Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria scale says I am a Guest

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My Aria scale keeps registering me as a guest.

I have gone on the website and assigned those measurements to myself with several weigh ins. The issue persists. I did every step from your help article at https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/Why-is-my-scale-recognizing-me-as-a-guest

I asked FitbitSupport on twitter for what to do. They directed me to other support channels at https://twitter.com/FitbitSupport/status/671125370855292928 where I got the contact number.

Now I am on hold for Fitbit to answer. It has been over an hour and 45 minutes. While I wait, can anybody help me fix this issue with my Aria scale, please?

Holding for Fitbit support.Holding for Fitbit support.

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer
178 REPLIES 178

Hi Juan - have done so and still no luck :(. Doesnt even give me the option of selecting a guest or different user - just assumes it is my husband and I have to reassign in the ap.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Kmas1 Thank you for getting back! Please make sure that your Aria is placed on an even or flat surface and you are stepping on it barefoot. If these details are already covered, there is one more detail that I would like to know: After re-calibrating your scale by weighing in yourself 5 consecutive times, did you re-assign those weigh ins manually? If so, did the issue persist on the latest readings?

Looking forward to your response! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer

I have reset and weighted myself 5+ times to recalibrate the scale with no luck. My husband is 6kgs heavier than me - I don't understand why the scale is confused! 

Since then i have set up the scale from my Fitbit account and invited my husband as a user. Well now it reads me just fine but thinks that he us me now.   I have no confidence in this scale to ever get it right.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I know the feeling. I constantly have to take the batteries out and
recalibrate. I have spent hours on the phone to support. It just isn’t
worth the effort. Now I just use other scales and enter weights manually
when it thinks I am a guest.

Moderator edit: removed personal info

Best Answer
0 Votes

I finally got it to recognize me (yeah, it's been 3 years now since it last did) yesterday.  I got weighed 5 times, then changed Guest to my initials.  Then tried again, and it still did Guest, but then on the 2nd or 3rd try it got my initials, and then continued to.  I was so excited and ready to start using it for real today.  And then it wouldn't sync.  I got weighed like 10 times over the course of a half hour, and got the sync error each time.  Figures.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Kmas1 @kjuliff Thank you for troubleshooting this issue. I want to follow up on this issue and would like to know if the issue got resolved or if it persists.

@ameetee Thank you for joining us in this thread! Since your Aria is now unable to sync and shows an error, please provide me with more details of the error message that appears when your Aria tries to sync. Also, let me know if you have made changes to your network recently (router, router settings or WiFi password). This info will help me to assist you accordingly.

See you later guys! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

What about those that the scale is already on a hard wood floor?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@jsiepka It's great to see new faces in the Fitbit Community. Welcome! I'm sorry to hear that your Aria scale is not recognizing your user even though it's already placed on a hard surface. Please try restarting and re-calibrating your scale by taking out the batteries for 15 seconds and put them back in. After this, weigh yourself 5 times in a row and let me know if your Aria syncs your weigh ins properly.

Keep me posted! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

I did all these things and it started.showing my husband as a guest. But we just let it be for a while (out of frustration really) and one magical day it started recognizing him! Hooray. I am also pleased to say that after i have since dropped nearly 15 lbs the scale still recognizes me :).

Problem solved!

Best Answer

@Kmas1 I'm so glad to hear that your Aria scale is recognizing your users again. Thank you for posting the update here. Congratulations for your achievements also, I'm glad to hear also that you are reaching your goals.

I'd like to invite you to visit our Discussions board where you can share your experiences, meet people and create new topics.

Hope to see you in our Fitbit Community more often! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Any chance FitBit will formally update the help article that addresses this?  Really shouldn't need to read through seven pages to get an answer that still doesn't work.

Here's how I got my version 39 to work.  

1. Deleted every single record stored on FitBit for the scale.
  2. (Ignore the weigh yourself 3, 5, or how ever many times.)
  3. Stand on scale near a table, put a finger on the table and apply pressure to change your weight a few pounds.  You should now be recognized.
  4. Stop weighing yourself for a few days.  Lose the weight to match what you got with finger pressure.
  5. Stand on scale, you should now be recognized.

By the way, mine went out of sync when a small toy went under the scale.  It "recognized" me as having lost 10 pounds.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner Welcome to our Fitbit Community! Thank you so much for sharing the workaround that you followed in order to get the version of the scale to work.

Thank you also for sharing your feedback about the help article since this helps us to keep improving.

I would like to follow up and would like to know if your scale is working properly.

Looking forward to your response! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JuanJoFitbit  Started working the second day.  I decided to skip the next day.  My weight has even fluctuated back and forth and it still calls me by my name.  I did delete every other entry and my wife uses it daily.  So this resolution may not work if you are the only one using the scale.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I wanted to update this with my experience with a new scale I received over the holidays. This time I'm working with the Aria2 and it did not recognize me from day one. Keep in mind this is a brand new scale and nobody else is registered to it except me. There were currently zero measurements when I first used it and it still showed me as guest. I've been through every help article on this site and run through every process and it took the scale a great deal more than just 5 weigh in's to register me. I also noted that it wasn't until I started doing a once a day weigh in that the new scale finally started to register me but not till after about me assigning 10 different weigh-in's from 10 different days.  It seems to me that the programming logic that determines who is what weight has a flaw.  So this is what I learned and I hope that maybe it will help someone else.

Stepping on a scale to change weigh in's doesn't work. Simply put, stepping on a scale (ie. tapping an area with your foot) in any location on the scale won't change who the weight is assigned to. I've followed every suggestion and idea regarding this and it never works on either the Aria 1 or Aria 2.  The Aria2 is even more confusing because it appears to assign you an icon instead of initials. (It's possible that it does work but any description of the process or how it's done hasn't worked for me)

It appears to be more successful in identifying different people if you only add one person at a time and wait for the scale to recognize each person in turn.  I also think that waiting at least 5min between people using the scale may also help.

The problem, is with FitBit. The algorithm they are using to separate people's weights out isn't doing it's job and here's why. (examples based on real people and approximate weight.)

Aria1

Mom 120

Dad 135

Me 280

The scale was correctly identifying all three of us. Then one day it just stopped understanding who I was. It kept showing me as guest. At this point I had almost a full year of weigh ins assigned to the scale.  Yes, I followed ALL the help articles and did ALL the steps. I then began assigning the weights to myself and still no joy. So I removed myself from the scale, cleared all weight from my account and started from scratch. The Aria1, to this day, still has no idea who I am.

Aria 2

I'm the only one.

Me: 160 (I lost weight. yay me)

The scale identified me as guest for over 10 consecutive weigh in's.

So.. if the scale sees this:

weight: 150

weight 120

weight 130

and it can see that the past 5 weights for each person and should be able to compare values to see which value is most likely to match the current weight value.  What we need is for one of the programmers to explain to us how these scales decide who's weight goes with who. I just don't see how it should have an issue when the weight values are spaced further apart but no problem when they are much closer together.

Anyone, that's my $1.25 (*sigh* - inflation. *grin*)

[NB: It did start working briefly then stopped again as I noted in an earlier post]

Best Answer

Mine has always been on a hard floor, and the issue only started recently.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MammaG I'm sorry for the late response. However, I'm sorry to hear that your Aria scale is recognizing your user as "Guest", even though you've made sure that your scale is placed on a hard surface.

I'd like you to try the following troubleshooting steps if you haven't tried them: Please restart and re-calibrate your Aria by taking out the batteries for 15 seconds and put them back in. Once this has been done, weigh yourself 5 consecutive times and see if your scale recognizes your user again.

As a side note, please let me know if more users use your scale.

Keep me posted! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes
Wrote that like 5 years ago. I also wrote the fix....

Darrel

--
LargePrefPlaceholder-XKUz1MEJBwkOM
Best Answer
0 Votes

Actually your post on 01-11-2016 09:58 was

"After you change "guest" to your initials. Pull battery. Reinsert ....now it works"

I have tried your fix, recalibrated per the instructions, pulled the battery, weighed myself 5 times, always on a hardwood floor, and I'm the only person using the scale and it still comes up a Guest.

At this point I think I'll start facing North instead of West and see if that helps.

Best Answer
Did you add your initials in the fitbit app? Delete all entries, after
removing batteries, then open fitbit app. Step on scale once. It will say
guest. Change guest in the app to your initials.

Been a long time since i did it. I am just a guy that bought the scale...lol

If that doesn't work face North

--
LargePrefPlaceholder-XKUz1MEJBwkOM
Best Answer
0 Votes

My initials were set in the app when I initially setup the scale. The initials were set when I recalibrated.

It seems like the more I fight with it the more it says I'm a guest so I just assign the weigh-in to myself in the app. It will run for weeks ok then seems to act up. Again assigning the weigh-ins to myself seems to get it working for a little bit.

Thank you for your help as your advice helped out a lot more than facing North. 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes