Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria (Original Version) Reports Me as a GUEST

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Like many others here, I unfortunately own the original Aria scale that has worked fine for years (Model #FB2018 - located inside the battery cover between the 2 banks for 4 AA batteries) that no longer will sync with my FB account.   I'm assuming the "2018" in the Model # means the scale was manufactured in 2018.  If I'm correct, then the scale is only about 5 years old!

I've done everything - including a full system reset by removing a battery for 10 seconds and then using a paperclip to hold down the micro-switch that is accessible using a paperclip via a very small hole on the bottom of the unit and then replacing the battery.  This reset the unit to factory original V35 firmware.  I was successful at being able to get the scale to reconnect to my WiFi network and eventually it updated to the latest V39 firmware so this proves the scale was able to connect to the World Wide Web (WWW) and fetch/load the update.  The App on my Android eventually also updated to reflect the updated firmware.

The really frustrating thing about all of this is that I still can't get the darn scale to recognize me - it shows "GUEST" when I do my weigh in... and yes, I've updated my height/weight (because I've gotten fatter since I last weighed in successfully back in March 2023 when the thing was working) and still no dice!!! 

I also started a case number and got a e-mail response from "Kary L. and the FitBit Team" that suggested a laundry list of things to try (that included updating my weight) and still can't get it to work - Arrrgh!

I can tell in my WiFi router log that the Aria (via it's MAC address) is connecting wirelessly when I weigh in so it doesn't appear to be related to the scale connecting to my WiFi network plus the scale successfully requested, received and loaded the latest version of the Firmware.  This leads me to believe the issue is not a Scale<->FitBit internet connection problem and furthermore that the problem is downstream - maybe in the FitBit App or something on the FitBit/Google side.  FWIW, I am still using the FitBit App (i.e. didn't "migrate" my FB account to Google yet that according to FitBit will be supported until 2025).  

My decision to "migrate" my account to Google will hinge on if I can get a perfectly fine and working Aria Gen 1 scale to resync with my account.  It doesn't seem to make sense to share my information with Google if my old "Smart Scale" has become a "Dumb Scale" that is nothing more now than a door stop.

So what gives FitBit?  Will this be resolved or are we all just wasting our time trying to get these older Aria scales to connect?

I should also mention that I see the scale syncing when I go into the FB App on my Android, yet nothing shows up in the "Recent Weigh-Ins" which also tells me that there is full connectivity between the Scale to FitBit's servers.  This leads me to believe the issue is likely with the App itself (I'm using the latest as of today from Google Play that was last updated Nov 29, 2023).

Thanks all for reading my rant!!!

Best Answer
31 REPLIES 31

I have the same issue with my first gen Aria scale. I had not been able to connect it to wifi for a number of years, but recently got a new router that supports the old WiFi b. Now my scale can connect to my Wi-Fi, but the scale will only recognize Me as guest. (My weight has changed by more than 8 lbs since it last connected.)  I updated my start weight and date in the app but it still ids me as guest. Tried multiple weigh-ins. My iPhone 13 says it synced but does not show any weigh in info. I tried removing my profile and it deleted the scale from the app and now won’t add it back.  Frustrating

Best Answer

Yep... having the same issue here. 😞

Best Answer

@DawnDD 

I'm just curious: have you tried manually logging your current weight? (Note: Different from updating your start weight.)

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes... I'm forced to.  I have ordered a Wyze scale to replace my FitBit Aria brick as it is no longer of use to me.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, I manually log my weight into the Fitbit app as well as Apple Health. The scale still works non-smart.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@DawnDD , @estegmey @3picD 

I was able to "fool" my Aria to recognize me by looking at my weight log on fitbit.com and noting my weight (which was 198lbs. back in March of 2023) and it had a BMI measurement next to it.  Needless to say I gained more than 8lbs. since then and like many others decided to start working out again this year.

The trick for me was to put my partial weight on the scale and try to match within 198+8lbs.=206lbs.  Once I did that the scale finally recognized me! It does require a bit of patience to try and get the scale to match the last logged weight since the scale appears to sample weight over several seconds so it can vary a bit.

It really shouldn't be this difficult for the end user to sync these scales but is what it is. 

Hope this works for you guys too!

Good luck!!!!

Best Answer

I have the same problem. I haven't used Aria 1 in 6 months and now it says guest. I amended my weight to match my guest recordings but nothing. Tried a reset etc. Previously, we used to be able to see guest weigh-ins and change to a user, but not anymore - since google bought it they just take this data and don't bother to send it to you.

I will probably just get a new scale but won't buy Fitbit again if they share information with google but not the user - does anyone recommend another brand?

Best Answer

What happened after you weighed in with your full weight?  Did it switch and recognize you?

Best Answer

@DawnDD if your question was for me, then the answer is "yes"

Best Answer

@MAOB 

Just wondering if you tried matching your weight using the scale (i.e. not setting your weight in the App).  The weight on the scale needs to be within 8lbs of the last time the app recognized you. 

Assuming you may have gained  some weight, It might require strategically placing the scale between 2 chairs and lifting yourself a bit to get it to match.  If you've lost weight then you might have to add some weight by holding onto something that adds weight.

Good luck.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same problem here. I've spent hours on it. It's such a shame as it is a software change in Google - the scales are just as good as when I bought it. After spending hours on forums, I think the best course of action is to bin it and buy a Withings Scale, which can be connected to Fitbit account so I can continue tracking my weight. I looked at the newer Aria Air but it seems to have many of the same issues around guest weight, and after Google have done this to us and there is no attempt to fix it then I will avoid Fitbit in future.

Best Answer

I was able to ‘fool’ the scale by weighing in with one foot off the scale until my weight displayed within 8 lbs of what it logged at 3 years ago. Now I have to inch that weight up until it gets closer to my current weight. Hoping it will then recognize me when I log in normally.

Best Answer

I also have had the same issues and gave up trying to sort it out a year ago. I am not that technically minded but did all I was advised by Fitbit to do. Moving house has slowed down my investigating the problem. I look forward to seeing how this progresses, my feeling is that you are right and I wonder if it is thena sales ploy on Fitbits account to up the sales of new scales. I have the same age Aria scale set as you.

Best Answer

@YellowDucky 

I think the real trick is to figure out your weight the last time the scale recognized you and then "inch" up or down to your current weight.  That's what worked for me and now my Aria 1 recogizes me every time which makes me 🙂

Best Answer
Hmmm. Well, I have been manually logging my weight from the guest readings
- so the guest readings now are the same as me in fitbit. But maybe I'll
try and adjust my weight on the scales to match that of the last time it
remembered me...
Best Answer
0 Votes

@MAOB 

I tried what you did and it didn't work for me.  Then I read on another post the approach of matching the weight when the scale last recognized me and that actually worked.

It would be really nice if there was some sort of "reset" capability built into the app instead of this "hokey" approach.

Best Answer
0 Votes

By God, it worked! Thanks guys. 

Best Answer

Say goodbye to manually logging your weight!  👍 plus now you'll also get your BMI measurements too! An added plus!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I got this to work as far as it recognizing my old weight but I still couldnt get it to recognize my new weigh ins. 

Best Answer
0 Votes