Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria shows a "Sensing, Step OFF" message

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I bought the Aria close to 3 years ago and have never been super thrilled with the product as it has NEVER once measured BF for any of its synced users - one of the main points of getting this scale. I decided it was something I could live with since all other FITBIT users have apparently experienced the same issue. However, in the last 3-4 months it has kicked it up a knotch when it comes to not working. 

In that time frame it has gone thru countless sets of NEW batteries and thats because it NEVER TURNS OFF!!!! I can step on the scale and it will tell me 'syncing' for 1-2 minutes sometimes or more  and when it moves to the 'step off' line it just scrolls on repeat for an endless amount of time. This has caused the battery life to last all of a week!

Obviously - I have taken out the battery to reset the scale and that has worked for many users but not me. I would go thru the reset process prior to posting this but I am FRESH out of batteries.... 

At this point the scale is useless and will be replaced with a more reliable device if a solution cannot be found. EXTREMELY disappointing giving the price of this scale and the added benefit of it syncing to the FITBIT app,

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
42 REPLIES 42

@Alegrya It's great to see you in the Community! Thank you for taking the time to troubleshoot this issue before getting in touch with the Community. I'll send your case to our Customer Service department so they can follow up and assist you accordingly.

Let me know if you have any doubts! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have exactly the same problem, I received warning email about battery low on June 27, and received another one on July 12 even I replaced the battery since the first email. Now the battery is drained so it cannot be used at all.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I ended up getting rid of the Fitbit scale because it was costing so much in batteries.  I tried seeing if Fitbit could fix it or offer a discounted replacement but they would not.  Ended up buying a Weight Gurus scale online for $60 and have been really happy with it.  I have the Fitbit watch but will never buy another  Fitbit scale.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@cltien I'm sorry to hear that your Aria scale is showing the same error message after you replaced the batteries. Please make sure that your scale is placed on an even or flat surface and you are standing on the scale barefoot and still.

@kli317 I truly appreciate your feedback and comments. I'm sorry to hear that you decided to stop using the Aria and.I appreciate your feedback. This info will be sent to our team since this helps us to keep improving our products and services.

See you later guys!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Very dissatisfied. My scale is 2 years old and has the same problem. Will not turn off and drains batteries in a week. Customer service says the sensors failed and I need to buy a new one. I think I'll try another brand and also less expensive.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Trg53 Welcome to our Fitbit Community! I'm sorry to hear that your Aria stopped turning its display on and it's no longer under warranty. The warranty period is good for 365 days. Thank you for your comments and feedback about this.

Please visit this page for more information about the warranty policies.

Keep me posted if you have any questions!

Best Answer
0 Votes

My warranty was also expired (it is only 1 year), and I wasn't so lucky to receive a replacement scale at no cost. Mine scale is going into the trash. I have wasted too much money on new batteries. This is a purchase I will not be repeating. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@mrlynvic Thank you for participating in our Fitbit Community! I'm sorry to hear that your Aria scale is not covered by the warranty either. I totally understand how frustrating this is for you and I appreciate your feedback. This helps us to keep improving.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I found a much more cost effective scale. It does everything the Fitbit
scale did for 1/3 the cost.

"Treasure Love for your family, love for your spouse, love for your
friends. Treat yourself well. Cherish others. Don’t be afraid to apologize,
or to forgive"

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
Thanks, Tom. I can credit Fitbit for getting me started with watching more
than my weight. so no regrets. There are good alternatives, though, and I
have ordered a different brand scale as well.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Trg53 @mrlynvic I'm sorry about the experience you had with your Aria scales. Thank you for sharing your comments and feedback.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have other electronic scales that I have had for over twice as long and cost a quarter of the Fitbit Aria, that still work, don’t drain their batteries every week and give a more consistent weight reading.  The Aria can read .5kg difference getting off and on again.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’ve read through this form and found no helpful answers/solutions, so I did a google search and found this.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2988535 

so basically the aria was poorly designed and the plastic foot that lifts the scale when you step off of it breaks very easily, for most users about a year(that’s when your warranty runs out). Anyway without the plastic foot thing to lift up the scale, it senses the weight of the scale and keeps trying to measure and sync.

the link I posted is the plans to 3D print your own part and replace it. I hope this helps

Best Answer

Sorry, but this is a poor 'best answer'.  

Firmware update to version 39 is the culprit, and no fix in near sight.

You can 'factory reset' Aria to it's original firmware by gently holding the reset button in with a paperclip WHILE inserting that last battery. The reset button is through the tiny hole on the bottom.  This will get you back to it's original firmware (v29 for mine).

Then go through the Aria WiFi setup.  Aria will eventually update to firmware version 39 (a little each night).  Perhaps it will not do the vicious cycle thing again, although mine did. 

Until Fitbit [Google] puts out a version 40 firmware for Arias, that's all that is available.

Best Answer

I also have this problem with my scales.  Disappointing that the "Best Answer" is to contact customer service, who tell you that they can do nothing if your device is out of warranty, and the best thing to do is to buy some new scales.  It is quite obviously a problem with the firmware or failing hardware, and it is certainly more than a one-off problem.  Yet Fitbit just want to stick their head in the sand and say "throw some more money our way, and buy another set of scales that may or may not work after two years."  I have had several fitbit devices, and they are all "well made" devices, however they are not "made" to last.  All of them have failed in one way or another, after the warranty period.  Sorry Fitbit, but this just isn't acceptable.  I am currently using a Fitbit Blaze (a hand-me-down from my daughter), it will be the last Fitbit device that is ever purchased by my family, and I certainly won't recommend your devices to anyone that I know.

Best Answer

same issue for me.  Contacted customer support and was told the same thing.  Most expensive scale I ever purchased in order to share data with other Fitbit products I own.  I ended up purchasing a scale from a competitor which works fantastic so far.  Destroyed and discarded the Aria as it's about as worthless as a box of rocks.  When my Fitbit batteries start to go bad eventually, I'll switch to the competitors platform.  Sorry Fitbit, lost faith not due to the scale, but due to the response I got.  Moving on.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is issue is happening to my family as well. Fitbit has updated the firmware to drain the batteries so we will all replace our scales with the new version of the scale. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

We replaced our scales, but it definitely wasn't with a Fitbit branded set.  1/3 of the price and 3 times happier.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I found that problem isn’t as bad if the scales get a good wifi signal so perhaps get an extender and connect the Aria to that.

Jase
Best Answer
0 Votes

1. It would take a good wifi extender to read my scales now, they are about 5km away in the local rubbish tip.

2.  When they were still in the house they were positioned about 4 metres away from my modem, and still continued to have the problem, so I don't think wifi connection was an issue.

Best Answer
0 Votes