Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria 2 weight not actually private

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

This was originally reported for the Aria in 2016 in this post here.  The problem seems to persist in 2018 despite the marketing and product labeling stating otherwise.

I just purchased an Aria 2 and was setting it up with my daughter today (in 2018) and we both immediately found we could see each other's weight.  Living with my wife and 3 daughters, I can tell you this is a non starter.  No one in my house will use this scale if weight data can't be made private.  It even says on the outside of the box "...keeps individual stats private."  How can you call this private and how can this still be an issue 2 years after first being reported.

As stated in the 2016 post, simply use the Fitbit app to look at recent weight-ins...where you can reassign another user's weigh-in to you (regardless of their privacy settings)...and now you can clearly see their weight...this persists even if you reassign weight back to the original user.

Do I have an incorrect understanding of "private"?

Best Answer
38 REPLIES 38

What the hell fitbit?! This has been an issue since at least 2016. This is appalling. ‘Expect to have a solution soon’ ...?! What is the expected release date for the fix? 

This ridiculously unacceptable - how do you not see this?! I got a Fitbit for me and my partner for some nice competition to get more active and the aria 2 to monitor some progress knowing I have a long way to go. I’m devastated that day 1 within the first 30 mins he accidentally saw the data whilst we were both setting up as we weren’t sure who was who having both tried out the scales to get it going. 

Fix it now! This is so gutting. How could you think this was ok to be running as an issue for so long?! 

Waiting for your response before I return it...

i would never have bought it if you hadn’t lied about data being private. "Recognizes us to 8 users but keeps individual stats private"

Does the idea of ‘personal data’ not mean anything?! 

I'm utterly horrified and devastated!

Oh ffs - and the picture that I uploaded as private isn’t either based on what I can see?! 

🤦🏼‍:female_sign:

Jeez 

👏🏻 Well done!

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

I’m very disappointed in FitBit regarding this. My partner bought me the scales and showed me how it states your info is private, just to then find out it wasn’t. It’s caused upset. FitBit acknowledged a long time ago they were aware of this issue yet NOTHING has been done to resolve it. This is false advertising and I feel the ombudsman would find this one quite interesting. What a complete waste of money and a disgrace how it affects people’s relationships. 

Best Answer

@Arual_1983 @Pb1234 @BeckyBrooks Thank you for reporting this and I appreciate your understanding. Your feedback is greatly appreciated too.

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m not sure you understand the difference between ‘inconvenience’ and entirely incorrect published information. 

That response doesn’t actually suggest you think this is an issue - just some minor ‘inconvenience’. 

Best Answer

@Arual_1983 Thank you for sharing your comments and feedback. This helps us to keep improving.

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just set this up for the opposite;  I want my husband and I to see each other’s weigh ins.  I had to do so through the Fitbit.com website.  I clicked on the gear symbol and then on left margin clicked on ‘Manage Account Access’.  (make sure that in the top left margin, the view is relative to your scale name—- click on scale name). It was set up as ‘hide’, and I changed it to ‘show data’.  Since I was trying to ‘show data’,  verses ‘hide data’, I also needed to do one more step.  There is a link on that website to prompt you to send an invite to the person you want to have access to the data.  Doubt you need to do that when taking access away.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

So was an update ever released for this? I also just bought this scale but my wife won’t use it because if I wanted to, I could see her number. Unless there was some fix for this I will need to send this back. Support, can we have an update please?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello JuanJo,

We just bought an Aria 2, and the same bug still exists. Even though you wrote "Our team is aware of this and expect to have a solution and update released soon" in September 2018, the problem has not been fixed in February 2020. Can you please clarify why not?

Thank you.

Best Answer

Wow, 4 years and still the same problem? I shared my new Aria 2 scale with a couple of users and when i went to log in, I could see all of the data, even though it is set to hidden. I'm sure my family would not be happy to know that I saw their supposedly private weights. Shame on you, fitbit. 

Best Answer

This is till an issue, how can this be going on since 2016?

Clearly this is a bug that cannot be fixed else the developers/testers would have done this already! Considering it’s a gross violation of privacy, does it not also fail on GDPR? 

Best Answer
I agree! Very wrong how this hasn’t been rectified

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

So why in August 2020 this is still an issue. I can go in to my login and change the user by the weight date and it changes and I can then see their weight. What the h.......

Best Answer
0 Votes

And it still isn't fix and it's now August 2020. NOT OKAY!

Best Answer
0 Votes

FITBIT is not working on this as it's now 2020 and the issue is still there. I guess I'll have to throw away my scale.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's been over 1.5 years.....what the hell fitbit--how hard can this be to fix?????

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is totally unacceptable FITBIT. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Obviously FITBIT does not care as it's now 2020-August and they still have solved a simple computer programing problem. I'm just going to get be a different smart scale. One that actually does keep things private.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's now August 2020 and still NO update to correct this terrible problem. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I got rid of my Fitbit and gave the scales to someone else (making them aware it’s not private). It’s a joke. Accidentally or purposefully you can still change over a ‘secret’ weight to your own and view it. Ridiculous that Fitbit is still advertising that the results are kept private when they absolutely are not.
Best Answer
0 Votes