Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria Wifi ERR solution for new routers which support 802.11ac

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

So I spent a little while trying to get my Aria re-connected after making some changes to my router.

I have one of the new models with two radios (2.4Ghz and 5). It uses 802.11 b/g/n on the 2.4Ghz band and ac on the 5Ghz band, and offers to "intelligently" use the correct band for the device connecting. I set it up on a newish laptop running Windows 10. Apparently there's something that Aria doesn't like about this whole setup, but I finally got it working and this is how:

1. Turn on the guest network in your router and make sure it's set to use the b/g/n mode. (or no more than 54Mbps, or compatibility mode, or whatever they call it in your router.)
  2. Give your guest network a name that only includes letters or numbers. (There's no real reason for this; it seems Fitbit just decided that would be easier for them.)
  3. Make sure there are no hackers in the near vicinity.
  4. Turn off any security for your guest network.
  5. Make sure your guest network is visible (is broadcasting its SSID)
    1. If you don't own your router or have some means of accessing the settings, try calling whoever does and asking them to please change the settings for you, ideally while you're home, during working hours. We're using the guest network because 802.11b is a slower protocol and you'll want to keep using the faster ones on your secure home network. 802.11b was only superceded by faster protocols in 2003, so it's understandable that Fitbit needs a little time to catch up.
  6. Put your Aria in setup mode by taking out one battery for 10 seconds.
  7. Bring your scale, router, and laptop to within 10 feet of one another.
  8. Go to http://www.fitbit.com/setup/aria (I used MS Edge, because enterprise software teams tend to develop for Microsoft first and it doesn't allow plugins. If you don't have Edge, try IE8) (I know we're not dealing with enterprise software here, but it feels the same, so work with me here.)
  9. Clear your cookies and restart your browser. Throw a pinch of salt over your left shoulder and spin around three times counterclockwise.
  10. Follow the prompts, giving your Aria a name that reflects your feelings towards Fitbit. Be honest.
  11. Take a break and send an email to Fitbit support asking why they couldn't just use WPS like printers and music streaming boxes and everything else that needs to connect to wifi without having a keyboard.
  12. Connect to the network starting with "ARIA", hoping that there's only one. You might have to wait a bit for the network to show up.
  13. Hope that no wise guy has called his router "ARIA501b" or something to trick you to connecting to it.
  14. Let it scan for networks and select your guest network. Status messages will be displayed on the scale.
  15. When the webpage shows your guest network, select it.
  16. When prompted, go to your wifi settings and connect to your guest wifi.
  17. Go back to the page and click continue.
  18. Hopefully you'll get a success page, but we're not done yet. Go have a cup of tea.
  19. Put your scale on a hard surface somewhere
  20. Stand on it.
  21. Step off when it tells you to step off.
  22. Watch the display to see if it gives you a checkmark after displaying your weight, BF, and initials, then doing the little "sending" animation.
    1. If you get a little x above a wifi symbol, it didn't work. Contact support or go to step 8 and try, try again.
  23. Go to your fitbit dashboard or open the app and see if it logged your weight.
  24. Go back into your router settings and change your guest wifi to WPA2 and give it a simple password with only letters and numbers (again, this appears to be just because Fitbit decided that would be easier for them.)
  25. Repeat step 8 through 20, including the cup of tea, but this time, when you select your guest network, the scale (or whatever device is broadcasting a name starting with ARIA) will ask for your wifi password. Give it your guest network password. (This is why step 2 is very important. If it turns out to be a honeypot device, at least you have only given it your guest wifi password, which you totally aren't using anywhere else, right?)
  26. Enjoy your new time and effort saving scale!
Best Answer
125 REPLIES 125

Trying this but the aria keeps blanking out during "sending your wi-fi information to the scale" stage. Ugh. 

Support says there are problems with Comcast routers and want the serial number. So very, very disappointed.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Tsanta59 Thanks for getting back! I was able to get in touch with our Support team and was told that there is a case already created for you and they'll be happy to follow up and help you to find a solution. You should receive an email from them soon.

@smileitsjnet It's great to see you in the Community! I want to follow up and would like you to make sure that your router is using the protocol 802.11b, the bandwidth is 2.4GHz. Also, make sure that your WiFi password is alphanumerical only. This information can be reviewed with your Internet service provider.

@BrooklynBridge I'm sorry to hear that your Aria is not connecting with your Comcast router. I was able to get in touch with our Support team and was told that they need the serial number so they can assist accordingly. I really understand how you feel about this issue. Please provide this info via email and they'll be happy to find a solution for you.

I'll be around if more assistance is needed guys! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry to say, this did not work for me. I have tried everything. I deleted the users, I deleted the scale. I tried with my phone, my computer, the app the web page. I tried Google Chrome and Edge. It gets to step 4 and then I get WIFI ERR. I contacted Tech support but they can't get back to me for 2 days. I will be at work then, so no help at all! It now says Networks Detected...so...if it will not connect, I don't care!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Oh ya know I moved it closer to my router and it totally worked fine... dunno if anyone else might benefit from that!?

Best Answer
I put mine next to the router. Nada. Enough time wasted!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Moderator JuanJoeBitbit:  In part, you wrote, "Also, make sure that your WiFi password is alphanumerical only."

It is advised by both experts and the manufacturers NOT to change default (factory set) passwords to personal, alphanumerical ones.  I'm not changing my router password so that I can access my Fitbit scale.  All my other devices, four in total, work with the non-alphanumerical, factory set passwords on my new router/gateway.

After using the Aria scale for almost two years and syncing with my Iphone Fitbit app during that time with no issues or problems with my older router, I now have a Aria scale that I can use as a five pound paper weight.  Shame on Fitbit for not getting this right.

Best Answer

This is the second time I've had problems with Fitbit software and setup...each time seems to coincide with new product releases. Could it be that Fitbit is trying "backdoor marketing" by creating problems for people who have their "older" products, to encourage them to buy new ones? That's my guess. So, awhile back I stuck my Fitbit HR in a drawer, bought an Apple watch, and now, after reading the workarounds for this new problem (BTW, Aria 2 was just introduced), will probably turn my Aria scale in on the next electronic trash day and move on. Lesson learned. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've had my Aria scale 2 years this past February and loved it! Worked yesterday and ERR today. Batteries weren't dead,  no router or wifi changes. Went through all troubleshooting with fitbit just to be told its defective and out of warranty. I've had $30 scales last longer than this. Disappointing for sure! I'm connected but get the sensing, step off, thinking, ERR.....HELP

Best Answer
0 Votes

Deleting my old Aria and trying to connect didn’t work for me. Bummer. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone! I'm sorry to hear that you are still experiencing setup and syncing issues with your Aria scales. I'd like you to guys let me know what is the brand, make and model of your routers. In case you have Comcast routers, please take a look at Kate's post where she shared a workaround and an update for Aria scales not connecting with Comcast routers.

Let me know if you have any doubts guys! Smiley Happy

Best Answer

For our UVERSE router I added a guest network with a simple password (as the Fitbit Aria won’t accept special characters), removed the users for the Aria in the Fitbit via my computer browser, followed the set up instructions on the iPhone and it works!!!!  Why so hard Fitbit?

Best Answer

@BrSherwood I'm so glad to hear that your Aria scale is working properly now! Thank you for posting the update here. I appreciate your feedback since I understand how frustrated this was for you.

Don't hesitate to get back if you need further assistance! Smiley Happy

Best Answer

Thank you for you solution. After, I don't know how man time, this solution worked. Finally. 

Best Answer

@connythomson That's great news! It's good to hear that the solution shared above helped you with this issue.

I'd like to invite you to visit our Discussions board, where you can share your experiences, meet people and create new topics.

Hope to see you in our Fitbit Community more often! Smiley Happy

Best Answer

I have an AT&T router

Best Answer
0 Votes

I gave up on trying to fix the Aria issue. I think it’s disgraceful that an expensive scale has so many difficulties, and makes customers jump through so many hoops. 

I just bought a Fitbit Charge 2 and am not liking it because it’s so wildly off the distance travelled. My old Fitbit one was so much more accurate. I’m going to be researching other fitness tracker brands. Fitbit has been very disappointing lately. And of course, there is no customer service. Pity.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@fitfanTX Thank you for getting back! Please try resetting your router. Once you've done this, check out this help article so you can see the router settings that the Aria needs. If you need to know how to check the settings, please get in touch with your Internet service provider so they can help you to change the settings to the required ones.

@Tsanta59 Since you are still experiencing issues with your Aria scale, I got in touch with our Support team and they'll be happy to follow up and assist you via email. You should receive an email from them soon.

Regarding your Fitbit Charge 2, I appreciate your feedback. Please create a new post in the Charge 2 board so you can get a faster response.

I'll be around if more questions arise guys! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

This worked! Took me a few times, but I finally followed it to a tee and got it. My problem was that I tried using Chrome and it wasn't until I went to Edge and I fully cleared all cookies and browsing data that I got it. Fitbit software really is fragile. This is like a tightwire act... unreal.

Best Answer

@GACattak Welcome to our Fitbit Community! I'm so glad to hear that your Aria scale could be connected. Thank you for posting the update here and your feedback.

I'd like to invite you to visit our Discussions board where you can share your experiences, meet people and create new topics.

Hope to see you in our Fitbit Community more often! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Does anyone else have to do the solution daily?

(From the prior post)

Click the drop-down on the "b/g/n" and change it to "g/n". (Yes, I know, the scale is on b.) Hit save. Wait until it refreshes. Then repeat the process and change it back to "b/g/n" hit save, wait until it refreshes and then go stand on your scale.

This solution used to work for a couple of weeks, now I need to do this each and every day. Is there a new workaround?

Best Answer
0 Votes