Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria scale stopped working

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi. Recently my Aria scales have stopped working. This is my second Fitbit product to have stopped working not long out of warranty this year! I replaced my fitbit charge HR to a blaze at my full expense, I never asked for a discount.
However, I have been emailing back and forth to see if some assistance can be provided to help me with a new set of scales. I understand my device is out of warranty but it doesn't seem unreasonable when spending hundreds of $s at a time that these products work for at least a few years, especially when there is no option to repair them! I have found many examples in online forums of not only discounts being provided but in some cases full replacements provided for free when devices out of warranty have stopped. I have now spent a lot of money replacing a product that I would not have done had I realised yet another would stop working so quickly too. Just waiting for the husband's Fitbit to complete the trifecta. Where is the customer service!

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
53 REPLIES 53

It worked thank you!

Best Answer
0 Votes

What I found with my scale anyway was that the battery negative side with the spring needed to be seated after having come loose from making contact with the metal in the battery compartment.  I basically slid the last coil I've said spring in between the plastic and the metal contacts if that makes any sense.  As soon as I did that the scale came back to life... At least for now.  My opinion is Fitbit hardware doesn't have a really good QA process. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you. I will watch out for that. Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Ma Aria scale has failed as well. I was searching forums to see if there was a tech solution that had not yet been tried. I see now that the only place for this is in the trash. I also was not offered any sort of discount or incentive to purchase a new set of scales. I am disappointed enough and have seen enough like posts that I will file a BBB complaint.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I cleaned the battery connections with a cotton wool bud and the scales are working now.Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Mine do work now that I have cleaned the battery terminals. Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

I tried all the cleaning that people have suggested. They ended up a very expensive paperweight! I went out and bought a set of body fat scales from Kmart (around $30 from memory), and they are still kicking on strong and have lasted already twice as long as my expensive Fitbit scales did. All I do is manually enter my data into my Fitbit ap and problem solved. If I had been offered some sort of discount I would have bought Fitbit scales again, but I’ll stick with what works for longer!

Best Answer

My aria stopped working as well.

I did clean the terminals. I do think it is a batter contact issue. The plastic around the batteries is thin and seems to be fatiguing and perhaps the contacts are not held in place.  I put a little wedge in there to see if i could make the contacts happen.  I think it is just a design flaw. I did have it almost 5 years.  They told me it is out of warranty.  IF they offered me a discount on another scale, maybe i would have got a later model.  At this point, i don’t want to spend $129 on a scale that brakes.  Maybe buy a mechanical that will last more than a few years. Disappointed.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I posted to Aria that my scale stopped syncing after about a year! The scale itself strung works! I won’t purchase another! The fit bits stopped working after few months! My original fit bit then the Charge ( I bought 2 of them)! Finally have one that works pretty well so far! New scale is out of the question!

Best Answer

Thank you for letting me know. I am on my 4th Fitbit all sent free of charge when each one stopped working after a few months. I cannot complain about the service - just the product.As to the scales, since I cleaned the battery contact points they have worked fine.Thank you for your response. LyndaSent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Thank you for letting me know. I doubt whether I would buy another set next time.Lynda Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I gave up on Aria. It got to the point that I had to manually take out the batteries except when I was taking my weight. That went on for a few months until I finally just got an ERR message. Likely due to cheap wiring. Aria is a pretty cheaply made product yet sells for about twice that of it’s competitors. I finally switched to Withings. More features, more accurate, less quality complaints on line and about half the price of an Aria. Fitbit wouldn’t even offer a discount to a new product for an existing customer. My sense is they are trying to get out of the scale product line. I would never buy another or recommend an aria to anyone.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
I did all of those things as well and got the same blah blah blah as you
did when I called. I also would have bought the admittedly upgraded and
improved model had they met me part way. I liked that it synced auto to the
app. I ended up buying cheaper, but better reporting out on bmi and water
etc. , and I log weight myself.
Best Answer
0 Votes
That's helpful. Thank you for letting me know. Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
Best Answer
0 Votes

For what it's worth, I've had my Fitbit Aria scale since summer 2014. I got the sensing loop last month, and sometime in the past week or two it just died. I changed batteries this morning and nothing changed. 

I tried the dry q-tip across the contacts, and it started working again. 

Not too bad to have it still working after almost six years. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for letting me know 😊Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
Best Answer
0 Votes

This is exactly what my scale is doing! So frustrating .  My daughter has a cheap weight watcher scale for years!!! Not right that they don’t stand behind their product 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just noticed your post. My scale stopped working, and my husband put in new batteries. Still nothing.  Then he cleaned the spring coils with a little sand paper, and it works great!  Good detective work. 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes
Glad it worked I did the coil clean monthly for about 6 months before it finally crashed. I moved to a withings scale. It syncs with Fitbit app. It had more measures than aria, is more reliable than aria, is more accurate than aria and costs much less than aria. Hope you get some additional life out of your aria.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Tried all that. Had connection but would not sync. Thanks for suggestion.!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you so much! I will try that!

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I agree that the costs of scales and the technical issue with the current support is not worth it.  My Aria scale stopped working when I changed my internet due to COVID.  Meaning had to upgrade internet to be able to work and the scale is the only device in the house that I experienced issues with the change of internet.  Disappointed with the Fitbit troubleshooting and unsatisfied that there is no urgency to correct the issue as I read the date of these posts.  While I would be interested in continuing with Fitbit products, if the company can not provide reasonable customer service options to support their devices, I will not continue to purchase the products.

Best Answer
0 Votes