Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria 2 inaccurate body fat readings

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I recently completed an in-depth bio metrics analysis using a BodPod, the most accurate commercial analysis on the market, and learned I had 17% body fat. The Aria 2 tells me I have 29.5% body fat. I am a fitness instructor and muscular body type and believe the first number is more accurate. Is anyone else having this same issue? Or does my Aria 2 need to be returned?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
251 REPLIES 251

I just got my Aria2 and I’m having the same issues. I noticed if I get on a few times I get drastically different results. This morning reading #1 was 17% body fat. Reading #2 (30 seconds later) was 23%. I just want reliable, reproducible data to track trends. Also, mine takes FOREVER to upload to WiFi before I can retry which makes the whole process very time consuming... and all I want is my morning coffee!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, it’s all over the place for me too. And I don’t understand how I can go from 33% to 20% when I change it from female to male. I’ve lost 8.5 lbs and an inch in my abdomen, I’m a size 4, 5’7” and it’s telling me I’m 33%. My son who is 6’1”, 140 lbs who is a lean green bean is getting a reading of 23%. The guy has a 28” waist. Just doesn’t seem accurate. How can one lose so much weight and it’s obviously fat loss due to my measurements but my body fat went up. I give up. Just wish I hadn’t spent so much money on it. I’ve found other scales that give you more info like bone density, water content, body fat for a fraction of the price.

Maybe it’s more accurate when you have low body fat percentage. Do you have it on athlete mode?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
I turned off the body fat on my scale cause it's so frustrating seeing a
number that is wrong, but I want to believe it. Oh, you're 6% fatter than a
month ago? Now you're 9%, and it's only been 3 minutes.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Yep,

It figures no pun intended. It looks like a bunch of MBA’s just threw this flawed add on just so can charge more money.

My former CSO told me about a Japanese scale is very accurate. I think it was $250 or something like that.

Btw, it would be great if Fitbit actually addressed this subject. In other words put their money where their mouth is.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
In general, it seems Fit it's focus is putting out new half-finished
models, then forgetting about patching or updating them. The charge3 still
has a ton of bugs, and never got apps released for it, even though it has
an app section. The Aria's are forgotten. But just watch a shiny new buggy
watch come out with no new features in a few months
Best Answer

No I don’t.

Lol, I heard that

Sent from my iPhone

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes
Think i must b the only one whos not having problems mine always is roughly
the same 10% body fat b4 i go bed coz I'm more hydrated and 11% when i wake
the boditrax machine at my local gym gives me the same weight but with a 1%
higher fat reading
Best Answer
0 Votes

I haven't read the whole thread, but I think there are 3 things that may help (I don't own one) 

#1 Scrub/ exfoliate your feet: The scale works by sending a micro current through your body, I'm *guessing* gruff/ crusty feet would increase the resistance. 

#2 Make sure you're hydrated. If you haven't drank any water for the day my guess is this would also increase your body's resistance to a current. 

#3 Try measuring fresh out of the shower. Same reasons as above. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi

Thanks for these top tips , I’ll bare them in mind . 👍

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you for the tips but A) the bottom of my feet are soft as a babies bottom. No dryness or crust, LOL. B) I get the same reading fresh out of the shower. C) I’m pretty well hydrated as I have a medical condition that requires me to hydrate or I get tachycardia.
Makes no sense that I’ve leaned down 10 lbs. lost an inch in my waist but the body fat percentage stays unchanged.
I’m just using it as a scale at this point. Has my BMI at 20.4 but I’m apparently “obese” by body fat percentage standards. Just not accurate.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I found that the scale is fairly consistent in reporting it's percentages on BMI when I wipe it down before each weighing along with standing perfectly still.  Is it accurate?  That is another question; however, things seem right to me as the first two weeks while I was working to get back into shape my BMI was 25.5% and now it shows 17.7% on 12/29/2019.  The lowest I have been measured at in the past when I was in top shape or moderately good health listed at BMI of 8.9% recorded by my PCP, recently 9/10/2019 my BMI recorded by PCP was 26.4%.  My recommendation is to utilize both PCP and scale, frequency of scale use paired with app helps to keep it calibrated and updated.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for your post! I've been losing weight but my BMI has been going up, up, up. I've lost 18.99 lbs since December 1st (wow - didn't realize it was that much so fast) but the BMI reported by Aria has gone from my starting lean to fat ratio of 51.583% to 57.186% and that is not the right direction at all. I'm so glad to have found your post and to know that I'm not the only one that is getting wonky readings. I might turn body fat off on my scale, too. Thanks for the idea. Happy New Year!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sounds way off. I would return it.

Emily, I use RenPHO Scale... It appears more accurate and it updates to my Fitbit dashboard as well. My kids gave me a fitbit scale for Christmas but I think it should be returned. 

Steven

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi. I’ve got exactly the same problem. I was excited to get an Aria 2 for Christmas after a friend raves about the Aria 1 scale he had. Since receiving it last week my weight readings seem correct, around 84kgs but my body fat % has been all over the place from 23% on Christmas Day to 30% today. There’s no way my readings are that high considering that when I did a EVOLT Active reading (professional reading) a few months ago I was 16.1% body fat. I’m quite lean so no way am I around 30%! 
I have tried to re-calibrate the scales a few times but with no success. If the scales keep performing this badly I’ll be bringing it back and not replacing as there’s no way I’m having my partner pay $200 for a set of scales that only accurately reads weight when my $30 scales does the same.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Wow, that is really a huge difference. The RENPHO scale is provides more accurate readings. Fitbit will have to get their act together.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I wish I could return it. I kept trying to get it calibrate and kept hoping it would get better but then missed the return window. So now I’m just using it as a scale. Oh well. That’s a costly scale. Maybe I’ll check out the one you’re using. What was the body fat percentage difference?

Yes it’s very demoralizing to work so hard on your fitness journey and get inaccurate results.
Since Summer I lost 8.5 lbs. And inch off my waist, and inch off my thighs. My 2 top abdominal muscles and obliques show yet I’m 32% body fat. 20.4 BMI. Don’t think so. Trust your clothes.
When I used it today I warmed my feet a little before using it and the body fat went down 2%. WTH

The BMI is accurate. What isn’t accurate for me is the body fat percentage. I’m 5’7” 129 lbs BMI of 20.2 and it’s telling me my body fat is 32.7%. Last time I had it checked 2 years ago it was at the gym by my trainer and it came in at 25% and I’ve lost weight since then.

Best Answer
My body fat % from my Evolt measurements in May this year was 16.1%. My body weight is similar now and I’m holding similar body fat and the Fitbit is saying almost 30% body fat.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Yikes Brian! That is a huge discrepancy. Thanks for the info.

Best regards,

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes
No problems at all.

Yeah it’s a big difference in % which is bitterly disappointing. Now I’ve got a glorified $200 set of scales which I plan on returning!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Has anyone learned if there is a way to correct this BMI issue with the Aria 2?  Mine shows my BMI at 42.2% which is 12.9% higher than my last physical.  Just curious as it's a little aggravating as I am working at losing weight and the BMI is going up! Feedback anyone?

Best Answer