Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria 2 shows different weight and body fat readings

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have been using the Aria 2 for a few days now and I have received so many different readings on both body fat and weight within a space of a couple minutes (i weigh same time every morning).  My profile settings are all correct and i have recalibrated it just in case and still i get a varied reading.  Is this a hardware fault?

Appreciate your help and thanks!

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
41 REPLIES 41

Hi everyone! I would like to follow up on this issue and would like to know if you find your Aria 2 more accurate or if the difference is still noticeable.

Looking forward to your responses! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes

My fat percentage on Aria 2 scale was way out.  I'd been losing weight regularly while working out (adding muscle) and the fat percentage was  too high and didn't change as I lost weight.  My BMI is also in the normal range yet fat percentage showing 29.6%.    Today I tried something I'd seen on line.  I logged into my web dashboard, changed my gender to female, logged out, logged in again, changed my gender back to male.  Then I went into my Aria 2 device settings (under devices--left side), selected "people," then selected my name, then selected body type "lean" (it had been "regular").   Then I logged out, went to the scale and took the batteries out for about 20 seconds.  Then replaced the batteries and stood on the scale.  Same result as before.  But then I immediately took a second reading and suddenly my fat percentage dropped to 17% (which is where I think it likely actually is).  Immediately took 4 more readings--all the same.   So I think it has been reset somehow.  I don't know which of these actions (perhaps just the change to "lean" bodytype?) did the trick but hopefully it will help you too.

Best Answer

mine still has about 100g difference on what the fitbit app shows versus what the scale shows.  If I weigh in at 79.1kg it will show 79kg on the Fitbit dashboard.  But it will show 79.1kg on myfitnesspal or in the Aria weigh ins log.  I think the Fitbit app must round down or something.  It's annoying, 100g isn't much but the fact that it logs this weight but displays differently within Fitbit dashboard vs Aria logs is pretty poor form.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Way2Go Welcome to the Fitbit forums! I'm so glad to hear that your Aria 2 tracks your body fat percentage more accurate. Thank you for posting the update here and the time taken to troubleshoot this issue properly. Don't hesitate to get back if you need more assistance.

@casew I'd like you to try logging out of the app, reset your phone, open the app again and log in. After this, weigh yourself 5 times in a row in order to re-calibrate your scale and see if the issue gets fixed.

Keep me posted! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Aria 2 scales shows different weights at different times during the night.... quiet different. So Tuesday night at midnight I was 74.2 and 6 hours later I weight 73.6? 

What is happening?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@wizard1066 Welcome to our Fitbit forums! I'm sorry to hear that your Aria 2 is displaying different readings.

I'd like you to take a look at this help article, which explains what can affect the accuracy of your Aria scale and some tips to fix the issue. If the issue persists, please restart your scale by taking out the batteries for 15 seconds and put them back in. finally, weigh yourself 5 times in a row and see if the issue gets fixed.

Let me know how it goes! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't see any problem.  It looks like you are getting a 1-2% variation which is **ahem** good for a non-laboratory instrument!

Best Answer

Man, reading all these comments is disappointing. I really wanted to buy this scale for its awsome weight logging function in the app but it seems it wont even weigh accurate. 

Extreamly disappointed in Fitbit. I think thet can make a better product than this. 100% customer dissatisfaction is not a very good sign. I expected more from this company. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

It is annoying considering the cost.  I don't think it is actually the fault of the scales.  The issue is with the app.  If the scales screen says 74.6 the weight on the app for that will sometimes say 74.5 but then it pushes the same data over to myfitnesspal and says 74.6.  Something is wrong with the way their app receives and displays the data.  

The scales themselves will give different readings but for the same reason any digital scale will, especially if the floor isn't flat, which it isn't in a lot of bathrooms if they have a drain in the middle of the floor like ours does.  The discrepancy is annoying but I've come to accept it.

6 hours is a long time, enough time to digest food or go to the toilet a bunch of times. That could impact your weight.  For a test you need to weigh yourself multiple times one after another without moving the scales.  It might be slightly up or down each time, then you take average.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

I get as much as 1kg difference in weight, it is really annoying, I am tired and not sure if I am losing or gaining weight.

I got my Aria 2 device about 2 weeks ago, and I have not had any repeated value, like I replied earlier, I get as much as 1kg difference, with values like this I can't tell if I am gaining or losing.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

@TedL Thank you for sharing your feedback!

@XSean87 Welcome to our forums! I appreciate your feedback also. However, I would like to follow up and would like to know more details about the issue that your Aria 2 is experiencing.

@casew Since the accuracy is being affected, let me go ahead and forward your case to our Support team so they can follow up and provide a solution. You will receive an email from them soon.

@GeorgeJames I'm sorry to hear that your Aria 2 is also experiencing accuracy issues. If you haven't done so, I'd like you to restart and re-calibrate your scale by taking out the batteries for 15 seconds and put them back in. Once you've done this, weigh yourself 5 times in a row and see if your Aria provides more accurate readings.

In addition, please take a look at this help article, which provides more info about the Aria 2 accuracy and some tips in order to get more accurate readings from your scale.

I'll be around if more assistance is needed.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Two brief comments.  I've been doing multiple weighings at the same time for each of the past five nights.  I'll make a detailed comment later once I've analyzed the data.  I have two quick observations.  First, the scale is very, very consistent (it typically varies .1 to .2 lb within a set of 5-10 measurements.)  Second, the log exhibits strange behavior. With only a few exceptions, it records a weight that is precisely .1 of a lb less than the final weight displayed on the scale.  WHY?  About every other day it spontaneously adds a manual weight log at the end of all the actual weighings.  Sometimes the value is the same as one of the actual weighings, but at least once it was quite different (170.3 when all the weighings were 169.1-169.3, if I remember right). WHY?  To make the log show only a single weight each day, I delete (using the app) all weighings except one that is closest to the average.  The next day, or even later, one or more of the weighings I'd deleted have been restored. Sometimes a new manual log entry also appears.  It may take several attempts for the ones I want deleted to stay deleted.  WHY? (I'm deleting only from the app log, not the "recent weighings" log for the scale itself.)

Best Answer
0 Votes
My weight varies through the day as a result of my meals, water intake and
elimination (bathroom) experiences. It's quite easy to add or remove a few
pounds over a matter of six hours.

Virus-free.
www.avg.com

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>
Best Answer
0 Votes

@TedL I'm sorry for the late response. However, I find very odd that some readings that you've deleted get restored later. Have you tried deleting those readings from the web-based Dashboard? Please check out if the issue also happens on the web Dashboard.

In the meantime, please make sure that your phone has the most recent app version installed.

@Way2Go Thank you for joining us in this thread! I'd like you to take a look at this help article, which provides some tips in order to get more accurate readings from your scale. It also explains what may affect the weigh ins during the day.

I'll be around if you guys have more questions! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

I will try that (deleting log entries from the web interface) the next couple of times I do some multiple weigh-ins.  But you haven't answered what I consider my main question: why are 87% of the log entries 0.1 lbs less than the final weight displayed on the scale itself? (the rest are the same as the scale.)  And you haven't explained why the "system" adds a manual entry to a set of weigh-ins maybe a third of the time?  (I haven't kept track of that behavior as accurately as some of the other behavior.)  I am assuming my version of the app is up-to-date since I believe it is self-updating (through the iPhone app store) and I have automatic updates enabled.  … I just checked, the app store said it had been updated today!  Of course I don't know yet whether that had any effect on the behavior in question.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@TedL Thank you for getting back! Since you mentioned that your Fitbit app is up to date and the issues persist, I'll forward your case to our Support team and they'll be happy to further investigate the issues and provide a solution.

You will receive an email from them soon.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks.  I hope the fact that the subject line for this thread is not related to my concerns is not a problem.  As I reported, I find that repeated readings get extraordinarily consistent weight readings (a standard deviation of about .05%).  My major concern, as I've said a couple of times, is that the weight logged is about 90% of the time exactly 0.1 lb less than the weight displayed on the scale (the rest of the it's the same.)  The other concerns are that something sometimes adds a spurious manual reading to the log or restores readings that I've deleted.

Best Answer

@TedL I'm sorry for the late response. However, I was able to get in touch with our Support team and was told that they contacted you recently via email. Did you receive their email?

Keep me posted! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes, they did contact me quite quickly.  The ball's now in my court -- I
need to run some test weighings for them and just haven't had time.

--
Ted
Best Answer
0 Votes

@TedL Thank you for posting the update. Take your time to try the instructions provided by our Customer Service department. In case the issue persists, please reply to their email so they can proceed accordingly.

I'll also be around in case you have any doubts! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes