Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria shows a "BF?"

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Anyone have trouble with aria bf measure? I got it new 2 days ago and on the screen it shows my weight and then "bf?" . It seems to show it on my dashboard...but aren't sure if its accurate because the scales show a ?...any help?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
44 REPLIES 44

So Ive taken about the batteries a few times now and weighed myself so many times in succession, have even made sure my feet are damp but am still getting the BF?  It worked before but has only recently stopped measuring and started bringing up this message

Best Answer

Today, of course, the Aria reported body fat percentage. I made no other changes other than switching locations and the floor on which the scale was placed (from wood to ceramic tile). I did read in some other threads that storing the Aria vertically or upright will cause it to recalibrate on the next use. This might have also been an issue in my case and may explain why I kept seeing messages such as "Step Off" and "Thinking" that never before appeared. 

Best Answer

Like many others, my Aria stopped reading body fat measurements, and presented with the ‘BF?’ error, but after over-a-year of ownership with no issues. I was actually quite surprised to read how many other folks (rather, how many scales) were having the same issue.
FWIW: I tried cleaning the surface and relocating the scale to a different level surface but no dice. Eventually I just got fed up fighting and only now have I become passionate about resolving the error.

I read your post a few minutes ago and I realized:

I lived in an apartment, when the Aria was reading body fat measurements flawlessly, and I had a ritual of leaning the Aria scale upright against a sink or dresser (depending on if the scale was the bedroom and/or bathroom (to free up floor-space)) between uses.

The ‘BF?’ issue started *only after* moving into a place with a bit more space-where I didn’t maintain the habit of storing the scale vertically nearly as much. Every once in a while I’d get a reading, but not flawlessly like before.

Last fall after I moved into a new house (please bear with this story) and the scale had been packed and stored vertically for the move. The Aria read body fat measurements just fine after unpacking it- then started up with the BF? issue after a few weeks.

TL;DR

After drawing the association between the scale being stored vertically and the scale successfully reading body fat measurements:

• I picked up my Aria scale by the sides,
  • held it vertical for not even 10 seconds
  • shook it a few times
  • then reseated it onto the ground.

BOOM.

Read my body fat measurements on the first run.

Best Answer

Same issue here. Started recently. Going to get a new one after reset and see if issue persists. Not sure why it started clutching. Cheaper scale still working

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Nickrada Thank you for joining us in this thread and our Fitbit Community! I'm sorry to hear that your Aria scale is not showing or displaying your body fat percentage either. I would like to follow up and help you to find a solution for this. I would just like you to try cleaning the surface as @CreepyKid mentioned above. After this, make sure that your scale is placed on an even or flat surface and you are stepping on it barefoot.

Finally, re-calibrate your scale by weighing yourself 5 consecutive times and see if your body fat percentage appears again.

Let me know how it goes! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer

Ok I'm not completely bananas.  I've used my Aria for years with no issue.  Mid November I started having the BF? issue.  I changed batteries, locations in the unit followed company troubleshooting direction.   It worked once and the next day went back to the BF? reading.   Please advise if anyone has identified a long term solution.  Thank you in advance.  kp

Best Answer
0 Votes

@kp1clan Welcome to our Fitbit Community! I'm so glad to hear that your Aria scale is not providing body fat readings even though you have replaced the batteries. I would like you to make sure that your scale is placed on an eve or flat surface and you are standing on it barefoot.

Finally, re-calibrate your scale by weighing yourself 5 times in a row and see if the issue gets fixed.

Keep me posted on the outcome! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes
No solution for me. Was just going to buy caliper and use an over the
counter scale. Things buggy as hell
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @JuanJoFitbit,

While I appreciate the recognition, my post from ‎02-06-2018 distinctly says that cleaning the surface *did not* resolve the Aria's inability to read body fat measurements. Please reread the post. Thanks! 🙂

@kp1clan

During the first year of owning my Aria (first generation), I stored Aria scale leaning upright against a sink or dresser (to free up floor-space between uses).

The ‘BF?’ issue started *only after* moving into a new place and i broke the routine of storing the scale vertically between uses, so it constantly was flat.

Long story short, try this:

• Remove the batteries.
  • Hold the scale vertical ( like flat against your chest ) for 10 seconds, shake up and down a few times.
    • ...or lean it up against the wall or furniture for a few minutes.
  • Install the batteries.
  • Put the scale back onto the floor and try again.

I have no idea why this works, but it has been consistently restoring the body fat reading functionality to my Aria scale for 10 months now. Sometimes I can get away with just picking the scale up and shaking it a few times, only taking an extra 10 seconds out of my morning, so it's a longterm solution in my book.

Please let me know how it goes- I'm *really* curious if this will work for you.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Nickrada I'm sorry about the experience you've had with your Aria scale. I appreciate your feedback and comments since this helps us to keep improving.

@CreepyKid Since the issue persists even after trying all the recommended troubleshooting steps, I'll send your case to our Support team and they'll be happy to follow up. You will receive an email from them soon.

Let me know if you have any doubts!

Best Answer
0 Votes

It seems that besides the white injection molded parts cracking and breaking, the grey colored rings of rubber like material that keep the on/off weight sensing switches from contacting collapse over time. When they have collapsed, picking the scales up and shaking them releases the electrical contact and allows the scales to turn off properly before stepping on again turns them on.

My guess is that removing these connections completely and replacing them with an on/off switch would make an awful lot of these misbehaving arias work properly again.

It seems to be a case of ignoring the KISS principle. including the on/off sensor as a seperate switch in the same molding as the weight sensing strain gauge is just a step (sic) too far.   ..  and why are there two of them ?????

Best Answer

@Spiyda Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feedback in the Community. This info is being sent to our team.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Great work reverse engineering it!

Product isn't worth upgrading honestly. Better of just tracking your macros
via myPlate and gauging your intake max via bodybuilding.com
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Nickrada Your feedback is greatly appreciated since this helps us to keep improving.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same drama here.  We have had the Aria for about 18 months.  Worked fine, the last week it stopped calculating BF%.  

I have tried cleaning it, recalibrating it (remove battery, weighing 5 times in a short period of time) I even disconnected and reconnected to WIFI, just to rule that out.

help please.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Joe.b.collins Welcome to our Fitbit forums! I'm sorry about the body fat percentage issue that your Aria scale is experiencing. Thank you for troubleshooting this issue before contacting our forums.

Since the issue continues, I'll send your case to our Support team and they'll be happy to follow up and provide a solution. Please keep an eye on your email account.

Let me know if you have any doubts! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

In the same boat my Aria started 10 days ago to show BF?

tried the batteries out/leave upright/clean it 

weighed myself numerous times and still nothing 

I don’t think I’m still in warranty either how do I check is there a number somewhere on the unit I can use?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well, I was getting BF readings for a while, but now back to "BF?" again. I have removed the batteries, weighed myself 5 times, cleaned the scale surface glass, and tried it on both hardwood and ceramic tile surfaces. Still not getting BF readings. Can Fitbit do something about this? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

If your still in warranty they will replace, sadly I was not!!

offered me a free shipping voucher on buying a new scale from Fitbit 

politely advised they could keep it!

Best Answer

I also have this problem. Suddenly my scale wont give my body fat %

Says "BF?"

Best Answer
0 Votes