Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria 2 inaccurate body fat readings

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I recently completed an in-depth bio metrics analysis using a BodPod, the most accurate commercial analysis on the market, and learned I had 17% body fat. The Aria 2 tells me I have 29.5% body fat. I am a fitness instructor and muscular body type and believe the first number is more accurate. Is anyone else having this same issue? Or does my Aria 2 need to be returned?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
251 REPLIES 251

@Daniel2876 Welcome to the Fitbit forums! I want to follow up on your case and would like to turn the bad experience you have with your Aria 2 into a good experience. I want to know if you have tried any troubleshooting steps in order to correct the body fat issues that your scale is experiencing.

If you haven't restarted your scale, please take out the batteries for 15 seconds and put them back in. Once this has been done, weigh yourself 5 times in a row in order to re-calibrate your scale and see if the issue persists.

Let me know how it goes my friend! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes
So I’m not really sure what I was supposed to be seeing but I removed the
batteries, weighed myself 5 times & the results were pretty much the same
each time. Body fat still in the 50% range. The number only varied by 0.1%.
53.3% the first three times and 53.2% the last two times. I’ve lost almost
140 pounds now and I would love to see that number come down but maybe I’m
just still too fat 😞
Best Answer
0 Votes
Here is a link to calculate your Body fat %. This is the most reliable way most doctors would use. Compare the number to the FitBit Aria 2.
You’ll need to use your weight and a measuring tape.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/

Don’t be discouraged! You’ve accomplished an incredible feat! You’ve lost so much weight you’re a rockstar and should be soo proud! I’m proud of you!

Let me know what the difference is.

Have a great weekend and keep up the amazing progress. You’re an inspiration.

Cheers

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer

@Klang5424 Thank you for getting back and like my friend @AntoPod mentioned, don't torture yourself! You're doing an amazing job to reach your goal.

I'd say for this short time-frame, the weight difference is not significant as for the body fat percentage to reflect a big difference right now. However, don't feel discouraged about this because little by little your in the right path to achieve your goal.

Don't hesitate to get back whenever you need assistance and I'll be happy to help you! Smiley Happy

Best Answer

I just got a Fitbit Ionic and wanted to buy the Aria 2 to add weight and body fat and BMI data to my Fitbit profile....but after the reviews posted here and the lack of response from Fitbit (which tells me they don’t care enough to address/fix the issue), I’m no longer interested and cannot recommend the Aria 2

Best Answer
No incorrect. They did address the issue and solved it for me . They were very courteous as well . It works wonderfully!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

@SunsetRunner It's great to see new faces in the Community. Welcome aboard! I appreciate your feedback and comments and it's a shame that you are no longer interested in the Aria 2. This info will be forwarded to our team since this helps us to keep improving.

@Ana65 It's great to see you in the Fitbit Community! I'm glad to hear that the issue you were experiencing with your Aria 2 could be fixed. Thank you for posting the update here. Please don't hesitate to get back if you need any assistance.

See you later!

Best Answer

Same with mine purchased one week ago. Aria2 shows my fat% 12 while old scale showing 22%. Same reading (22%) showed when I checked through the gym scale. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Lucky you. I replaced the first Aria 2 and the second Aria 2 were also completely off by at least 10%.

Do the fat % calculation based on your body measurements and compare to your Aria 2 and see how accurate it is.

Do you work for Fitbit?

Sounds like you’re quite lean. Try the lean mode in the Aria 2.

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer
0 Votes

@FaridSK Thank you for joining us in this thread and our Fitbit Community! In order to correct the body fat accuracy on your Aria 2, please restart it by taking out the batteries for 15 seconds and put them back in. After this, weigh yourself 5 times and monitor the body fat accuracy during the next 48 hours.

@AntoPod I want to follow up on your case. Have you tried the troubleshooting steps that I mentioned above on the second Aria 2? If so, please let me know and I'll be happy to assist you accordingly.

See you both later!Smiley Happy

Best Answer

I have bought the Aria 2 (have a Fitbit Charge). The body fat is showing way lower than I know I am at. I am mid to high 20's and the Aria was showing 16.9%. I tried the removing batteries, weighing 5 times process and the 5 times it dropped from 16.9 to 15.3 to 15.1 to 15.0 to 14.8 to 14.7%.

Like others in this thread I am really disappointed that I have paid over £100 for a set of scales that definitely record accurate weight but the Body Fat is way off. Only bought these over a regular set of scales for the added functionality and I guess they will be going back.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Try dr. meter I have found it must better than aria 2 and less than one third of its price. The probkem with my aria 2 now is that it became an unwanted piece in the house. I wrote to the local distributor whom I bought it from him online to return it against refund he didn't respond .. I really dont know what to do with it .. even as a scale it says it can accommodate up to 8 users but when I used it with my wife alternately it confused between our readings.    
Best Answer
0 Votes

@tonymul Welcome to the Fitbit Community and thank you for getting back @FaridSK! I'm sorry to hear that your Aria 2 are still unable to provide accurate body fat readings. Please check out your Aria 2 settings through your online Dashboards. In order to get there, click on the "gear" icon, located at the upper right corner of the page and select the Aria 2. After this, select the "People" tab, next to "Measurements" and click on your name. You will get an option to change from "Regular" to "Lean" setting or vice versa. Once you have selected the other setting, weigh yourselves 5 times in a row and see if your scales provide more accurate body fat percentage.

For more information about these settings, please check out the first subject of this help article.

Let me know how it goes guys! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m hugely disappointed with the Aria 2. I had a scale at home before I bought the Aria 2, and it was the body fat measurement capability that made me want to get the new scale. To my dismay, the Aria 2 gave a reading of 26% body fat. I’m about 188 pounds and muscular. Just looking at pictures and reading descriptions of what 26% body fat looks like, I was very skeptical of this measurement. I bought calipers and have used a 7-site study repeatedly and come up with 18-19% body fat! The two methods differ by 7-8 percentage points. Calipers are touted as the most accurate method of measuring body fat. So, the Aria 2 is off by 25-30%. Body fat calipers are like $10 and the Aria 2 is about a $100. Bottom line: the Aria 2 is ten times more expensive and only about 70% accurate. Waste of money. I want to give you guys back this gadget. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
This Aria 2 is just a waste of money purchase .. even local agent no answer refund claim .. deep regret coming across Aria 2
Best Answer

@Danny34652 Welcome aboard to the Fitbit forums! I'm happy to help you and find a solution for the inaccurate body fat readings that you've gotten from your Aria 2. If you haven't done so, please re-calibrate your scale by taking out the batteries for 15 seconds and put them back in. After this, weigh yourself 5 consecutive times and see if the issue gets corrected.

@FaridSK Thank you for troubleshooting this issue as advised previously. I'll send your case to our Support team so they can investigate further and provide a solution. You should receive an email from them soon.

I'll be around if you have additional questions guys! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have tried this recalibration more than once and it doesn't improve the data, actually as well as the body fat % being totally inconsistent (varies from 14.7% to 27%), my weight is also inconsistent. I know on a day to day basis and also time of day weight can vary but even on the reweighing 5 times (or more) to recalibrate I get swings of 3-5 lbs within minutes - clearly not happening!!

As previously stated above in my message a very disappointing product given the high price tag that it comes with.

Tony

Best Answer
0 Votes
I agree with you Tony. What makes me very disappointed more is that I bought another piece of equipment, other brand from another source which is almost one third the price of this one and has many features .. weight, fat%, visceral fat, bmi, bmr, body water, bone mass, muscle mass. Really wonderful thing and you feel it reacts with the progress in your body with the time. On top of this, the retailer response is fast and positive, unlike this one, the local shop who sold me it didn't bother even to reply to my message.   
Best Answer
0 Votes

What kind of scale is it that you are describing? I have both an aria and aria 2. Both eventually have refused to connect via wireless. Plus of course bwing a general pain on the butt to deal with. I was cosidering a new fitbit watch. But at rhis point i am going to start looking for a whole new solution. Just tired of "we are always happy to help" and the dance around the May pole. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Look, now you’re wasting my time as well as money. Let me send you your scale back! I did as you asked... no change. My body fat, by calipers, today was 18.36. The Aria 2, after “recalibration” gave readings between 25 and 26.whatever. Your body fat scale is a costly and inaccurate gimmick.

Yes, generally, I’m very dissatisfied with Fitbit. The food tracking on the fit bit app absolutely SUCKS compared to the Lose It app. I used Loose It for several months and it seems like I never ate anything that was in the database. With Fitbit, evey other food I eat is not in the database. It also won’t find food already in the database when you go to look it up. Super frustrating. Fitbit will not be getting any endorsements from me.

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer