off.  So seems this scale is just extremely inaccurate.  I am def. a fit person, but 13.5% is extremely low, and my BMI is 20 hah.  Doesn't seem like there is a fix for this, so seems like I too wll have to return it.  It also seems to lack a lot of stats I was expecting to see like lean mass.  My other scale does bone mass, muscle mass, water %, and body fat.  I guess I should have been happy with what I have in the first place, I just thought perhaps Fitbit would be an upgrade/more accurate.

Best Answer
0 Votes