Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria shows a Sensing Thinking ERR message

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My aria is driving me insane. When j stand on it, comes up with sensing step senceing step sensing step and goes between these two for as long as you to stand there. I have changed the batteries. So what do I do?

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer
0 Votes
61 REPLIES 61

wish i could help.   just spent 2 hours trying to work on mine, batteries removed multiple times, repeated setup etc.   then spent 20 mins with customer service on the phone repeating the steps multiple times.   if the product is outside warrant (12 months) they only offer for you to purchase a new one.   good luck! 

c

Best Answer

Seems Fitbit wants us all to buy Aria 2 and decided to mess up our current scales. Mine had sudden issues after changing batteries too. 

"Last time it recorded weight was on Feb 24, 2018. 

Maybe with others we can find a pattern of when their scales stopped working."

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer

@Sary89 Thanks for participating in our Fitbit Community! I'm sorry to hear that your Aria scale shows a "Sensing Thinking ERR" message. Thank you for taking the time to troubleshoot this issue by restarting your Aria. Please make sure that your Aria is placed on an even or flat surface. Also, re-calibrate your scale by weighing yourself 5 times in a row and let me know if this corrects the issue.

@greg_h I'm sorry to hear that your Aria showed the same error message and I'm also sorry that it's no longer under warranty. The warranty is good for 365 days after the date of setup. Please check out this page for more information about the warranty policies.

@gmatrix I totally understand your frustration about the issue you are experiencing with your Aria scale. Let me follow up on your case and find a solution for you. Please provide more details about the issues you are experiencing with your Aria and I would like to know if you have tried some troubleshooting steps.

See you later guys! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, there is a specific problem that occurs when changing the batteries. Other threads have similar complaints. In my case, I was receiving fitbit.com emails that my batteries were low. This went on for about a month all-the-while the scale continued to record my weight. The day I changed the batteries, it started the "Step Off, Thinking, ERR" messages. It has not recovered since despite multiple attempts at removing the batteries and waiting 10+ seconds.

My Aria continues to talk to fitbit.com. I can see on my dashboard that it checks in and reports the battery level.

Frankly, it's garbage that the response as this is "out of warranty" when a simple act of changing the batteries renders your Aria inoperable. Too many instances of this to too many people for it not to be a real, Fitbit-(the company)-induced problem. The term "planned obsolescence" comes to mind.

Best Answer

I have a similar, if not the same, issue. My Aria was cycling between "Sensing" and "Thinking" continuously until it burned out the batteries. I replaced the batteries. It automagically reconnected to my WiFi. Now, when I step on it, it says "Hi . . . Sensing . . . Step Off". When I step off, it says "Thinking" for a moment and then switches to "Err". 3 days in a row.

Best Answer

I could handle planned obsolescence if it was transparent.  FitBit is in business to make money and has to stay competitive in the market place.   My ask would be simply state, as of X date we will no longer support ARIA, firmware updates etc vs. blaming it on the consumer.  

Best Answer

Having this same error out of the blue today after changing my wifi network. I searched the web for any fixes, tried all the reboot solutions presented. Nothing worked.

I called their support, and the pleasant but completely unhelpful script-reading tech did the following:

1. What is your account name?
  2. What is the error?
  3. Did you try turning it off and on again?
  4. We're sorry that means it is broken beyond repair and you will need to buy a new one, BYE NOW THANKS

That's unacceptable to me. This is now an expensive piece of garbage. This kind of planned obsolescence is ridiculous, and that response has ensured I will be leaving the Fitbit ecosystem as soon as my last tracker device finally kicks the bucket (and at the rate that they do, I'm expecting it to be soon).

Best Answer

it's just not plausible that all of us decided to break our scales at the same time.  we're using them as bathroom scales, not frisbees. 

Best Answer

I agree. If Fitbit expects us to spend another $100 - $125 every year for another Aria, then they should sell it as a service, not a product.

Best Answer

@doktorstick @FlussHund I really understand how you feel about this and since the issue persists, even though you have troubleshooted this issue accordingly, I'll forward your case to our Support team so they can investigate further and follow up. You should receive an email from them soon.

@greg_h It's great to see you here and welcome to the Fitbit forums @nonplayer! I totally understand your frustration and I really appreciate your feedback about this. The warranty period is good for 365 days. Your feedback will be sent to our team since this helps us to keep improving.

For more information about the warranty policies, please visit this page.

Let me know if you have any doubts!

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine also does this, only since updating my wifi - wish I'd left it! At least it worked as a scale before, now its useless!!  

Best Answer

My scales have done exactly the same, again after a battery change and also on version 39.  I will not be buying any further Fitbit products due to the expense and the lack of caring customer support.  Basically a £120 pair of scales that only last 2 years is not satisfactory!  My mothers scale still work and she purchased them 25 years ago! 

Best Answer

Mine does the same when my dog lays down near the scale - he will brush up against it - and it goes into that sensing-step-sensing-step cycle for hours.  (I will find it doing this in the middle of the night.)

This is clearly a bug in the firmware - but there is no way to report it.

Best Answer

I have myself a serious doubt about your sincerity. How is it possible that we are so many Fitbit clients facing the same problem and what are you doing about, please explain us and be transparent.

As being said we are not playing Freesbee with our Aria Scales.

Do Fitbit ever think about our mother planet, not even a small suggestion on recycling our two years (and few days) old product that looks like new but does not work and can't be repair as per your statements ?

It's a shame. I will unfortunately never buy again Fitbit products and advise people around me to do the same. On top of it I got two of them.

Best Answer

Welp, one more company I have ceased supporting. My aria is nothing but a paperweight now.

Best Answer
You too you’ve been playing frisbee in the bathroom with your Aria ?

Worldwide how many are we having been stolen from Fitbit, how much money does this represent ? Shouldn’t we join our forces to fight these gangsters.

StefisAlive
Best Answer

Hi i have tried multiple ways to get it to work and still having no luck. Yes itss on flat ground. 

Also it has take long enough to get a responce

Cheers

Best Answer

Mine has been doing the same and I didn't change the batteries or the WiFi. 

Really frustrating that this is happening to everyone. I'm looking at buying another brand of scales that is compatible with the fitbit app after reading all of this. Come on fitbit, sort it out! 

Best Answer

Same issue here. Not able to connect to new wifi. After sensing it says ERR. Still waiting for service to send me an email with instructions how to solve this as she promised on the phone...

Best Answer