Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria (Original Version) Reports Me as a GUEST

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Like many others here, I unfortunately own the original Aria scale that has worked fine for years (Model #FB2018 - located inside the battery cover between the 2 banks for 4 AA batteries) that no longer will sync with my FB account.   I'm assuming the "2018" in the Model # means the scale was manufactured in 2018.  If I'm correct, then the scale is only about 5 years old!

I've done everything - including a full system reset by removing a battery for 10 seconds and then using a paperclip to hold down the micro-switch that is accessible using a paperclip via a very small hole on the bottom of the unit and then replacing the battery.  This reset the unit to factory original V35 firmware.  I was successful at being able to get the scale to reconnect to my WiFi network and eventually it updated to the latest V39 firmware so this proves the scale was able to connect to the World Wide Web (WWW) and fetch/load the update.  The App on my Android eventually also updated to reflect the updated firmware.

The really frustrating thing about all of this is that I still can't get the darn scale to recognize me - it shows "GUEST" when I do my weigh in... and yes, I've updated my height/weight (because I've gotten fatter since I last weighed in successfully back in March 2023 when the thing was working) and still no dice!!! 

I also started a case number and got a e-mail response from "Kary L. and the FitBit Team" that suggested a laundry list of things to try (that included updating my weight) and still can't get it to work - Arrrgh!

I can tell in my WiFi router log that the Aria (via it's MAC address) is connecting wirelessly when I weigh in so it doesn't appear to be related to the scale connecting to my WiFi network plus the scale successfully requested, received and loaded the latest version of the Firmware.  This leads me to believe the issue is not a Scale<->FitBit internet connection problem and furthermore that the problem is downstream - maybe in the FitBit App or something on the FitBit/Google side.  FWIW, I am still using the FitBit App (i.e. didn't "migrate" my FB account to Google yet that according to FitBit will be supported until 2025).  

My decision to "migrate" my account to Google will hinge on if I can get a perfectly fine and working Aria Gen 1 scale to resync with my account.  It doesn't seem to make sense to share my information with Google if my old "Smart Scale" has become a "Dumb Scale" that is nothing more now than a door stop.

So what gives FitBit?  Will this be resolved or are we all just wasting our time trying to get these older Aria scales to connect?

I should also mention that I see the scale syncing when I go into the FB App on my Android, yet nothing shows up in the "Recent Weigh-Ins" which also tells me that there is full connectivity between the Scale to FitBit's servers.  This leads me to believe the issue is likely with the App itself (I'm using the latest as of today from Google Play that was last updated Nov 29, 2023).

Thanks all for reading my rant!!!

Best Answer
31 REPLIES 31

@JCH19 

I think the trick is to incrementally increase or decrease your weight depending on what your weight is now versus the last time your scale recognized you AND staying within 8lbs of when the scale recognized you last.  This might require several iterations to achieve. 

Good luck!

Best Answer
I ended up figuring that out! Kind of a pain in the butt. 😐
Best Answer

@Wanch TY so much for this. I gained over 40#s (thanks covid lockdown) and had to partially sit on my chair to get as close to my 2016 weight since i just found my Aria after numerouse moves. hopefully it will recognize my husband now since he's never used it. TY again 🙂

Best Answer

@BWillis808 you're welcome 😊 🙏.   Glad it helped! 

Best Answer

I have the same issue. It used to be you could go to “Recent Weigh-ins” in the app, find the guest entry, and change it to your name. That feature seems to have disappeared for some inexplicable reason - the guest entries no longer show up in my app anywhere. So there’s nothing I can do other than manually enter data, which I could be doing with a cheap, dumb scale. What’s up with this, FB?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same problem here this morning - glad to know it’s not just me but would be good for it to be fixed.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Well, as we figured out - you just need to check what weight you were last
time it recognised you, then weigh yourself and get back to that same
weight by pushing up or down on the wall. Once it recognised me, I did it a
couple more times to gradually meet the weight I am currently at. It just
took a couple of minutes and now it knows who I am again.
Best Answer

This solved the issue I had my last weight in the logs. Manually added an entry adding 4lbs to my last weight, weight again and it recognize me back again.

Thanks a lot

Best Answer
0 Votes
If you go to settings in the Fitbit app, then go to help and support, then help articles and find your model aria. Then select quick links and you will find the solution- it’s very simple to rectify this problem.
I did this myself and the scale is working perfectly now.

Regards, Theresa
Best Answer
0 Votes

But what's the point just get a cheap scale in that case 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Nah, that didn't help me a bit. All I saw there for Aria was making sure it's connected and recognized by my LAN... Which it is. I gained over 8 pounds while on vacation, so didn't recognize me. Like many others here, I'll "trick" the scale to think I weigh less until I actually do. Before Google got their fingers in it and ruined the app, it was a simple process to go in and edit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's not FitBit, it's Google. They ruined the software, and don't care about the end user. I won't buy another FitBit when this one dies. I'll probably get a Google watch, because that's what they want.

Best Answer
0 Votes