Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria not connecting to my Comcast router

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Aria design issue

My aria scale is dropping wifi. Fitbit customer service says that it is a Comcast wifi problem. At my house we have 4 laptops, 2 printers and aria using the IEEE 802.11b 2.4 G. The aria scale is the ONLY one dropping off of wifi. Comcast sent a tech to my house - all equipment is working fine. FITBIT is saying that it is Comcast issue but Comcast is asking me do I have issues with other devices. There are none. FITBIT solution is for me to go to Comcast router WEB and reset IEEE 802.11b off of it's setting and reset back. This does works for one day. Then the aria drops wifi.

I believe the scale has a design issue and the FITBIT should replace my defective produce with one the works or give me a refund. FITBIT said I can purchase aria 2 (which I think does not have the issue) from them and get free shipping. I believe that the scale has a design issue and Fitbit would replace my produce or refund my money.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
112 REPLIES 112
Not to my knowledge.Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S9+, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable smartphone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I doubt it. Either your router supports 802.11b, in which case you may need to actively enable that in the router settings, or it doesn't, in which case your easiest solution is to connect another router/bridge that does have 802.11b to your Comcast router. (I did that myself today and it worked fine). Note that Fitbit likely cannot fix the problem. The Aria doesn't have a field firmware upgrade to my knowledge, and it's possible the hardware doesn't support other Wi-Fi protocols, which your router does.

There is one other solution that I haven't seen in the thread, which I highly recommend exploring: Comcast will let you "bring you own modem". You should be able to buy a cheap modem online (a used one on eBay will do just fine) based on a list of compatible modems on the Xfinity website. I think that is by regulation and I did that for my previous Xfinity service. The modem can be with or without a wireless router, if without them you need a separate router as well. If bringing you own modem, you also save on the modem rental fees that Comcast usually charges (around $10/month). The only downside is you need to know how to configure the router (the modem is usually very straightforward - plug and play).

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks. Your steps to change xfinity WiFi settings worked for me. I get it now. The aria uses an older -b WiFi protocol. Not sure why Comcast would have mass updated to remove that -b. I’m guessing not too many devices use it anymore.

Where is the fix?

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

Huck77:

i have the same exact problem. I have an Aria which was a gift to me from several years ago. Always used it as a scale but never tried to sync it until the last month. I also use Comcast in the home with a Gateway modelXB6 router using 802.11AC spectrum.  I was able to get the Aria to be recognized by Wifi for one day only over a month ago. After hours of following the setup procedure, I have not been able to get Aria to be recognized. All other devices devices in my home  (printer, 2 computers, multiple phones and TV's)  are quickly Wifi identified & connected with Comcast.  I thought maybe the 802.11AC spectrum might be the issue, but researching, I understood that it is backward compatible with any devices using 802.11 b/g/n - should work and indeed it did work for one day only.    Very frustrating, and I am inclined to believe the Aria by design is just not going to reliably work with newer routers.  I will watch for any possible solutions offered here, but my guess is I will have to get a newer Aria2 in order for the tracking to sync with Fitbit.... very disapointed with this !

Best Answer

After 3 hours of trying everything to get the scale to reconnect yesterday and I don’t know maybe 20 failed setups that resulted in WiFi err. Even though my xfinity gateway router 2.4 network was correctly still set for 8.11bgn I changed it to 8.11gn saved and then back to 8.11bgn and saved. I also deleted the fitbit app and removed the user from the scale from the main Fitbit dashboard. After doing all that and putting the scale directly in front of the router it connected. I don’t expect it to stay connected. And I don’t like spending this much time at this. Fitbit should have done the right thing and released some type of update that would fix this. Their scales rely on the home WiFi network. And Fitbit does not keep up with what giants like Comcast/Xfinity change that completely stop the aria from connecting??? Considering the Aria technology is so completely ancient there should be disclaimers on these scales. It does not sound like the newer scales are much better. It’s  hard to buy anything from Fitbit considering all this. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

This problem has been going on for me for well over 6 months.  The fact that Fitbit has known about this problem since 2018 and has done NOTHING to fix this is beyond frustrating.  I've asked to replace my current Aria scale and they say that they don't give out replacements.  I could understand this policy if it weren't for the fact the Aria scale has now turned into a brick.  They've known about this problem for over 2 years and you mean to tell me there is nothing that FitBit can do to fix this problem?  I call BULLS*IT!  I will never purchase another Fitbit product again.  I will scream at the top of my lungs to deter anyone from buying another Fitbit product.  This is the worst customer service regarding the Aria scale.

Update, filled out a complaint form with the Better Business Bureau.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
Yes, that’s a good idea. I’ve actually given up trying to fix it. My actual
fitness tracker no longer works too.
Best Answer

I found a work around to get my Aria scale to work with Xfinity modem.  This won't help everyone but in case it does, you're welcome.  I have an Apple Time Capsule that doubles has a wireless router.  With the help of IT at Xfinity, they turned off the wireless function with their modem allowing me to use my Time Capsule to connect wirelessly.  I then synced up my Aria scale on the first try.  My scale is now running like it used to.  Obviously people go out and buy a Time Capsule but maybe there is a wireless router you can buy that is cheap that will run the settings needed for the Aria scale.  That being said, I did fill out a complaint form for the Better Business Bureau. It's absolutely ridiculous that Fitbit has no fix for this problem.  A problem that has been ongoing for over 2 years.  I've been communicating with Fitbit via Twitter private message.  See below for their pitiful response.  When my Fitbit Charge 2 and Aria scale dies, I WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER Fitbit product.  This company is dead to me and I will badmouth their company to everyone I know.  

Here is Fitbits sorry excuse for an apology and a slap in the face that they won't fix their product.  Basically everyone has a 3 pound paperweight.  Enjoy.  

We appreciate all your efforts in this, Brian. Apologies for the inconvenience and we appreciate your feedback. Definitely not what we expect. Please note that we're always working to improve our products and services. However, we are unable to provide replacement but our team is doing our best to fix the concern. We'll surely take note of this. Thanks for understanding. If you have further questions, feel free to ask.

Best Answer

i spent a few hours and my scale still not connected. 😤

Best Answer

3 years later…. Where is the fix?

Best Answer

I was thinking the same thing recently. All these people wasting time over the years trying to get the scale to join WiFi. Crazy.

Let the buyer beware. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Never got any support from Fitbit on this product. I concluded it is an older product with baked-in technology that is no longer compatible with newer routers. I gave the scale away and have moved on.
Best Answer

I did the same thing.  I will not buy another scale from Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes