Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria shows a "BF?"

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Anyone have trouble with aria bf measure? I got it new 2 days ago and on the screen it shows my weight and then "bf?" . It seems to show it on my dashboard...but aren't sure if its accurate because the scales show a ?...any help?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
44 REPLIES 44

@skirmisherI moved your post into the Aria board as it will receive more visibility which in turn will generate more responses here.

In order for your Aria to present you with a body fat percentage reading during measurement, I recommend weighing yourself bare foot. In order to take a body fat percentage measurement the Aria scale sends a light, electrical impulse which travels up your body and back down into the scale to provide the body fat percentage. Hope this helps! Robot Very Happy

Erick | Community Moderator

It's all about the food! What's Cooking?

Best Answer

Hey there @skirmisherHope you're doing well, and enjoying some healthy activities! I noticed that @ErickFitbit has offered a few suggestions to help resolve your issue with your body fat measurement.  Was that the information you were looking for? If so, I invite you to mark @ErickFitbit's post as the solution. Marking posts as solutions is a great way of thanking another community member while also highlighting their solution so that it may be discovered more easily by other community member's facing the same questions or issues as you. You can read more about Accepted Solutions here.

If this didn't resolve your question, or you're still unclear on this, let us know and we'll be happy to work through it with you.

Lucy | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you like my answer? Vote for it!

Best Answer
I have a personal trainer and am very muscular. I'm only 25 pounds overweight, yet my Aria says I have 40% body fat! That makes no sense. What's going on?
Best Answer

@rbeckley Thanks for joining us and welcome to our Fitbit Community! Seems odd that your Aria scale is not showing your body fat percentage accurately. I recommend taking the batteries out for 15 seconds and then weigh yourself 5 consecutive times. Once this has been done, check out if your Aria gives you accurate readings of your body fat.

Keep me posted on the outcome my friend and I'll be around! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes

I noticed my Aria gave really odd results when I had it in the bathroom. Perhaps the humidity messes with the sensor. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@craysen It's great to see you in the Community! The humidity shouldn't affect the accuracy of your Aria scale. However, I believe that it needs to be re-calibrated. Please follow the steps that I shared above. Weigh yourself 5 times after taking the batteries out for 15 seconds.

The accuracy should get corrected. If it doesn'nt, please get in touch with our Support team so they can review your case and assist you accordingly.

Let me know how it goes my friend! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am weighing myself barefoot but it is not showing me my body fat.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@AlexC90 It's awesome to have you aboard! Have you tried taken out the batteries out for 15 seconds and put them back in? This is recommended in order to refresh your scale. After this, weigh yourself a few times, and the scale should re-calibrate and show your body fat percentage.

Hope this helps my friend! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have tried this yes. The body fat has never worked since buying the scales. I also tried changing the settings from regular to lean and weighing myself 5 times in a row and then changing it back. Again this has not worked.

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes

@AlexC90 Thanks for getting back! Since you have already tried the troubleshooting steps and the issue persists, my best advice is to get in touch with our Support team. They'll be reviewing your case and provide the best solution for you.

Catch ya later my friend! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

I measure barefoot but it still reads bf?

Best Answer

@Lyn58 Thanks for participating in our Fitbit Community! Thanks for troubleshooting this issue prior getting in contact with our Community. Besides weighing yourself barefooted, have you tried restarting your Aria by taking out the batteries and putting them back in? Also, is your scale placed on an even or flat surface? This info will help me to assist you accordingly.

Looking forward to your response my friend! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Lucy, 

I've got a question for you. I recently got the aria scale white with the white cover. Why will bf not calculate while the cover is on?  It does calculate on a "naked" scale. What gives? Did I waste money on a cover if I'm not going to be able to get bf readings with it on? 

BigDaddyMatt

Best Answer
0 Votes

@BigDaddyMatt Thanks for joining us in this thread and our Fitbit Community! So sorry to hear that your Aria scale only tracks your body fat percentage when the batteries' cover is removed. As advised in my previous post, please take out all the batteries for 15 seconds, put them back in and place the cover on again. After this, weigh yourself 5 times in a row. Make sure that you are standing on the scale barefooted and check out if your Aria tracks your body fat percentage properly.

Also, make sure that the cover is placed correctly and check if the cover springs are not broken.

Keep  me posted on the outcome my friend! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
Maybe what I wrote was not clear. I have a silicone cover for the surface. To protect from scratches and other things. The mat prevents the readings. Has nothing to do with the battery cover. 

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S®6 active, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone
Best Answer
0 Votes

@BigDaddyMatt Thanks for getting back and clarifying how the cover is and what it's for. If you use the cover when you weight yourself, you won't be able to get body fat percentage since the scale uses bio-impedance to measure your body fat percentage. If you put on the cover, it's like you were wearing socks and the body fat won't appear since the scale needs to sense your bare feet in order to measure your body fat percentage properly.

You can definitely put on the cover after you weigh in in order to keep protecting the scale.

Let me know if more questions arise my friend! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same issues with my aria scale, it gives me my wt and says BF?

Best Answer

@DrLucien I noticed that you just joined our Fitbit Community, welcome aboard! Regarding the issue that you are experiencing with your Aria scale, I would like you to make sure that your Aria scale is placed on an even or flat surface and you are weighing yourself barefooted.

If these details are covered, please restart your scale by taking out the 4 batteries for 15 seconds and put them back in. After this, weigh yourself 5 consecutive times and see if your body fat percentage is tracked properly.

I'll be around if more help is needed my friend! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Juan,

I also have the "BF?" appear on the display. This is after several years of the Aria working perfectly. I took the batteries out, waited more than 15 seconds, and put them back in. I also weighed myself 5 times per the earlier suggestions in this thread. The "BF?" still appears. 

Also, sometimes the display reads "Sensing" and "Step Off" when I weigh myself. It never used to do this. Was there a software/firmware upgrade that is impacting the Aria's performance?

The only change I can think of is that I now have the scale in the bathroom with a tile floor rather than a bedroom with a hard wood floor. The move was necessitated because of a new WiFi router location. The unit still connects to my network, but the Aria just doesn't perform the way it used to.

Best Answer
0 Votes