Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria 2 won't connect to WiFi

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

So having difficulties connecting my new Aria 2 to Wifi.

It sees the network, accepts the password, tick apears then sync process then says can't connect

I have tried the following:-

• Reseting Router
  • Trying a different router
  • Trying a wifi extender
  • Changing from WPA to WPA-2 personal to WEP
  • Changing to a simple wifi password
  • Changing mode from 802.11 b/g/n mixed to g/n mixed to n only
  • My DHCP table shows it as having an IP and lease
  • banging head against wall
  • praying to the various gods and minor dieties
  • asking my two year old for technical advice

What is my next step? Is this a firmware issue or an issue with the synchronisation servers?

Yours hopefully

P.s also tried taking batteries out for ten min, router is 8 feet in direct line of sight to router, there are other wireless devices on network which are working fine.

Geoff

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
110 REPLIES 110

So I had this issue for a while even after fitbit replaced my fitbit Aria2. Today, i tried one more thing and i got it to work! I dont know what the deal is but you should do this. 

1. Make sure all router settings checkout as defined by fitbit.

2. If you still have your Aria2 on your account, delete it ( we will add as a new device)

2. Take your scale and place it right by the router( just for setup purposes).

3. Use your cellphone that uses a mobile network( do not be on a wifi network when setting up!)

4. Do the process to setup the aria scale.

5. do first weigh in while scale is still by router. ( should be successful)

6. Move scale to desired location and weigh in (repeatedly if you want) should be successful.

I am not sure how fitbit is doing the whole "add my device to wifi" in the background but i watched a Youtube video on the first scale and it seems that before the aria2 when a device is added to a network temporarily the device that you are holding ( PC, laptop) connects to the fitbit scale as wifi network. This is no longer seems visible with the Aria2. I know this practice is prominent in wifi devices such as google and things when adding device to wifi network. I think there may be an issue with handling a device (PC, phone) already connected to the wifi network you want to add the aria2 scale to or even being on a wifi network already. I am so happy i finally figured this out and my scale is no longer a decorative item.

Best Answer

@Dreloc1842 thank you for participating in our Fitbit Community! I'm so glad to hear that you managed to get this issue resolved. Thank you for sharing the steps since I'm sure that this will help other users that experience the same issue.

I really understand how frustrating this was for you and I appreciate your feedback and comments since this helps us to keep improving.

As a side note, I'd like to invite you to visit our Discussions board where you can share your experiences, meet people and create new topics.

Hope to see you in our Fitbit Community more often! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi

i just purchased the Aria 2 and I am facing the same issue. I even tried using my phone hotspot. It got connected the first time but not after that. Please help. Considering to return it if it doesn’t work for me.

Best Answer

@Maddie_26 thank you for participating in our Fitbit Community! Let me go ahead and assist you with the connection issues that your Aria 2 is experiencing.

I'd like to know if your get any error message during the connection process. If so, please provide more details. Also, make sure that your router runs the protocol 802.11b or mixed mode (b,g,n) and the bandwidth is 2.4GHz. These details can be reviewed with your Internet service provider.

Finally, make sure that you are following the setup process as described in this help article.

Keep me posted on the outcome! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes
Return it?
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi

Thanks for responding. I have a wifi bridge that runs on wifi 5.0.

I am not sure about the configuration that you mentioned. I talked to my
iSP and they said that I need to check if Fitbit Is compatible to their
config.

I feel like I bought a product and no clear instructions were mentioned on
the website. Now m stuck with this and can’t use its features properly

Maddie
--
Regards

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes

OK.....  Lots of comments but very little help....   FitBit Engineering please do better!!

So this was the fix for me....

I configured my Aria 2 from my Google Pixel 3 phone.   I disabled the data plan on my cell connection.  (Note:  I didn't disable the WiFi connection.... on the data portion of the cellular connection). Once this was done I used the FitBit app to configure the Aria 2.   Worked easily without any issues.

Prior Story:

I'm an IT Guy.... I know pretty much everything about my home network.   I tried to connect using a Mac, iPhone, and Android phone without any luck.   Nothing was working.   Wireless network of the Aria 2 never displayed on any of my devices.  I was reading through this log to figure out how to fix the issue.  After about 2 hours of reading I stumbled across this configuration and it worked......   Hope this helps someone from wasting their time.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've had the same problem since I got the Aria 2.  and last weekend it stopped connecting altogether.  I tried it 2 inches from the router.  I tried resetting wireless network, and get weak signal, it won't connect. 

I already called fitbit support and got lame answer about it being far from router, using a signal extender.  My old Aria connects better, but inconsistently, which is why I bought the Aria 2.  We also have a Withings scale sitting right next to the Aria 2 which NEVER fails to connect.  I'd just go with the withings, if it could connect to my fitbit app. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I bought a scale on Amazon for about $30. Uses Bluetooth connects to
Fitbit app. Weight Guru I think is the name. Works every time. No hassles.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks, point 3. worked for me.  There seems to be a problem when you set up the Aria 2 with a device which is on the same network.  I used my iPhone on the mobile network.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thought I'd quickly share what I found with my Aria 2.  Long story short - it will initially connect fine and I have been using it for many months.  However, whenever I disable the SSID broadcast feature on my Wifi router, the Aria no longer is able to connect to the Wifi and gives me a "Can't Connect" error after each weigh-in.  As soon as I enable the SSID broadcast feature on my router again, the Aria 2 is able to connect like normal after each weigh-in.

Very poor design if you ask me - I would think that is something that could be updated in the firmware so it does not require the SSID broadcast to be enabled.  I like to keep my home network as private as possible, so do not broadcast the SSID.  I set up my "guest" network feature of the router just so I could connect the Aria 2 and leave the guest network broadcasting the SSID.

Fitbit: please change this requirement for the Aria 2 so that it will work without the SSID broadcast enabled.

Thanks and good luck to everyone who has this issue.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Which scale for you buy?  I'm about to return my band new aria2 that won't connect.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Weight guru or amazon has many Bluetooth choices
Best Answer

Suddenly my scale aria2 stopped syncing with the app on phone I tried to reset the scale with no success

i have entered wheight manually 

the only way

Best Answer
0 Votes

Is your replacement now working properly?

I have the same issue with my Aria2, It worked fine for two weeks, but today stopped synching. Already went through all the steps, checkmark tick for WiFi, but scale still doesn’t sync 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Nope. It doesn’t connnect at all.

Support sent me a long list of things to try, send them screenshots, etc. haven’t had time to deal with it.

Sent from my iPhone

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for your response. That was my thought today, after fiddling around with it for two hours. Who has time for that?!? I even pulled up my network map, and I can tell you support guys, that even so the scale showed a tick mark after resetting the wireless, Aria did not show up connected to my router or any of the satellites. I had even tried to set it up as a new scale, twice, and it did still not work properly. As a last try, before returning the scale and shopping for a new one, I deleted Aria from my FitBid app, and set it up again- and that did the trick… I hope it will last, the verdict is still out.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I posted this elsewhere but just in case it helps someone else...

FYI this happened to me today with an Aria 2 after years of working fine. I'm on Comcast, and it synchronized fine earlier today. Then constant "Connection error" messages. I have 9 devices on my mesh wifi network using both 2.4 and 5GHz.

I did all the steps I've seen here and on other places including setting up a guest network, resetting router/wifi, removing device from configured devices in router (Linksys Velop v1), removing device from Fitbit app, adding device with phone (iPhone XR) on wifi with data mode disabled, performing hard reset on Aria2... it would get through the green check indicating it synchronized correctly, and this would even be shown in the Fitbit app "Synced today, ....". Then "connection error" after trying to actually weigh myself.

I noticed some weirdness in my router's DHCP DNS information... so I added 8.8.4.4 as the primary DNS server there. Boom! Worked fine.

I suspect Comcast is doing some "creative" things with traffic shaping. Good luck trying to talk people through this one, Fitbit... this is one time where an internal list of static IPs might be a good backup solution.

Best Answer

I have a new aria2 (september 2019) and when insyalling Indon't a wifi network from it.

Excganged the unit and same problem. 

When I skipped wifi setup I was abke connect via bluetooth pasword which appeared on the aria2 display. I expected that there should be a connection then, but still no sign on the app that it is connected.

So I am not happy with the device at all. Also going to www.fitbit.com/setup only tells to install the app so I get stucked there always without any sign of help from Fitbit. Very disappointed with such low user friendlyness and probably bad quality over all. I have never experienced such problem with my Fitbit2 watch.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have Verizon FiOS at home and this trick did it for me. It had been working for over a year, but then stopped a couple days ago. Changing the primary DNS worked. Thanks, Stuart_!

Best Answer
0 Votes