Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria 2 weight not actually private

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

This was originally reported for the Aria in 2016 in this post here.  The problem seems to persist in 2018 despite the marketing and product labeling stating otherwise.

I just purchased an Aria 2 and was setting it up with my daughter today (in 2018) and we both immediately found we could see each other's weight.  Living with my wife and 3 daughters, I can tell you this is a non starter.  No one in my house will use this scale if weight data can't be made private.  It even says on the outside of the box "...keeps individual stats private."  How can you call this private and how can this still be an issue 2 years after first being reported.

As stated in the 2016 post, simply use the Fitbit app to look at recent weight-ins...where you can reassign another user's weigh-in to you (regardless of their privacy settings)...and now you can clearly see their weight...this persists even if you reassign weight back to the original user.

Do I have an incorrect understanding of "private"?

Best Answer
38 REPLIES 38

Oh no -- I just bought a Versa, and wanted this scale, but if it's not going to keep my weight perfectly private I will absolutely NOT buy this scale. Thank you for posting this. I'm going to watch the thread for a resolution...until then, I'll keep my old scale.

Best Answer

@Ksuds It's great to see you in our Fitbit Community! I want to follow up and find a solution for you. I just want to know a few details: Is your Aria 2 set up? Do you have the "Hide Data" option enabled in the Aria 2 settings?

@tes100 Thank you for joining us in this thread! Thank you also for your interest in the Aria 2. The hide data option can be enabled in the Dashboard after the Aria 2 is set up. I really appreciate your feedback and I'll be more than happy to help you with any inquiry you have in case you decide to purchase the Aria 2.

See you both later! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer

@JuanJoFitbit - I believe I had it enabled, but if you go into the Aria and reassign a weigh-in to yourself, you can then see the weight of the user you reassigned from.

Unfortunately, I've returned the Aria 2 and purchased another product which synchronizes privately by bluetooth and has no re-assign feature so family members can't see each others weights or guest weights for that matter.

Best Answer

@JuanJoFitbit  I definitely have the "Hide Data" enabled.  I can only find this option on the web device settings, not the app device settings.  If it is on the app device settings, can you show how to find it?

It is very easy to see another person's weight by doing the following:  Dashboard > Account > Aria 2 > Recent Weigh-Ins.  Take any weight that is not yours, assign it to yourself and you will see the weight.  The %BF will be off, but you can still see the weight.

Weights are not private and Fitbit should not advertise as such.  My adult children and children-in-law say this is a big deal. 

Update:  Just to check, I asked if I could borrow and use my husband's phone to view data from his perspective.  Like I said, I have "Hide Data" enabled.  I was able to go through the steps I outlined, re-assign a weight of mine to him, and see the value.  In addition, when I re-assigned the weight back to me, the number was visible.

If I have missed a step to protect my data, please correct me.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Hi -- thank you for responding to me. I don't own the Aria -- I was researching before purchasing. I'm not going to buy any scale that will share my weight with others..... I'm still researching. 

I'm new to the FitBit Versa and enjoying the features I'm using so far! 

Best Answer
I too like the Versa.
Best Answer

@Ksuds @LZeeW @tes100 Thank you guys for reporting this! I'll make sure to forward this to our team since they'll look into this.

In the meantime, please check out this Feature Suggestion regarding this and you can vote for it since the more votes the request gets, the more chances it will have to be reviewed by our engineers.

I appreciate your patience and time with this!

Best Answer

Posted the Aria 1 but nobody got back to me... the problem is not just for the Aria 2 but the first one also. The weight used to be private but it is not anymore.

"A situation happened at my house... I invited my boyfriend to use my aria scale. He stepped on it and went to his dashboard to view his weight. He opened the history and not knowing where it was, he changed the data from my last weigh in to his name and was able to view my weight. The privacy setting let people hide the data but when they do that they have control of all the weigh ins in the history. Below the option of users hiding or showing the data, there used to be a real option to set what you want users to do with your data but not anymore. Let's just say that I gained a little weight in the last year and the situation was embarrassing with my boyfriend even if I know the number is just a number.... it is still a personal data that I do not want to share with everyone that step on my scale. I hope Fitbit will be working on it soon... this is a huge bug with your system. I am very unhappy!" 

When we Fitbit fix this huge problem?

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer

@DKGirl04 I'm sorry for the late response! I appreciate your feedback about the privacy of your Dashboard. Our team is aware of this and expect to have a solution and update released soon.

I appreciate your understanding and patience with this.

Best Answer

What the hell? I am so angry my weight isn’t private! Why hasn’t this been rectified? Very poor!!! The cost of these scales too and FitBit can’t work this out? I am furious!!!! 

Best Answer

Just in case anyone needs the instructions on how to set the weigh-ins to private, I found this thread after a quick Google search to see if I had mine set to private.  Our good friend @wmchapman provided the step-by-step instructions.

Kristen | USA Cruising through the Lifestyle Forums

one cruise ship at a time!
Best Answer

@Pb1234 - by default a weigh-in that is assigned to your profile will appear to other scale users as a entry with your profile name but with no number.  So it is private.  

It is possible for other users to invade your privacy by reassigning the weight to their own profile, but that requires deliberate effort on their part, however.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

@Pb1234 Welcome to our Fitbit Community! I really understand how you feel about this and I appreciate your feedback. I would like to know if you have tried the tips that shared my friend @DramaQueenDiva. That way your information should be private.

@Baltoscott You pointed out important information and thank you for your help my friend!

See you guys around!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JuanJoFitbit  It doesn't matter if the deliberate effort required is minimal, moderate, or extreme.  Any user who is on the list of People Using This Scale can tap on any Recent Weigh-In, reassign it, and view the weight.  "Hidden" data can be re-assigned.

Private means Private.  This data is not. 

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

@JuanJoFitbit ... I totally agree with @LZeeW ! The data is not private and FitBit should work on the problem. It used to be private when I first got my aria scale. It was impossible to reassign the weigh in and view the numbers. Now it is possible... 

I ended up deleting my boyfriend from the scale. He didn't deliberatly try to invade my privacy but not knowing how it works when he opened his account, he was able to switch my last weigh in to his name and he saw the number. I know my boyfriend is not blind and he sees I am working hard on losing the weight but the number should be private. Until FitBit finds a way to go back to the weight being private, I am keeping my aria only for myself.  This issue has been known for MONTHS now and it seems that FitBit just doesn't care... 

Best Answer

@LZeeW @DKGirl04 Thank you so much for your feedback about this. This information was sent to our team and are working to find a solution for this. Once an update is available, we'll make sure to post it in the Community.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just picked up the aria 2 and just as others have stated above, with a little manipulation to the user settings anyones weight can easily be displayed. This particular thread has been on going for about 6 months now, how is there no solution yet?

Best Answer

Looks like someone is as annoyed as me! 

Best Answer

@B_Breezy Welcome to our Fitbit Community and it's great to see you here @Pb1234! I totally understand how frustrating this is for you guys. Our team is aware of this and expect to have a solution soon.

I really appreciate your comments and feedback since this helps us to keep improving.

Best Answer
0 Votes