Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria 2 inaccurate body fat readings

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I recently completed an in-depth bio metrics analysis using a BodPod, the most accurate commercial analysis on the market, and learned I had 17% body fat. The Aria 2 tells me I have 29.5% body fat. I am a fitness instructor and muscular body type and believe the first number is more accurate. Is anyone else having this same issue? Or does my Aria 2 need to be returned?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
251 REPLIES 251

Not sure, I use a RENPHO Scale. $26.99 on Amazon.

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes

My body fat from In Body has consistently been 15.9%-16.2% and then my Aria 2 (new) put it at 24% yesterday.  Which I know isn't close to true.  I've tried taking out the batteries, changing it to LEAN mode, storing it on its sides, but nothing yet to get the BF% back to the range *I Know* it should be.   WTF, Fitbit?

Best Answer
0 Votes
It’s driven me crazy. I eventually had e Pugh and took it back. Never again with Fitbit, I’m sick and tired of returning their products. I had to return my Fitbit blaze tracker 3 seperate times due to issues!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I was having a similar problem.   Body fat indicating about 10% higher that reality.  After reading a bunch of heated posts about gender selections and folks criticizing the scale as defective, i came across a post about simply just resetting the scale.  Its a bit of a pain as you have to reconnect to your wifi network but after simply resetting the scale, re-connecting the scale with the same wifi network and oh, fresh batteries, it worked.  my body fat is now indicting where it should, a full 10% lower than it was prior to the reset.  The reset is completed by taking out the batteries for 10 seconds, visiting https://www.fitbit.com/scale/setup on your computer.  follow the on screen instructions and voilà.  Warning, if you are not familiar with how to setup wifi and are not comfortable resetting your scale ask someone tecky to help you as you will lose connection to your scale if you reset it and cant figure how to re-connect back to your network.  Good Luck!

Best Answer
0 Votes

yep, doesn't work for me. still showing bodyfat at least 10% higher than
last accurate reading 2 weeks ago using InBody.

--

Best Answer
I must b the lucky one mine says 14% bf and the ones in pure gym says 17%
bf and always been the same 3% between the 2 i do my readings same time
every morning
Best Answer
Sorry to hear that. That’s why I gave up and returned my scales, too frustrating!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Unfortunately, Fitbit needs to fix this scale

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine is the other way around ... It says I have 14.2% body fat that I  replaced the battery when I used to have 29,2

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, me too, I do weights training and I got measured at my gym they said my body fat was 19.9% the aria 2 scale says I’m 34%, Could it be it’s mistaking muscle for fat% ?

Same problem for me, I’m in Australia so expensive postage to return from here. Should have bought a $20 scale from Kmart, would have done the same job.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes
It sounds like they are mixing fat for something. Totally inaccurate

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

After spending some time trying to understand this, I think the Aria 2 is using a calculation largely based on BMI (height/weight) that it supplements from whatever basic measurement (if any) it gets from its "sensors" ref impedence.  The InBody scanner uses impedence, but in addition to foot plates you hold sensors in your hands, and for that reason I believe it gives more accurate readings.  I could only get the Aria 2 to approximate my InBody readings by tweaking my height (higher) than what it really is.   For example, I'm really 173cm and only by setting my height (in Settings on my profile) to 176cm did the Aria start to get in the range of my InBody body fat %s.   I also had to set it to "lean."  I haven't done an InBody since January (thanks to covid), but will check to see how Aria 2 is doing next time I do one.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Interesting, let me know if that helps. It’s just ridiculous to have to tweak so many things to get an accurate reading on a $140 scale. I should’ve just gotten the $40 scale from Bed Bath and Beyond.

Best regards,

Best Answer

Wow, you shouldn't have to manipulate your height to get correct measures.
I think they should do a recall on these scales.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I bought the Aria 2 last week and am pretty disappointed. It seems to give me a correct weight, but the body fat percentage is way off. I have tried to recalibrate many times. I’m a fit woman who wears a size 4. I cycle almost every day, get 70-100k steps in a week and do daily yoga and the scale is telling me I’m obese. Not exactly what I thought I was spending so much money on. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
That’s unfortunate to hear. I experienced the same problem as weight seemed ok but body fat % was way off! I ended up returning mine to the store as even after recalibration it was still way off.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi! I think I might have to do this. Thanks for the feedback.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
No problems.

Good luck with it 😊

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Wow, sounds way off. I think BMI measurement is bogus because of different body shapes and height. The Aria scale overstates. Keep up the great work, you sound like a fitness guru!

I hear you. I’m going to give mine back to my kids that gave it to me as a present.

Sent from my iPhone

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same thing with me. I’m very active. 13,000 steps a day. Lost fat from my waist and thighs and my body fat percentage went up. I’m 5’7”, 130 lbs. Size 4 and scale says body fat is 31%. The machine at my gym used to read 24-26% depending on my hydration. Seems way off to me.

Best regards,

Best Answer
0 Votes