Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria Air doesn't show body fat percentage

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Just a quick question regarding my new Aria Air scale. I was finally able to get it to sync with my phone and my Fitbit app. The weight comes through just fine but the body fat percentage does not populate in the body fat% field on the app. 

The scale was touted as being able to calculate this, and to determine the percentages with the help of the app. I had to manually figure out my body fat percentage and add it to my app. What is the procedure for having this information filled in automatically by the scale? Have I missed a setup step in either the app or the scale? 

Thanks!

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hello @debbert1967 and a warm welcome.  I think you misunderstood the product details.  The Aria Air does not calculate percent body fat.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
61 REPLIES 61

Hello @debbert1967 and a warm welcome.  I think you misunderstood the product details.  The Aria Air does not calculate percent body fat.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Best Answer

Screenshot_20191112-093618_Gmail.jpg

According to the promotional email that I received prior to ordering the
Aria Air, the screen shot of Fitbit's ad clearly states "see your BMI in
the Fitbit app". I'm not sure how I could have been mistaken by the very
claim that Fitbit makes.

Best Answer

If you go to the FitBit app, and the weight tile, then swipe left, the third graph is BMI (Body Mass Index). It is a simple calculation based only on your height (which you've told the app) and weight (which the Aria Air measures). So it is in the app.

Best Answer
Thank you!
Best Answer

@debbert1967   MANY users confuse BMI with percent body fat.  Like @KLSeattle said, BMI is a calculation based on height and weight.  The Aria/Aria 2 use electrical bioimpedance to estimate percent body fat.  The Aria Air does not measure percent body fat.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Best Answer

The display does have a bit that says BMI height and wait above the weight display. Obviously they don't light up though. What are they for? 

Best Answer

I am so disappointed with these scales.  My son purchased them as a Christmas Gift, they cost him £50, he is a student, so this is not a small amount to him.  My cheaper Salter scales are able to tell me weight, BMI, Water content, Fat %.  If these scales had not been a gift I would be returning them.  Waste of time product from Fitbit.

Best Answer

I bought this scale because of a promotion - fully expecting BMI to be sensed.  I see this post is old - after all this time, your marketing is still off.  That said, I'm trying to use the scale for the first time and the weight in the app and on the scale do not match.... I took out the batteries and put them back in the scale.  I saw the bit about completely restarting the scale - you've got to be kidding me!.

I stepped on it again and it sent the correct weight to the app.  Really disappointed about the % body fat.  Wish the app would not automatically populate 25% - it sort of rubs it in

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

Hello @cal77447 and a warm welcome.  I read both your posts and I have some thoughts for you.  I am assuming that you are the only user on your scale and that any weight will go to your account.  A weight doesn't sync to your account until you accept it.  The scale doesn't know who is on the scale until a weight is accepted.  Imagine this -- let's say there is some maintenance person working on your plumbing.  This person decides to step on your scale.  Hey, no one is looking, right?  Should this be on your account?  Since the scale doesn't know who is on the scale, the BMI displays in the app after it is accepted.

Also You put 25% in your post.  Many people confuse BMI and % body fat.  The Aria Air does not measure % body fat.  It calculates BMI, a relationship between height and weight.  BMI doesn't take body build into account.  A very fit, muscular person can have a BMI over 25, yet not be fat.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Best Answer

Where is BMI info displayed in the app?

I found it. 

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

Finally someone mentions something about BMI results and muscular people. I am 5’7”.  I weigh 194 lbs. My BMI is 30.6, which means that I am obese, but my 33-inch waist tells me I am not obese. My weight is mostly muscles.  I think BMI was developed at a time when going to the gym and fitness was not considered important. If Fitbit had existed back then, no one would have cared. But people do care about their fitness now, and Fitbit should create a BMI setting for muscular people—an on/off switch of some sort that recalculates the BMI, based on more parameters than just the weight-height ratio of an individual. 

Best Answer

I’ve tried removing the batteries multiple times followed by weighing 5 times , yet the body fat measurement is inconsistent. Please assist

Best Answer

Yes, Thank you so much! I’ve had the same struggle ever since I got my scale and could not figure out what I was doing wrong.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Female here and out stats about the same I'm about 5lbs under you. BMI is so pointless to me all I ever want to know is BFP and lean mass. My WW scale offers better info. Glad I got this on sale....I guess...

Best Answer

I just got my scale and on the screen it has ft, in, percent, kg, lb, BMI, WiFi, and there are some arrows... what are those for if the scale doesn’t track that?

Best Answer

If it has WiFi, then it is not an Aria Air, but the Aria model.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I wish there was an answer from Fitbit for this question.. any question. I'm new to the community.

Best Answer

When will this be improved to include body fat %, water %, CO2 % & heart rate?

This biggest decision maker of why I have not purchased the scale. As I can input this info quicker than waiting for this to be uploaded to my phone or watch. 

Thanks

Best Answer

I did buy one because they are still advertised as having BMI on them.  They do not!! 

Best Answer