Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria body fat percentage questions

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi, I have a question on whether it is really possible I'm made up of 33% body fat (according to the aria scale).  Here are my stats:

51 year old woman

5' 6"

132 lbs.

currently wearing a size 6

33% body fat according to the charts means I'm obese.  I don't feel obese.  I know I need to lose 8 more lbs. to be at my ideal weight that I feel best at, but this 33% body fat has been pretty consistent the whole time I've been dieting.  Even after I lose 8 more lbs., I do not think it will be much less than 33% body fat on the aria scale.  I'm definitely not lean, so I know selecting the "lean" category in the settings would not apply to me.

I'm fine with just ignoring this and feeling good about the lbs. I've already lost, but every morning it's still a little depressing to weigh yourself and think how is it possible that 33% of my body is pure fat.

I weigh myself bare foot, dry feet every morning before I shower.  I do not move the scale.  It is sitting on the floor in my bedroom, same spot as always.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
356 REPLIES 356

I seriously doubt that my body fat percentage really went from 13.8% to 28% overnight.... im thinking it’s a scale problem:) 

Best Answer

I'm just as unhappy with the Aria 2 scales as you are & for the same reason. We're only had it for 5 months but it is 10% higher on the fat measurement. It Didn't start out that way and I don't know What's wrong with it. I agree, it was a waste of money & we have two other scales that are always correct for our weight. I actually got very worried when I saw 35% body fat and talked to my doctor. I weigh 104, have a bmi of 23 & my dr. Says fat is less than 25%. I won't use them any more & don't trust their products ( measurement devices.)  It's a shame because I was so excited to get the Charge 3 for Christmas, then the Aria 2 a couple weeks later.  Fitbit should be ashamed!  35% fat is horribly unhealthy! & the number is alarmingly wrong!

Never considered a network problem to be the cause of malfunction! But we DID change our network.  Will check dates to see if major nd change occurred after the change. No matter, really, Fitbit should be more on top of it's game...Google, too, since they own it now. 

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

After changing batteries the body fat % that the scale displays went from 23% to 35%.

For 3+ years I have been around 20-23%, and the same body fat % after replacing batteries.

This time changing the batteries it displays the odd 35%.

How can I get this fixed?

Getting Very disappointing,  which is synonymous with the 8+ watches I had to go thru over the years, but that is off topic.

Best Answer

I have just brought the Aria Air Scales and I have tried all the steps suggested and they still will not show my body fat %. I have also tried to use the live chat to contact customer support, and keep being sent to a random page that basically makes me start again. You then only get 3 tries before you are timed out. Does anyone have some advice how to make these scales work or I think I will have to take them back and buy some more reliable ones! Thanks 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, @SarahAdams1906! The Aria Air doesn't show you bodyfat... that's the inherent problem.

MakMak | Community Council

If you find a response useful, please mark it as a solution to help others.

Check out the Lifestyle Forums for ways to get more active!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Agree, doing IF and losing weight and inches and BF according to Aria 2 is increasing?  I finally removed the BF from my view because mentally it bothered me and made me question everything I am doing.. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I disagree with the response of body fat increase with weight loss. Our scale was almost 10 points lower before the new scale. We have reset it and tried all the fixes suggested. We used the original scale for a few years. I am 5’6” and 120lb. 29.4% body fat(!)     Previously Body fat was 15.7 !

I don’t get that answer. I’m 5’6” 120 lb and this Aria says my body fat goes 27-29.4% .  My previous scale said 15.7

Best Answer

I have the EXACT same issue. Went from 20% to 40% after changing WiFi networks. What the hell?

Just placed my order! Thank you very much for sharing that scale looks awesome and if it craps out after just one or two years I won’t feel bad so bad about spending another $29 I’m not buying another device from Fitbit, I’ve had too many issues and it’s ridiculous that they don’t care to help us resolve them

Best Answer
Here are sreen shots of the data the scale calculates....
Best Answer
0 Votes

I've had this scale since 2014. Just changed my network and my BF% went from 22% to 40%+

Have tried

- Remove batteries for 15 sec, weigh in 5 times: no change.

- Change profile from M to F, weigh in twice 50%+, change back to M, weigh in twice: 40%

- Change height to 9 ft tall: 33%, back to 6 ft: 40%

- Factory reset: no change

- Forgetting current network and re-adding same network:
September 16, 2020 2:09 PM  224.1lbs  30.1%
September 16, 2020 2:09 PM  224.1lbs  30.3%
September 16, 2020 2:08 PM  224.1lbs  30.6%
September 16, 2020 2:07 PM  223.6lbs  31%
September 16, 2020 2:07 PM  223.8lbs  31.3%
September 16, 2020 2:06 PM  223.7lbs  31.7%
September 16, 2020 2:05 PM  223.6lbs  32.1%
September 16, 2020 2:04 PM  223.6lbs  33%
September 16, 2020 2:04 PM  223.9lbs  34.3%
September 16, 2020 2:03 PM  223.5lbs  36.4%
September 16, 2020 2:03 PM  223.9lbs  39.1%

What the hell is wrong with your software/firmware Fitbit!?!?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Save yourself more aggravation and frustration.....get a WYZE Bluetooth scale...$30. lusing the aria for a doorstopo now...

Moderator Edit: Formatting

Best Answer

My wife and I are similar weights so we often end up with weigh ins assigned to the wrong person. I then have to assign it to the right person. 

If a reading is changed from me to her, the body fat percentage doubles. If a reading is changed from her to me, the body fat percentage is halved. 

A reading assigned to a few male user is double the body fat percentage of the same reading assigned to a male user. 

Best Answer
The Aria fat percentage has been a complete fiasco for a couple of years...
Best Answer

Same here - i am 5' 7" and around 147lbs - no way do I accept that my body fat is in the morbidly obese range when my BMI is fine.

Best Answer
0 Votes
The scales simply don’t work for body fat.

Lucinda
Best Answer

I'm male 72 my body Aria 2 fat readings have decreased from 32% to 18% steadily as I have lost 50+ pounds. Seems to work for me.

However,  my wife has lost 50 pounds and her body fat (using same Aria 2) has remained at essentially 40%.   She is really frustrated with the scale.

I tried the profile check, and reset fro, female to male (same %) and back to female (same %) , etc. etc.  No change.

They seem to work for me (yes it is a rough benchmark and is best for trends) but it does not work for my wife who has lost 50 pounds and her BF % has remained at 40%.  She didn't lose equal amounts of fat and lean!  This indicates the fitbit algorithms have a bug.  It seems to be software not hardware.

Best Answer
0 Votes

People have been posting this same issue for at least 6 years. Why do you keep using this same tired and apparently inaccurate response? Take away body fat, fix it or refund part of every purchaser's cost.

Best Answer