Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between Aria and Aria 2

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi

Apart from the price point, what is the difference between the Aria and Aria 2? I can't see any enhancements in the specs to warrant considering an upgrade.

Thanks

Best Answer
116 REPLIES 116

Most of us have contacted Fitbit service when the Aria 1 quit working properly and because they already replaced it once for me (and out of warranty) they would not replace it again suggesting I buy the Aria 2 when it became available with no discount except free shipping (which is offered now to anyone.)  I guess what bothers most of us is that there is no break for "loyalty".  I have the same problem with my Surge Tracker - (they offered me a 25% reduction on anything but my Surge (no longer available) and the Ionic.  Who would want to downgrade after having a Surge Tracker!  It is as if they want to get rid of their longtime tracker/scale users!

I too was quite happy with my Aria 1 (2nd one) until it started eating batteries.  Apparently, it can only compensate so long for changes in the strain gages in its feet until it begins to stay "on" all the time (generally just over a year).  My solution, albeit ridiculous, is to pull a battery after every measurement.  I was doing this until the Aria 2 was available but they are still saying 1-2 weeks and offer no discount for past loyal Fitbit folks so I don't see any reason to "upgrade".  Also apparently the Wi-fi info must be in non-volatile memory as I never have to re-enter it - just drop the battery make a measurement and then take it out - ridiculous!  

Best Answer

It was needed. I don't have it yet, but I am ordering one. The old aria does not support newer wifi signals. I bought one last year and after several rounds with tech support I gave it away because I couldn't get it to accept my wifi.

Best Answer

This thread also points out some differences between the Aria and Aria 2.  Since I don't have an Aria, I can't say that I've noticed any differences other than what others have pointed out.

Kristen | USA Cruising through the Lifestyle Forums

one cruise ship at a time!
Best Answer

Well said! Thanks for your intelligent post👌.

Best Answer
0 Votes

What is the difference between aria 1 and 2? 🙂 Thank you . I have 1 and have lots of issues. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same issue here. I really liked my Aria but replaced the router and Aria works on the 802.11b protocol, and my new router is not backward compatible to that protocol. Does anyone know what wifi protocols Aria 2 supports? If the are not recent ones, it is foolish to purchase unless it can be upgraded to a newer protocol or has the most recent one.

Best Answer
0 Votes

But...will it last longer than it's warranty.....I have owned two Arias and both have stopped working within weeks of the warrenty ending...and Fitbit have had no interest in resolving this...

I love it and would like to get another one, but am weary about it.....

Best Answer
Ok - I bit the bullet and bought the new Aria 2. I was very disappointed
they would not give me some kind of a legacy discount because of the
original scale failures.

Yes, I have owned two Aria (1) scales also - both quit working properly just
after warranty, but to Fitbit's credit, they replaced the first one after
the warranty expired.

Time will tell whether they solved the problem (1 year) with the new Aria 2.
The setup was easy, and I am quite happy with its operation and how it
continues to tie into the smartphone app and the Fitbit website.
Best Answer

Other than they have done an upgrade or change to the Aria 1, that is causing huge problems with WiFi connectivity.  

Interesting timing, several people are having the same problem, right after the new one comes out.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Do not need to set up scale when replacing batteries. Unless, I guess, it took you a very long time to put the new batteries in...

I've replaced batteries in my Aria and did not need to do anything else.

Best Answer

Where is the list of "bug fixes" made in Aria 2?    Ha, there is none.   No one will tell you anything.

I contacted customer support about my Aria issues (sensing/step/err) (eating the battery up) (etc), and they told me, sorry, out of warranty.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes
That’s too bad. I just switched to the Nokia Body Cardio. It’s the new hotness. Fitbit doesn’t seem to care as much about their customers as they used to unfortunately. Will probably sell my Blaze and Aria shortly too. It’s too bad, I’ve been a Fitbit customer since the first clip-on.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10
Best Answer
0 Votes

Is the company offering a way to turn in one's Aria and upgrade at a reduced cost?  My existing Aria still works with my wifi and without Bluetooth.  The only item of appeal for me is the greater accuracy. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have had two Arias and both have stopped working within about a month of
warranty expiring. Fitbit had no interest in helping me....

Thanks for this.
I cancelled my order!!
--

Sent from Gmail Mobile

moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have had my aria 2 since December and it works fine. No problem transmitting weight to fit bit app

Best Answer
0 Votes

But I've had my Aria since December 2015 and it's never had trouble transmitting data.

That's why I think they should offer us a trade-in deal, also.  

Mine has never been that bad and I've only had  to change the batteries once.  There was one time when both my daughter and myself were in the room during a weighing and it gave me her weight and made my day.  But that only happened once.  Maybe the new one with the bluetooth will work better with multiple users. 

The other errors and such, I almost never experienced any of those things and I weigh myself up to four times a day.   And yes, I do sometimes do it three times in a row as my own self-calibrating test because even in labs with expensive equipment you don't expect pinpoint accuracy every time.  It was always very rare that it would change more than just a pound.   

BMI never changes for me and the fat/water weight stuff is something I'm amused with because I like statistics and analytics.  I don't believe they are accurate and I don't believe the Aria 2 is going to be much better.  I would try it if they offered a trade-in, but FitBit is not really a customer service company.  

On that note, this nonsense of upgrading the Aria and marketing to us by essentially telling us that what we've been using is crap; inaccurate and we should now by the upgrade because it's better with no proof, studies or details.  No assurances that they stand behind their products or care about our needs. 

They clearly are not  big on marketing themselves as having quality products or concern for customer service.  They sold us this now "defective broken piece of technology" without offering any sort of trade-in or discount to existing customers.  Aria owners should have received an email announcing a special opportunity to get an Aria 2 and improve our experience, acknowledging that we are owners of an Aria.   Instead, they drop the price of Aria (why are they still selling it?)  and I find myself defending my Aria and accepting the limitations.

The Fitbit brand is really starting to lose me.  In the last 8 months... I stopped loving it and am open to investing in something that is reliable, doesn't nickel and dime you for every add-in, and has good customer service. 

Asides from this Aria upgrade annoyance, I've  went through several versions of Charge HR and Charge HR2 (always at Best Buy with warrentee so replacement can be done anywhere and as hassle free as possible) 

I had issues with them not renewing my premium membership which I've had since my first fitbit.  Initially they said I could keep it if I renewed by December 31st, but it wouldn't renew and I had to reach out to their "customer service".  They are pushing their FitBit Coach which I hadn't really cared for and STILL required buying add-ins to use it after the annual membership.   Eleven emails dealing with nine different customer service people (that obviously scored low on reading comprehension) only to end up with them telling me they couldn't help me...

I'm looking for another system.  Something not FitBit.  If anyone has recommendataions, please send them my way.  I'm sure my Charge HR2 is due to crap out any day now and at that point I'm ready to find another system.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

Both of mine stopped altogether and I got same response. I said this wasn’t great CS but they didn’t seem to care. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Personaly I think that the performamce of the original Aria is so poor that Fitdit should recall all the original scales and replace them with the latest version free of charge...

Best Answer

Here here. I am 2 down. Getting a Nokia. 

Best Answer

Thank you!  I researched (https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-smart-scales,review-3469.html) and the Nokia Body + does more, costs less and can sync up with my current FitBit account with HR Charge 2. But I do believe when this Charge craps out, I'm going another direction away from Fitbit.  Still really disgusted with them over not renewing my premium account subscription.  

Best Answer