Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria 2 inaccurate body fat readings

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I recently completed an in-depth bio metrics analysis using a BodPod, the most accurate commercial analysis on the market, and learned I had 17% body fat. The Aria 2 tells me I have 29.5% body fat. I am a fitness instructor and muscular body type and believe the first number is more accurate. Is anyone else having this same issue? Or does my Aria 2 need to be returned?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
251 REPLIES 251

Whether or not you return your Aria 2 or not is your decision, @Ckcarroll, and not ours. If 2% is unacceptable, you might consider it.  Personally, I am more interested in my trends than I am in weighing myself multiple times in a row to see what variances there are a few minutes apart.

Best Answer

@KateFitbitwrote:

As mentioned in this thread, if your body fat seems to be too high switching the scale to lean mode is recommended, even if you do not consider yourself a high-performance athlete, it seems to be more accurate for some. If your body fat percentage seems too low, check if it is in lean mode, you should then likely switch to regular. 

Other tips: 

• If you pick up and move your scale between measurements, or store it sideways against a wall when not in use, the scale will calibrate the next time it's used. You may need to weigh yourself 2 or more consecutive times before the scale calibrates and shows consistent measurements.
  • Place your scale on a hard surface during use. Carpet, linoleum, or any other flooring with resilience may affect the accuracy of the scale's readings.
  • Your weight and body fat percentage naturally vary over the course of a day and can change based on what you eat and drink as well as your body stance, age, height, level of exercise, and perspiration. For consistency, weigh yourself first thing in the morning before eating, drinking, or exercising. If you’re wearing clothes, dress lightly and remove your shoes and socks.
  • Your body fat percentage may be affected if you weigh yourself while holding a heavy object.\
  • For the most accurate BMI and body fat percentage result, your height, age, and gender must be correct in your Fitbit profile.

Please note, Aria and Aria 2 estimate your body fat percentage using body impedance. Because several different methods can determine body fat percentage and none are 100% accurate, the scale's body fat reading may not perfectly match other scales or manual methods such as calipers.

It's important to remember it's an estimate using a calculation. Just like in the medical field when they estimate your renal function and other factors. They use an equation and that output is an estimate.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Oooh man please don’t say big boned some people actually think they are sorry one of my pet peeves

Best Answer
0 Votes
While the term is widely misused. It’s actually a real thing and it refers to frame size.

If you are a male above 5’5” in height with a wrist circumference of 7.5” or greater you are considered large framed or big boned.

For men, a wrist size of 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 inches indicates a small frame, while a measurement over 7 1/2 inches is typically of a larger bone structure.

Im 6’2” with a wrist circumference of just over 7.5”
Best Answer
0 Votes

I was unsure about what he thought was so odd about the term. It may not be commonly used in medical circles, but there is no doubt that some people having larger frames for their height than others. They are generally broader in the shoulders and hips than other folks of the same height. I would also believe that their overall bone structure is larger.  Not sure how that is reflected in weight, but I would certainly not think that it has an effect on body fat. All l can tell you is that if you put me next to someone my height, I will be physically bigger than most people and it isn't because I am fat.  All you have to do is go to a road race to figure this one out. 

Best Answer

None of these things work. Been there done that on two Aria 2’s

Best Answer
0 Votes

I returned mine and got another scale that is much more accurate, and gives other readings such as bone, muscle water etc. Was about half the price. Much happier with the newer one - even if the more accurate reading means a higher fat % percentage haha. Time to hit the gym

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone! I really appreciate your feedback and comments about the body fat accuracy. I would like you to take a look at KateFitbit's post and try her suggestions and tips for the body fat readings you are getting from your Aria scale. In case the issue persists, don't hesitate to let me know and I'll be happy to assist.

@AntoPod I'll forward your case to our Support team so they can investigate further and provide a solution for you. You should receive and email from them soon.

@mrWicke I'm sorry to hear that you decided to stop using your Aria scale. I really appreciate your feedback and comments. This info will be forwarded to our team since this helps to keep improving.

See you all later guys! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer

On my first try it read 22% body fat. Just going off of photos I've seen online of what that should look like I was a bit skeptical.

Here's an IG snap of what my body looks like now: https://www.instagram.com/p/BdrVNVUFOMs/

I changed my user setting to "Lean" and removed my clothing (skinny jeans and all) then tried again. The second time around it read 13%--which is within the range I expected. I recommend doing the same and seeing if there's any difference for you.

Best Answer
0 Votes
You’re in great shape! From just the picture I’d guess you to be between 10-13%? Maybe less.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi good Morning...

I having problem with my body fat inaccurate 

I try the normal mode and always my body fat its keeping going to 23% and that too much that I spect.

I try the lean mode and it is putting my body fat in 16% and that is way less than spected.

I try the omron in my gym and that show me my body fat is 19.5% and that is close to my spectations

I try Body Fat Calculator in this link, Im after put everything it is give a body fat of 20.5 and that is close that I think I have

How can I do with this since I never Really know how is my body fat %

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks, man. Unfortunately, I think I may have to take my scale back today. I moved it once and now I can't get it to read anything less than 14.7 body fat percentage. I thought 13 might be a tad over; but 14.7 is just unacceptable. As neat as a product as it is, I purchased it for this particular measurement.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@CiscoRey @Caraybra I'm sorry to hear that your body fat percentage readings are inaccurate. I would like you to try some troubleshooting steps in order to re-calibrate your scales. Please take out the batteries for 15 seconds and put them back in. After this, make sure to place your scales on a hard surface and weigh yourselves 5 times in a row.

I'd also like to share this help article, which explains how to get the most accurate reading from your scales.

Hope this helps and let me know the outcome guys! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’ve had two scales prior to Aria2 both that measured my Body Fat percentage around 32 to 33%. So I was shocked to see the numbers on my Aria 2 reading 39.8%.  Why is the Aria2 so far off from the other two??

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have been looking to buy the Aria 2 for a couple of months to replace an old set of BF measureing  scales, that I have had for about a decade.  

However if they are are wildly inaccurate, then what is the point of taking any measurement? It’s a shame as I like the Fitbit software and have two fitbits in use presently. With all my family pretty much using a Fitbit of some description too. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@rellegett Thanks for joining us in this thread! I'm sorry to hear that your Aria 2 is showing different body fat readings. In order to correct this issue, restart your scale by taking out the batteries for 15 seconds and put them back in. Once this has been done, re-calibrate your scale by weighing yourself 5 times in a row and see if your body fat accuracy gets corrected.

@Markda2000 I noticed that you joined our Fitbit Community recently! Thank you so much for your interest in the Aria 2. The Aria 2 has been redesigned to provide more accurate weight, body fat and BMI readings than the Aria 1. Therefore, different readings might be noticeable from the Aria 1. Please check out this page for more information about the Aria 2.

I'll be around if more questions arise my friends! Smiley Happy

Best Answer

I have lost over 50 pounds since December (128 total) and the percent my body fat has gone down is exactly 0. I exercise 5 days per week. There is no way I haven’t lost any body fat. Did anyone ever find out if there is a fix to the body fat percentage issue?  Such an expensive scale to not work correctly 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Klang5424, when you look at your Weight Log in the Fitbit.com Dashboard, and scroll over to the Lean vs Fat chart, does what it shows for  pounds lean and pounds fat look reasonable as compared to total weight?  The Body Fat % is based on those numbers. 

If you have not already done so, in the Aria 2 Settings->Users->your name, change the Body Type setting from Regular to Lean, or vice versa, and see if that changes your reading to more of what you would expect.

Best Answer

@Klang5424 It's great to see you in the Fitbit Community! I'm sorry to hear that your body fat percentage hasn't gone down. The information shared by my friend @USAF-Larry is totally correct. Please make sure to follow his advice and see if the issue gets fixed.

In the meantime, I'd also like to know if your Aria itself shows the same body fat percentage without any change.

See you later! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am really disappointed that after I paid 120 £ on an expensive scale, the product performs worst than a 20 £ scale. Clearly something is wrong in your algorithm used to give the final output. What is curious again for me is the fact that Fitbit didn't released a firmware update to fix this. As so many people have complained around here. We do no have to try different solutions or gimmicky tricks in order for an expensive product to work. This being said, this my last product bought from Fitbit. And I will make sure that no one in my circles buy them.

Best Answer