Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria shows a "SENSING, THINKING, ERR" message

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I purchased my Aria a few years ago and have not had any problems but when I moved a year ago I changed WIFI providers. Now I'm trying to connect the scale to my fitbit account. Once I thought I finally got it connected I tried to use the scale but the display shows "Setup Active", then I goes to "sensing, thinking, err".

I have removed a battery and waited 10 seconds numerous times and even tried pushing the small reset button but I can't get this scale to do anything but repeat the same message over and over.

What else am I missing?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
36 REPLIES 36
The Fitbit support group hasn’t been very helpful and seems to keep denying that there is an issue. I’m hopefully talking with someone who will do something but this is my third person so far and it’s been very frustrating. There CLEARLY is a design flaw.
Best Answer

I got this Aria last year as office health benefit ... instead of get the Apple Watch (first mistake). It always takes weight, but stopped uploaded about 7 months in. I changed to the fitbit 3 in January and tried to reconnect. I haven't been able to connect since. I've tried everything. It shows my weight but wont record it. I finally went in and erased the Aria in profile. Now can't add it back. I keep getting "Wifi Err". Ive tried Safari v Firefox, Mac v Iphone. No luck. What's the flippin deal with this thing?

npo such luck on my end. is the Aria 2 working?

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

Make sure that you report your issues to Fitbit support. I’ve had extensive conversations with support and then people further up the chain, and they suggest that the more people that report the issue the more it will be taken seriously. When the batteries wear out and need replacing, it seems to trigger the scale to stop calibrating. Be sure to report it to Fitbit support not because they’ll do something to help yo but just because they need to be aware that there’s a problem. I spent a lot of time  listening to support say that it was just a coincidence that it stopped working when I needed to replace the batteries.

I don’t think there is a solution, but perhaps the Fitbit team is at least going to realize that there is an issue

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer

I moved too and I’m have the exact same problem. Fitbit does not care. I did everything you did too. So they just tell me the warranty is up and now to buy a new one. I spoke to the supervisor at customer support and she told me I can’t even write a letter to the company because they don’t have an address, I wanted to talk to her supervisor and she said no one answers calls above her and they don’t have an email. This company is a **ahem**ing joke. 

Best Answer

No one would replace mine at all or even offer a discount code. 

Best Answer
I contacted the better business bureau and I got a response from fitbit pretty quickly after that because I think it’s not a coincidence that so many people are having the same problem with their scales.

Janice
Best Answer

Hi Janice

Could you let me know what the responses was?  I assume you are dealing with Fitbit in US or am I wrong.  I am located in the Netherlands. 

Best Answer

I was having the same issue minus the err message. Scale kept displaying Step Off message until I lifted it from the floor and turned it. The it gave me a reading. 

In my case, resetting it using a pin did solve the problem!

Cheers!

Best Answer

Same issue - contacting support now - wish me luck.

Best Answer
Good luck. Don’t let them try to tell you it’s just a coincidence!
Best Answer

Be nice. Good things happen 👍

34B80184-EF56-415D-88D5-D01012B3EB53.png

Best Answer

Contacted Fitbit twice and they are 'unaware' of this being a real issue.  I said it is all over your community forum pages.  They said that is just for the community.  I guess this is just a place for us to vent and they don't have to monitor.  They also assure me that there is no chance they would have replaced a scale that is out of their (one year) warranty.  So I guess Michael is just a lier.  because there is great reason for him to do so. 😞    Mary

This is a company that is creating scale that is being added to the landfills.

Best Answer

so glad.  was this in europe?   no luck here.  same compaints but no resolution other than offering me to purchase an new one. 

Yes! Janice, that would be great to know what the response was. 

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

4/6/2020 Unfortunately, I called support with the same problem Aria - SENSING, THINKING, ERR. Let me first identify myself as a very technical person being in IT for over 18 years holding several certifications. The problem isn't related to WIFI connectivity, because my router supports Aria scale requirements and was working perfectly before the error. Aria connectivity specs 2.4GHZ 802.11b standards B,G,N. I was able to reset the scale and complete the setup successfully a couple of times with no problem. 

After successfully completing the setup the next step is to step on the scale to get your weigh, you’re asked to step off ..then it says, thinking then ERR, it’s not even trying to communicate over WIFI its trying to get your weight that’s an internal function of the scale.

I called Fitbit a second time and after explaining everything I got an official answer that’s acceptable to me. The first call the rep was rude and said there is no escalation above him he must be Fitbit CEO really??

The problem is a sensor in the scale not able to calculate or determine your weight and they don't offer repairs so if you're out of warranty you have to buy a new one. I got rid of my Blaze because a feature wasn’t working as advertised, and now have a Samsung frontier excellent product and support is good so far better than Fitbit who wanted to sell me a new model smartwatch for features not working in the Blaze. To my knowledge Samsung don't have a scale but on amazon you can find scales doing the SAME as Fitbit Aria for around $29.00 or less. Fitbit scales carry a 1-year warranty so after one year if it has problems you are out of luck as with all their product. 

The scale below is 29.00 and works with Fitbit and Samsung APP hope this help you all out abandon ship!!

Smart app syncs with fitness apps. Over 3 million happy global users. Easy setup app syncs with Samsung Health, Fitbit, Apple Health, Google Fit, and offers App for Apple Watch.

https://www.amazon.com/RENPHO-Bluetooth-Bathroom-Composition-Smartphone/dp/B01N1UX8RW/ref=sr_1_1_ssp...

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you. I did end up putting my scale in the trash since it could not be fixed. It definitely was not worth the money.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Ok, mine have just done exactly this! The batteries ran out yesterday, I replaced them, and no I am getting Sensing Thinking Err! I have been speaking to Customer Services about this issue, and they failed to mention that it is a known issue. The person was helpful on the surface, and we tried a few different things. I was told that they would continue to look into the issue after our chat had ended and would be in contact by email. He didn’t lie. A couple of hours later, they kindly inform me that my warranty has ran out, but I could buy a brand new set of scales. So nice to invited to spend hundreds on something I already own! No explanation for the issue either. I have not asked for a replacement, I want the ones I have to do their job. They are capable of sensing the weight, but can’t display it on the screen? FitBit used to be so good, did someone else buy them out? Somethings happened, as this is appalling. Anyway, I have kindly declined the invite to spend my hard-earned cash, and informed them that I would like to know what the issue is and for a resolution. Awaiting a response, but won’t be holding my breath!

Best Answer
0 Votes
I completely understand your frustration as this was my experience. I REALLY hate that they won’t own up to the fact that it’s a known issue... recall the Aria and replace them free of charge. My Aria is now a piece of electronic waste in a dump. Not happy that I contributed to the electronic wasteland. I too will not be buying a replacement scale from Fitbit. So disappointing; no pride in their product... no responsibility... just “here’s the new model, buy it.”
Uh... no thanks!
Best Answer
0 Votes