Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Aria 2 support 5 GHz Wifi?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Does Aria 2 support 5Ghz WiFi?

Thanks.

Best Answer
38 REPLIES 38

@peteer01 wrote:

@ShadowFoxus wrote:

Dear 5Ghz Complainers,

A little bit of research goes a long way when figuring out why 5Ghz is not ideal. If your running a straight 5Ghz network then you have to ask yourself about the devices that are not past the N standard in your home. 

I don’t quite follow what you’re saying, but I think it has to do with the fact that b/g are not 5 GHz?

802.11a is basically as old as 802.11b, and is 5 GHz only. That said, of the few dozen wireless devices in my house, virtually every single one is 802.11n dual band or 802.11ac, which is 5 GHz only for ac speeds.

I provided ample data in my posts to support the argument that a 5 GHz capable, even a 5 GHz only, Aria 2 scale would be preferable for many people. I don’t expect many people to have five enterprise grade APs in their house like I do, but I do expect everything but the cheapest 2017 technology devices to support 5 GHz if wireless is their primary or only form of communication.

I'm sorry to say you are simply repeating yourself to people who seem to be unable to read threads before they post, and are unable to put up a original coherent arguement.

Best Answer

I’ve had to give up on Fitbit all together.  My Aria no longer works with my wireless and my tracker’s Bluetooth died so it’s no longer discoverable. 

Best Answer

I know, I have 5G and returned my Aria 2 because it would not connect properly. I just got the Ionic and when it failed connection I know something was fishy in Denmark! It is because I have 5G.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dag1999 It's great to see you in our Fitbit Community! I'm sorry to hear that your Aria scale stopped syncing with your network. I'll be happy to help you with this issue. Please let me know if you have made changes to your network (router settings, router or WiFi password). Also, let me know if you see any error message when your Aria tries to sync with your network. Finally, I'd like to know if you have the Aria 1 or Aria 2. Please check out this post in order to find out which scale you have.

Regarding your tracker's Bluetooth, please select the type of tracker you have in this page and let the Community the details of the issue so your post can be on the correct board and you can have a response to it easier. This helps us to keep the Community organized.

@LorHawkins I'm sorry to hear that you decided to return your Aria scale due to the connection issues. I really understand your frustrations and appreciate your feedback about it. This info will be forwarded to our team since it helps us to keep improving.

Let me know if you have doubts! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer

From what I am reading online (see below), it sounds like Garmin is using the same technology?

I think like most users, I would rather have a simple "plug and play" solution than to have to reconfigure routers or become a wireless engineer.......  so why are we even having this discussion?   As you point out, this is 2018, and this stuff should just work out of the box without a lot of intervention on the part of the user, regardless of their router or wireless setup.  It is not the fault of the user as to what router their ISP provides them with.  And if this is such wingy tech than you have to be a WiFi expert, then they should put that right on the box - "Rated 'E' for Engineers and tinkerers only!"

Same old, same old, I'm afraid!   Put a beta test product out there for sale, and when it doesn't work, blame the user.   Most of the "responses" I've seen on this board seem to along those lines.  Nothing wrong with our product!  User error!   Lots of user error, it seems.

From the Garmin website:

Maximum load

181.4 kg (400 lb.)

Battery type

4 AA alkaline batteries

NOTICE! You must use 1.5 V batteries in this device.

Battery life

Up to 9 mo.

Operating temperature range

From 10° to 40°C (from 50° to 104°F)

Storage temperature range

From -20° to 50°C (from -4° to 122°F)

Radio frequency/protocol

2.4 GHz 802.11 b/g/n Wi‑Fi® technology

2.4 GHz ANT® wireless technology

2.4 GHz Bluetooth® Smart wireless technology

Best Answer
0 Votes

@RobertBell I really appreciate your feedback about the protocols that the Aria needs to connect with WiFi networks. I know that this is frustrating and this info will be sent to our team. This info helps us to keep improving.

See you around!

Best Answer

Thinking of getting these scales ,my router is 5.0ghz 802.11 AC

So will it not connect to the aria ?

Fitbit Ionic and OnePlus 6T
Best Answer
0 Votes

@pointy101 wrote:

Thinking of getting these scales ,my router is 5.0ghz 802.11 AC

So will it not connect to the aria ?

Only if you turn on 2.4Ghz, most routers are backwards compatible. Not ideal I know.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@pointy101 Thanks for joining us in this thread! Thank you for your interest in the Aria 2. Regarding your question, as my friend @SunsetRunner mentioned, the Aria two is compatible with bandwidth 2.4GHz and Wireless 802.11b/g/n networks.

You can contact your Internet service provider in case you need help in changing the bandwidth to 2.4GHz.

I'll be around if more questions arise! Smiley Happy

Best Answer

Greetings,

There's another thread regarding Aria (1 only?) not working on Comcast - until you go in and switch from 2.4Gz - g/n to b/g/n.  

Does Aria 2 require b as does Aria 1?

Does turning on b drastically slow the network?

Thanks,

Mark

Best Answer
0 Votes

@mrbustin Thank you for joining us in this thread! Regarding your inquiry, we haven't received reports about the Aria 2 having issues with Comcast routers. You can find the router settings that the Aria 2 needs to connect in this help article.

Let me know if you have additional questions! Smiley Happy

Best Answer

Hi Juan

What I'm trying to find out is if the ARIA 2 can connect without turning on 802.11b as the  Aria 1 requires ...  there's a thread stating that the Aria (doesn't say 1 or 2) cant connect to Comcast - until you turn on b ... thanks, mark

Best Answer
0 Votes

@mrbustin Thank you for getting back! The Aria 2 requires the protocols 802.11b or b/g/n in order to connect. We haven't received reports that it doesn't connect with protocols that doesn't include "b".

Keep me posted!

Best Answer

Thanks Juan

Best Answer

@mrbustin You are very welcome!

Don't hesitate to get back if you have any doubts or questions! Smiley Happy

Best Answer

This isn't true.  There are reports and complaints all over your community about issues using Aria (including Aria 2) on Comcast (aka Xfinity) and they go back for years.

The core issue is that Xfinity defaults to g/n -- and now sets their devices to be automatically managed to g/n so users can't even make this change themselves through the admin console.  In order to have my device set to 2.4 b/g/n required over an hour online with customer support, eventually an escalation to the Advanced Wireless team and then an exception process for me to accept a decrease in their recommended security levels.

I'm not religious about the 2.4 vs 5 debate -- but when will Fitbit support a scale that doesn't specifically require 2.4B?

Thanks

Best Answer

@PhillyPhitBit thank you for joining us in this thread! I'm sorry about the process you had to follow with your Internet service provider. I really understand how you feel and appreciate your feedback and comments since this helps us to keep improving.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Activating 2.4GhZ on advanced routers/meshes is an option.
But disabling 5GhZ is not: it is abnormal that the Aria would be bothered by the 5GhZ existence.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@phv wrote:

Activating 2.4GhZ on advanced routers/meshes is an option.
But disabling 5GhZ is not: it is abnormal that the Aria would be bothered by the 5GhZ existence.

The Aria 2 isn't "bothered by the 5GhZ existence". I have both activated on the wireless router. Some of my devices use the 5GHz band, while others, such as the Aria 2, use the 2.4GHz band. They don't conflict with each other.

Best Answer
0 Votes