Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria can't connect to my new wifi

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I recently had to change out my wifi router.  It is the exact same type as my previous router that was connected to the scale but for some reason this scale will not connect to the new router.  Oh it was a nightmare connecting the scale to the first wifi as well, but I am over it.  !!!!! I have been trying for three days.  Shame on you fitbit for putting out such subpar material.  some one needs to tell me how to fit this setup or I want my money back.  My scale is saying that it has detected the networks but my network does not appear to connect to it.  I should have bought a Withings scale. uggh.

Moderator Edit: Title change for clarity

Best Answer
429 REPLIES 429
First, the instructions Fitbit has posted for this are almost correct.
Unfortunately, almost is not good enough. Where it says to press down on
the two lower corners of the scale, they don't specify that you should
press quickly. I was pressing for a couple of seconds and it wasn't
working. Then I, quite accidentally, did it quickly and it worked.
FitBit needs to get a fix for this. It should only be a software
problem, so it could easily be fixed with an update. Of course, these
businesses are now run by some of the stupid MBAs who think they can
manage everything, especially since business "theory" says they can!
Unfortunately they are ONLY theories and theories that don't work!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Changing my wifi settings is what FINALLY solved this issue.

New router is capable of many wireless modes (802.11 b / g / n). I tried using mixed, but it did not work. Had to set to "b only".

Connected immediately after I made the switch. Hopefully this doesn't affect other devices on the network though...

Best Answer
0 Votes

To touch on my last post, I continued messing around with my wireless settings to see what would and would not work.

To set up the scale, ensure that your router settings are configured to a 802.11b only mode. It may connect on a g or mixed mode, but I wasn't about do disconnect my scale and euchre myself lol. You can access these settings by doing a quick google search "How to change (router brand) settings". In my case I typed in 192.168.0.1 into the internet search bar and it opens up the router settings. Requires a log in, which will typically be a defaulted "admin" username and "admin" password.

Once in the settings, check you wireless mode and set to 'b' only. Also check that Security Mode is set to WPA.

Go through the standard setup process. In my case I used a Windows 7 PC and followed the procedure from fitbit.com/setup/aria.

After the Aria is functioning properly, I was able to switch wireless mode back to g/n mixed and the aria stayed connected. Switching to 'n' only though disconnected the scale. You'll want to switch back to g/n mixed as you'll get better internet speeds.

Hope this helps anyone unfortunate enough to have to try and reconnect this terribly designed scale.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I deleted my account from the aria & then reconnected it. It linked to wifi during set up eventually. It was when I tried to weight myself where it said thinking, thinking, err.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Our of the clear blue mine finally connected! This is maddening. I dread the batteries dying!
Best Answer
0 Votes

The real sad thing is that when the batteries die, your router is replaced, or you change providers again you will go back to square one and the &%#$^)@(!  will start all over again. Fitbit needs to build this scale to match current tech, not demand that we dumb down our WiFi connection to 2011 specs. add me to the lost clients of Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I get the message on Aria after pulling a battery if I want to change the wi-fi name to tap aria. I am not getting any direction after that. Any help?

Best Answer
0 Votes
Sorry, I don't recall how I changed mine. I've found that you may be
more successful by doing these things on your cell phone rather than
on-line with a computer. Makes no sense, but that was it for me. I do
remember that I could not use more than three letters for the name.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I've had the same problem on occasion, but it seemed to eliminate itself
after awhile.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks I'll try that.

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes

HOW did you get it to sync?  3 days I've been trying - finally got it to recognize the wifi - but now it ID's me as guest and won't sync.....

This has been a ridiculously frustrating ordeal....and its not over yet

Best Answer
0 Votes

So how do I know it's connected?  I thought if the network said connected that was it.....will the scale tell me when its connected?

Best Answer
0 Votes
I don't know. It just finally done it. I moved the scales to right beside the modem & it worked after a few times.

I still can't weight myself though - it goes from thinking to error. I've given up now.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
My scale said linked & then a tick when connected.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
That's a shame! Now that my scale is working, I love it, but it should
not be so difficult to set it up. It sounds like you may actually have a
hardware problem.
Best Answer
0 Votes
It is very frustrating
I will keep trying

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
Comcast says it fitbit.... Fitbit says Comcast......3 days and 6-7 hours later I think it's resolved...

Get Outlook for Android
Best Answer
0 Votes
I had the same argument about Verizon v Fitbit. It's Fitbit, though
Verizon is terrible!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Good work @kathie659, been there done that. Frustration comes from forgetting it is wi-fi and those first handshakes to get established are a tad slower than you may be used to with full computing devices.  The trick is to be patient on the get go and wait for the Aria to finish its search before leaving the Aria Network to go back to you normal wifi network (pretty tempting to say "yes I'm connected" while Aria is searching and your computer and Aria still havent agreed on communication terms), key is to tap your foot a few times and ensure it is really done.  Other huge obstacle is missing the "disconnect any physical ethernet wires from your computer" before beginning the procedure - this is the only way to make sure your PC doesn't try to outsmart you and switch from the newly created "Aria Network" (ie ARRIS-xxx) to ethernet instead of your original wi-fi ntwk. If you hit "yes I'm connected" with an ethernet internet connection you have to start again and again until you uncover that physical connection is still there (oops) at the back of your computer 😉

Congrat's, the good news is you are done until you change out routers or rename your wi-fi network, trouble free after initializing, whew 🙂

Community Council Member

WmChapman | TX

Ionic, Versa, Blaze, Surge, Charge 2, 3 SE, AltaHR, Flex2, Ace, Aria, iPhoneXR "Every fitbit counts"

Be sure to visit Fitbit help if more help is needed.

Best Answer
0 Votes
So there were 2 issues:

1) Modem not originally 802.11b (Comcast remotely resolved this on day one - fitbit took 2 days to recognize change and resulted in fitbit vs comcast with each saying they had resolved my issue)

2) When modem was reconfigured - it added a network named xfinitywifi (I wasn't aware of this for 2 days) so when the aria asked if I wanted to connect to xfinity wifi? I said Yes (thinking I do have xfinity wifi) - by connecting to a network other than my home network - i couldn't sync.....this was made worse by my home network being removed from the listing of networks (again when modem was changed)

-----------------------------------------------------

Now whether this was a fitbit problem or not? I have Never experienced the hassle of connecting a device like I did with this one. Had I not been given the scale? I would have returned it.....so now the scale IS syncing with fitbit account, but NOW fitbit account stopped linking with the app that I was asked to test.....

This has been a ridiculously frustrating experience.....
Best Answer
0 Votes