Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria 2 inaccurate body fat readings

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I recently completed an in-depth bio metrics analysis using a BodPod, the most accurate commercial analysis on the market, and learned I had 17% body fat. The Aria 2 tells me I have 29.5% body fat. I am a fitness instructor and muscular body type and believe the first number is more accurate. Is anyone else having this same issue? Or does my Aria 2 need to be returned?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
251 REPLIES 251

The body fat measurements are indeed very interesting. According to the scale I managed to loose 2kg weight in 4 days, while gaining almost 3kg of fat.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same issue just had a professional body scan.  The Aria reports 10% higher.  My 10 year old $15.99 scale off amazon looks like it’s going to be more accurate.    Fitbit screwed the pooch on this one from the release wait to finally turning out a bs product.  Most expensive paper weight ever.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there, I just got the Aria 2 on the weekend.

A bit more complicated to start using than I was anticipating.  Fortunately, I am now finally able to get weighed, however, it is not picking up nor providing me with the amount of body fat % and I am standing on it barefoot.

Please advise what needs to be done so the scale can accurately obtain my BF %.  Thank you!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hey there to start tracking your BF % and Lean muscle you need to do this:

1. Launch the Fitbit app
2. Tap account
3. Select Aria 2
4. Select ‘People using this Scale’
5. Select your name
6. Turn on the Body Fat% and BMI
7. Your scale will now preview your results when standing on the scale & track your stats on your Fitbit dashboard

Cheers
Best Answer
0 Votes

awesome!  thank you!!  Will need to see if it works when I get home.  🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just switched out from my old cheaper scale that uses similar tech. That said I was a little over 24% body fat, where as the aria 2 says I'm 19%.

Don't get me wrong, the 19% would be nice if I believed it, but visually I think the 24% is more realistic

I have messed around switching it to lean and I get about the same 😕

A little disappointed with the accuracy. Thinking about taking it back and just sticking with el cheapo unless there is some help soon

Best Answer

I got my Aria 2 as part of a weight loss program at work.  At first, it appeared to register my BF% correctly.  However, today my BF increased by 15% (4 percentage points) even though I've lost weight.  I haven't changed any settings from the first day.  The only difference I can think of is the first two days, I registered my weight and BF prior to my shower but today I did it after my shower.  My feet were a little damp but not wet.  Could damp feet be the reason for this increase in BF%?

Best Answer
Hello gvanzant1 (Runner).
There isn’t an explanation for the variance other than the Aria 2 BF % is wholey inaccurate.

At 200lbs an increased variance of 4% overnight translates to a 10lbs gain of fatty tissues, which just isn’t possible.

The technology used is BEI or Bioelectrical impedance, which passes electrical charge through the body to calculate fatty vs lean tissues. The biggest challenge has to do with hydration, which is why you shouldn’t measure after a workout.

That said dehydration can cause a variance of up to 5% but that’s actually an increase in perceived lean muscle tissue which suggests a Loss if 5% BF, which is a false reading.

Wet feet on glass presents a risk of slipping and falling off the scale and causing injury. That’s why you should keep feet dry when standing on the scale.

Hope that’s healthful.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m getting the same problem. My original Aria Scale was having problems, but my BF% always around 17-19%. My new Aria 2 puts my BF% at 20-21%. When I set my profile to lean, I’m getting 10.3%. If I change my profile back to Normal, I get 15% readings, but it slowly creeps higher each day, eventually getting back to 20-21%. 

I tried an Omron BF511 Scale, which have me readings around 15-16%, and I suspect that this is reasonably accurate (for an impedance Scale). 

If FitBit had a third setting - between Lean and Normal - or alternatively, an option to enter a correction for the BF reading, it would probably be a decent compromise. 

Best Answer

Changing to lean did nothing. I don’t weigh a whole lot and mine reads 41% body fat. I purchased from Kohl’s ...this return will be easy! Crazy

Best Answer
What’s nuts his fit bit has to be reading all of these nasty post. yes, they’ve done nothing about it.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

My scale went off the rails again yesterday. It can't tell the difference between me and my wife anymore.  This is about the 10th time for that one for me.  I am curious if they have the ability to do anything about this stuff with firmware upgrades or they are just stuck with a bunch of unhappy folks with a bad product??

Best Answer
0 Votes

Possibly the scale is using the height to "correct" the body fat percentage?  

Since the scale asks you for your height it may be incorrectly adjusting your body fat based on the BMI...

A good test, but haven't tried it yet:  if you set your scale to a foot taller than you are, does the scale show your body fat decreasing?

It shouldn't.    Thoughts?

Best Answer
0 Votes

So my scale has always had a mind of its own. Over the past week it lost the ability to identify me or my wife as users without us doing it manually.  Then it dropped my wife and made her a quest. Then it arbitrarily added 10% to my body fat.  None of that should happen if the system is stable.  and you shouldn't have to jury rig the scale to get it to perform properly.  There a 100's of posts on this site full of tips, tricks and traps for a $129 scale that just doesn't perform as advertised.  We have two users in our house, I can't imagine what would happen if we had 5 or 6.  The entire Fitbit ecosystem is really suspect from one end to the other, starting with the wrist and running all the way to on-line management software. It continues to be a disappointment.  And, I have been a user for years across multiple devices. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hopefully this post stays up. They keep deleting my comments. It’s very Orwellian. 2+2=5

Best Answer
0 Votes
I think that’s what’s so disappointing. Fitbit is the “industry leader” in the space so people pay a premium. However their stock price has dropped relative to their quality of product.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
I don’t think it will change anything becUse the BF% is calculated with BIA Bioelectric impedance which uses an electrical current passes through the body to determine the ratio of Lean muscle tissue and fat.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same problem with the original scale.  I go to the BodPod every 3 months and the fitbit scale (weight) is dead on correct every time.  However, the BodyFat percentage is off by 10%--dead even every time. So, although I know I am not obese, the scale basically puts me in that category.   I can track my fat loss as a relative number, but it sure is frustrating, and tough on the self esteem, to know that it is so incorrect.  Not a worthwhile investment, but I am stuck with it.  

Best Answer
Tell me about it.
I was so excited to get it for Christmas and since having the issues I’ve barely stepped in the scale and to be honest it really has done a number on my self esteem. Really a bad customer experience
Best Answer

I have weighed five times in five minutes and the bf% of The Aria 2 has varied by 2%. I am standing in the exact same place.  why so much variation? Should I send the scale back?

Best Answer
0 Votes