Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria does not calculate body fat % correctly

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

There are many complaints on this site about body fat % which I concur with. My husband and I are about the same weight. When I weigh myself on his user my body fat % is 17% whereas on my user it is 38%. The converse is true for him ie 38% on my user, 17% on his. Conclusion aria does not measure bodyfat but uses an algorithm to calculate it

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

It is measurement plus algorithm.

To learn more, google "Bioelectrical impedance analysis".

Here is one quote, not guaranteeing its accuracy, from VeryWellFit:

" BIA measures the rate at which a painless low-level electrical current travels through your body. Based on that rate, a calculation is used to estimate fat-free mass. The device then uses other data such as your height, your gender, and weight measurements to determine your body fat percent."

So unless you and your husband are the same height, gender, and weight, you should get different results.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

It is measurement plus algorithm.

To learn more, google "Bioelectrical impedance analysis".

Here is one quote, not guaranteeing its accuracy, from VeryWellFit:

" BIA measures the rate at which a painless low-level electrical current travels through your body. Based on that rate, a calculation is used to estimate fat-free mass. The device then uses other data such as your height, your gender, and weight measurements to determine your body fat percent."

So unless you and your husband are the same height, gender, and weight, you should get different results.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

We are the same height and weight so it can only be gender.

If it measures fat free mass accurately you would expect more variance when we adopt each other's users but our body fat percentages are the same if we weigh ourselves on either mine as a woman (38%) or his (17%). Our individual fat free mass seems to make nearly no difference 

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes