Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria can't connect to my new wifi

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I recently had to change out my wifi router.  It is the exact same type as my previous router that was connected to the scale but for some reason this scale will not connect to the new router.  Oh it was a nightmare connecting the scale to the first wifi as well, but I am over it.  !!!!! I have been trying for three days.  Shame on you fitbit for putting out such subpar material.  some one needs to tell me how to fit this setup or I want my money back.  My scale is saying that it has detected the networks but my network does not appear to connect to it.  I should have bought a Withings scale. uggh.

Moderator Edit: Title change for clarity

Best Answer
429 REPLIES 429

This problem seems to be very common. I am surprised Fitbit Does not addressit or provide the fix more easily.

1. the scale does not see 5gh networks

2. one must be savvy enough to know how to set your router to 802.11b. what ever the f that is.

going back to using a Garmin and dumb scale.

what is b/g/n?

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes
I trashed mine after months of attempts ... garbage

~Lisa Mac 🐝
Best Answer
0 Votes
I threw mine into a dumpster three weeks ago. Best timesaving life changer I’ve made in a long time!
Best Answer
0 Votes
I have a newer router and modem that is the only change.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Ok, i'll try and make this an easy fix for everyone ... BUT ... ALL MODEM MANUFACTURES DO THINGS DIFFERENTLY.  So, you probably will have to figure stuff out on your own too.

First off, to try and put this in non-tech speak, your wireless things (modems, Access Points [AP]) have different languages that they speak in.  If your device doesn't speak that language it can't communicate (and connect to) the wireless modem/AP.  Most modems/AP have options for you to allow the old methods still work but they sometimes change things so it's not a default. 

Back story: All technology moves forward and old communication methods get dropped as "normal communication types" change ... after a certain amount of time.  Just like you couldn't connect a 20 year old cell phone to the new networks cell phones use now.  This should just be a simple change in your settings IF THIS IS YOUR PROBLEM.

To connect to your wireless modem, look on the device itself. There most likely is a sticker that will say something like "https://192.168.1.1" and then a user name and password.  Go to your web browser (which you probably are already in reading this) and put that in.  If that doesn't bring up a login page for you, try "https://192.168.1.254" .  If you get some message about communication type try dropping the "s" in https ... so http://192.168.1.1.  Login with the user / password from your devices sticker.

Next find a tab/menu for Wifi and go there.  Look for something that says "band" or 2.4Ghz and there should be a drop down or options there you can change.  Change it to something that is probably "b/g/n" .. something with all 3 is probably your option.  See this for an example https://i.stack.imgur.com/KBFbn.png  You're might not look the same but this should get you moving forward.  Save your settings and try to connect your scale again.

Hope this helps someone. 

ps. FITBIT ... for FFS add this to your help pages. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thx for the great reply,

I moved from a personal router to Cox Panaoramic Wifi yesterday; modem/router combined.  It does not operate as separate bands.  Do you have any experience with these?

Best Answer

From this page https://www.cox.com/residential/internet/panoramic-whole-house-wifi.html it looks like 'b' is not covered.

"The Panoramic Wifi Gateway is the only Wifi Modem Cox offers for rental. This device combines a DOCSIS 3.1 (3.0 for Internet Starter, Internet Essential and Internet Preferred) cable modem with a powerful 2-port gigabit wired router, dual band 802.11 AC wireless router which also supports 802.11 A/G/N."

Looks like you are SOL.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Idic!

I appreciate the effort.  I found the same.

Funny, I have a perfectly good router that I am sure I could set as needed to 'b'.  I also read the 'b' devices slow performance throughout the network.  It's time for Fitbit to build products that keep up with routers.  Anyway, I am going to go back to my old dumb scale and log weights.  

Cheers

Best Answer
0 Votes

Not defending any manufacture that uses 'b' but for the amount of data that a scale needs to send, 'b' is probably perfect and maybe even keeps cost down.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, Idic. Great advice you give. I agree that 802.11b has sufficient bandwidth for the amount of data. My issue with Fitbit using 802.11b is twofold Firstly, the range is terribly short, at least with my a/b/g/n/ac dual band modem. The scale will only reliably sync when in the same room as the modem. The second is that the technology is just old. It would be like a mobile phone manufacturer selling a 2G phone. This thread goes back 4 years!

Best Answer

Huh, interesting John.  In my house the scale is on the top floor and my wifi router is 2 levels down in the basement and on the other side of the wall with all the ducting. I havent seen it have any problems connecting and sending data.  I wonder why there is the differences.

But .. no disagreeing about the age of the 'b'.  If they update the scale it defiantly should leave that tech in the past.

IM SURE THEY ARE READING THIS THREAD FOR THE FEEDBACK FROM THEIR USERS.  🙂  

Best Answer
0 Votes
It might be because I have a mesh setup and there is some confusion between the base station and a repeater.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I couldn't get my Aria 2 to attach to my new router.  So my old router was still working and I made it a slave to my new router and attach my Aria to the old rout WiFi2.4g.  Also I've found taking out one battery doesn't help you need to remove all three for about 10 seconds.

Now I have four WiFi networks and everything works great.

Jerry

Best Answer
0 Votes
I set mine free and bought a new scale... not worth the hassle

~Lisa Mac 🐝
Best Answer

To use the Aria 2 scale your router needs to be able to support the old protocol 802.11b.

Jerry

Best Answer
0 Votes
I am not a computer expert , just someone who wants to use ascale. You should not need to go through this stuff just “ plug and play” like all the other devices that are available on the market!!! 

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone
Best Answer

Aria 2 works great if you are using an older router.  The router needs to support 802.11b some newer routers don't.  Check to see if your router supports the older wifi protocol.  Works for me.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This thing isn't worth the hassle.

Best Answer
0 Votes

my aria scale keep saying error when i try to connect it to the new router

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yep... and then I threw the garbage scale away.

~Lisa Mac 🐝
Best Answer
0 Votes