Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria is unreliable in its weight measurements

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

It often takes several tries to get two measurements that are the same on my Aria scale. If I don't like what the scale says, I just step off and get back on for a new weight. Usually I get a lower reading if I step on with my left foot first. Now, I have had this scale for a year and if I weigh regularly, the general trend line is accurate. Over weeks, I generally know if I am losing or gaining weight. And I don't usually need to know exactly what I weigh. The scale response varies only by a couple of pounds. However, this is the most expensive scale I have ever bought and it fails at its most basic function, measuring weight accurately. I would not buy another one or recommend it to others for this reason.

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@ajlightsey This is actually expected behavior for the Aria. Many bathroom scales skew their measurements to prevent fluctuation, forcing consistency over accuracy. By contrast, the Aria provides a unique measure at each weighing, and doesn't "fake" its results to appear consistent. Because all scales of this design will vary slightly in their readings depending on the way you stand and other minor variables, this behavior represents the most accurate set of results.

Hopefully that explains why you're seeing those results. You can read more about this here.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
51 REPLIES 51

@ajlightsey This is actually expected behavior for the Aria. Many bathroom scales skew their measurements to prevent fluctuation, forcing consistency over accuracy. By contrast, the Aria provides a unique measure at each weighing, and doesn't "fake" its results to appear consistent. Because all scales of this design will vary slightly in their readings depending on the way you stand and other minor variables, this behavior represents the most accurate set of results.

Hopefully that explains why you're seeing those results. You can read more about this here.

Best Answer
As a scientist, I have a hard time accepting 5 different weights in less than a minute as reliable measurement, especially when your scale reports decimal point, implying precise measurement to that point. If your scale cannot reliably measure even to the pound, you should be open about this. By definition, measurements can be reliable but inaccurate, but they cannot be unreliable and accurate. This morning, I weighed both 151 pounds and 154 pounds. Are you suggesting that both weights are accurate? That's nonsensical.
Best Answer
I have got to agree with you ajlightsee for the cost of these scales you would expect some kind of consistency. Let's face it they are marketed as a premium product.
I have the same issue with the fluctuations especially when my arialto says my weight has fluctacted by 7lbs on the previous day but my tanita scales that I havery pulled out of storage says my weight is only fluctuating by 1lb.
Best Answer

Hey guys @MatthewFitbit @ajlightsey @SunsetRunner! In my experience, if your scale is properly set up and syncing, there may be an issue with the calibration on your scale, this misunderstanding doesn't know which weights needs to assign to your profile.

My recommendation is to verify your personal information and reassign the improperly assigned weights in your settings panel.

To do it, follow my steps:
1. Log in to your Fitbit.com dashboard.
2. Click the gear icon in the top-right corner of the page and then Click Settings.
3. Click Personal Settings and verify that your Gender, Height and Weight are correct. If you update these settings, be sure to scroll to the bottom of the page and click Update Profile.
4. Go to http://www.fitbit.com/settings/device/scale/ and click the Measurements tab.
5. Reassign any GUEST weights to your name in the People column.
6. Weigh yourself three times to verify that your Aria is now recognizing you. (that will fix the inaccurate weight)

Also, make sure that your scale is placed on a hard surface during use. Carpet, linoleum, or any other flooring with resilience may affect the accuracy of the Aria's readings. Oh! and don't wear socks that affect the accuracy too. 

Let me know how it goes, I hope this helps guys! Smiley Wink

Community Moderator Tarin | Community Moderator

If this post was helpful vote for it or accept it as a solution! Remember challenge yourself and become better than yourself. Share your story!

Best Answer

Hi everyone

I bought these scales a week ago. Have been dieting and upping activity for about 5 weeks. These scales fluctuate wildy for both myself and my hubby.  We have them on our bathroom floor which is vinyl planking over foam. They do vary when moving to downstairs stone kitchen floor and also hall laminate.  As I'd rather not weigh myself naked in the kitchen (!) - we use them in the bathroom.  Today hubby got out of the bath and found it read his body fat had reduced by over 15%!!  Baths all round? 😉

I am physically active 6 days a week - mainly kettlebell, elliptical, walking and treadmill and the scales aren't moving in the right direction.  Is it muscle mass I'm seeing increasing here?  How can you tell? Body fat is steadily decreasing (apparently) but I don't know what to believe with these things.  Starting to wonder if I should buy scales that calculate muscle and bone mass too.  Getting discouraged. Any advice please?  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Chockylove Thanks for joining us in this thread and our Fitbit Community! Seems odd that your body fat percentage readings are not accurate. Please try restarting your Aria scale by taking the batteries out for 15 seconds and put them back in. Once this has been done, weigh yourselves (you and your husband) 5 consecutive times each of you and see if the body fat readings get fixed for both of you.

Keep me posted on the outcome my friend! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ok, but here is my issue. Real Case Scenerio. Last Monday, I got on the Aria, and got 329.9. Tuesday,... Got 328.5,... Wednesday,... instead of stepping on and seeing numbers being calculated, the scale read, Thinking, then, Step off, and then told me 324.0. Then Thursday, 327.9. Friday, 327.4. Saturday, 326.9. Sunday,... Thinking, Step off. 324.0. 

Is there a way to turn off the bull**ahem** weights. I'm not a little girl who gets motivated by a tremendous glob of bull**ahem** to make me feel good. I need real stats. I need a trackable, real path. The Fitbit has awakened a real fever for getting the weight off. Almost an obsession. It is frustrating, though, when my tech is not in the game. HELP!!!! Is there a way to disengage, "the bull**ahem** algorithm?"

Best Answer

@scmillard1967 It's great to have you aboard in our Fitbit Community! So sorry to hear that your Aria scale is not giving you consistent readings, I really understand your frustration. I would like you to try some workarounds that will help to fix this issue. Please take out the batteries for 15 seconds and put them back in. Once this has been done, weigh yourself 5 consecutive times and see if the readings are consistent and accurate.

Let me know how it goes my friend! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Got Aria scales from a friend.

Do NOT recommend.

1. Often does not recognise me

2. trying it out again after a few weeks not using because was not any good. Weigh myself a few times over 30 minutes and gives different readings

3. Gives me 6% fat, wife 30% fat and know this is not true.

4. Slow

5. Unresponsive 

Best Answer

@GarethMorris Thank you for joining us in this thread and our Fitbit Community! I'm sorry to hear that your Aria scale has not worked properly lately and I appreciate your feedback. I'd like go help in order to turn that bad experience into a good experience.

If you haven't troubleshooted this issue before, please try the troubleshooting steps that I shared in my previous post. This workaround has helped other users in order to have this type of issues fixed.

Hope this helps you too! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

I also have issues with the inconsistency of the weight and body fat. I contacted customer support and she said that it's normal to fluctuate 1-2 pounds. Within 5 minutes?  I don't think so.  I am incredibly disappointed with this purchase.  For such an expensive scale, one would think that there would be some kind of accuracy

Best Answer

@Abigailm I understand your frustration about this and I appreciate your feedback and understanding since this helps us to keep improving.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JuanJoFitbit Is there any software update or anything like that in the works that could help troubleshoot the issue.

It doesn't make any sense to me that my weight fluctuates to as many as 3 pounds on each measurement.

Best Answer

The "little girl" metaphor was extra. 

Best Answer

Hello...

I was excited to weigh myself for the first time and saw 74+ kg... Then I weighed and it was 85, 86... Are you sure it is OK like this? My husband says that I should return it...

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Aria is positioned on a hard floor and I follow the use instructions to the letter.  We also have a set of medical scales that only measure weight and do not connect to anything, but they do measure weight very accurately.  I step from one to the other at the same time and wearing the same clothes (without socks). There is always a difference of about 2 lbs and the Aria always provides the higher measurement.  It is simply inaccurate.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, actually I first used it on a carpeted and very old and uneven floor, and it showed max 12 kg difference from place to place, but now I keep it on a solid bathroom floor and it seems to be stabilised... but I weigh much heavier than the first time on the carpeted floor... Never mind...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Got on today, and the body fat didn’t work, so I got on again, got a different measurement, so I got in again and again.  I was unable to to get a consistent weight or body fat.  

184.5   Na 

185.3  18.7

185.3  18.9

185.6  19.1

185.6. 19.5

i didn’t realize this was one of those carnival people who just guess your weight, I thought it was a scale.

Best Answer

This is the response I have gotten from Fitbit before, and it is flat out ridiculous. I am a scientist who knows a thing or two about measurement. Every measurement entails the true value and an error term, since no measurement is perfect. A good instrument, the scale in this instance, is both reliable and valid. Reliability means that you get the same measurement every time when the true value is unchanged. Validity means that the measurement is equal to or close to the true value. So, let's say that a person weighs 150 pounds and steps on the scale 3 times. Both measurements of 150, 150, and 150 and measurements of 160, 160, and 160 would be reliable, because they are consistent, but only the first set are valid, because they reflect the true value. 

But what if I step on the scale three times in three minutes and get 150, 153, and 149? Then the scale is not even reliable, which is a prerequisite to being valid. The 4 pound difference is not in the true value, because my weight did not change in those 3 minutes. The difference is all in the error term. The plain English version: that scale makes a lot of mistakes!

The Aria scale is not "sensitive" or "honest," it makes a lot of mistakes. Irrelevant variables, like which foot I step on it with first, influence its measurement of my weight. It is a bad scale. 

Best Answer