Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria shows a "Sensing, Step Off, Thinking, Err" message

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Starting a new thread as the previous similar threads are marked as Solved, but when you read them they are NOT Solved, just full of unhappy ARIA customers and a fitbit moderator that gives the same advice time and time again despite it not working.

But unlike the other threads my issue did not start after I changed the batteries. I had only changed them 4 months ago (I put a little label on the cover when I change batteries on a device so I know how often it needs doing) and also my fitbit app says it fully charged. It also says the firmware is v39

As one of the troubleshooting steps was to take out the battery wait 15 seconds and replace I did this and noted my ARIA has a firmware of v29 (Not v39)

So why does my fitbit app report v39 for the aria when its actually on v29

Have fitbit pushed out a poor firmware update that has bricked our scales ??

if so then thats fitbit's fault, as at no stage was I asked to approve a firmware update or asked to automatically accept an update, in which case if fitbit broke it, they should fix it at their cost and regardless of the warantee status of out scales. (mine is out of warrantee) 

I tried everything the fit bit moderator suggested and all the troubleshooting steps that were referenced, so please dont tell me to do them again. Ask your product team if firmware v39 has broken our scales and can they fix it. PLEASE - Make your customers happy.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
83 REPLIES 83

@Jollyrotter It's great to see you in our Fitbit Community! I'm sorry to hear about the "Sensing Thinking ERR" message that your Aria scale has displayed. I appreciate the time you spent in troubleshooting this issue before.

Since you already tried all the recommended troubleshooting steps and the issue persists, let me go ahead and forward your case to our Support team so they can investigate further and provide a solution. You will receive an email from them soon.

Let me know if you have any doubts! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes

I totally agree … obviously something has changed and I didn't do anything.  Left for holidays Dec.22 and weighed self, returned Jan. 5 and scale not working.  Thinking, Sensing and ERR … despite multiple efforts to wait and change batteries and weigh self 5 consecutive times, blah, blah, blah.  Nothing has changed and still get ERR.  Mine also out of warranty … seems kinda scammy … I will definitely NOT purchase another scale from Fitbit as for the price it is totally ridiculous that is 'just stops functioning' and despite many users have same problem, it is not their problem to fix.  😞  very sad

Best Answer
0 Votes

After 5 weeks, it's very disappointing to report that no one from Fitbit has contacted me about this issue. The scale is still showing the error. 

Sadly it it looks like the quality of Fitbit support which was when the company started a responsive and helpful service has gone downhill dramatically. It looks like they are now rely on the community to provide support for their products.

Best Answer

I am having the same issue.  I too, tried the troubleshooting tips on other posts with the same issue, but that did not work for me either.  I took the batteries out for 30 minutes and cleaned the battery compartment just as directed.  Our scale is constantly turning on on its own when we aren't in the room and hasn't been able to weigh us in several weeks,  I'm getting pretty frustrated and agree for the price of this scale, for it to not work correctly already is unacceptable. It also only says "Sens" and when I actually try to step on it, it doesn't turn on.  Please help asap!

Best Answer

Can you forward me to support as well.  Same problem and I tried all the troubleshooting steps.  Josephpassarelli@ptd.net

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m having this same issue and I am very disappointed to read all of the old threads about this error with NO solution! I have emailed customer support but I won’t get my hopes up! 

Best Answer
Well Fitbit can f themselves. My scale is officially in the scrap pile of recycling. I will never ever buy another product from them. The absolute **ahem**tiest shameful customer service for such an innovative well established company. My $25 scale works just great and if it doesn’t I will just get another and another and another and another and another and feel it is money well spent. Signing off you useless **ahem** of a company.

👎

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

He Everyone, this is an update and will hopefully help...I called Fitbit support this evening and they walked me through a couple steps… First take out the batteries and put them back in.  Then stick a safety pin/ paper clip in the tiny hole on the bottom and holdfor 20 seconds. We stepped on the scale just to make sure it worked- it did. Then we had to take it near our router, open our Fitbit app and add it as a new device and basically start the set up over… Good news is, it is working correctly as of tonight! 

Best Answer

Hi Kelly

Glad that worked for you. I tried that a couple of times and it didn't work for me.

Best Answer

@Jollyrotter @Joepass I'm sorry for the late response. However, I was able to get in touch with our Support team and was told that they reached you via email. Was a solution provided?

@KellyA0210 I'm so glad to hear that you managed to get your Aria scale back to life and it's working properly now. Thank you for posting the update here and the troubleshooting steps you followed.

@RachJack29  Thank you for joining us in this thread and our Fitbit Community! I'm sorry to hear that your Aria is also displaying the "Sensing Thinking ERR". Since you mentioned that you contacted our Support team via email, please let me know if the provided a solution.

@LisaO62 I'm sorry about the experience you had with your Aria scale. I know how you feel about this and I appreciate your feedback since this helps us to keep improving.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ugh....Just kidding.  that fix only lasted 5 days and now the scale is acting up exactly like it was.  even more frustrating and ate through another brand new set of batteries.  I need additional support or a credit for a different product.  this is absolutely disappointing.

Best Answer

@KellyA0210 Thank you for getting back! Since the issue persists, I'll forward your case to our Support team so they can investigate further and provide a solution.

You will receive an email from them soon.

Let me know if you have any doubts! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have used these Aria scales okay until I changed the batteries and I got the Sensing, Step Off, Thinking, Err message.   

The scales are on a hard ceramic floor and we always step on with barefeet.

I have removed a battery, started afresh, stepped on 5 times and nothing happens.    Now the new batteries have drained and I have just replaced them with new batteries, and repeated the restart, step on 5 times and guess what - Sensing, Step Off, Thinking, Err message.   

What else can I do....   I do not want to have to buy new scales at all of any brand, I just want these to work again.

Best Answer

I got the same problem.

1. Continuous blinking of sensing, thinking, non stop...

2. No longer measuring weight.

3. Taking battery out and waited however long didn't work either.

I have yet tried the safety pin yet. I have an ARIA 1, where do I stick the safety pin to reset?

Thanks. 

Tai

Best Answer
0 Votes

There is a little pin hole opening on the back of the scale near the battery placement .

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the tip, In an earlier message I informed others of the success reset and that it worked for thus, but it only lasted about 4 days.  Maybe you will have longer term success. 

As polite as their customer service was, I will likely not purchase a fitbit product again, and I will be sure to tell others about what a waste of money that scale was.

Best Answer

Same issue here, just replaced batteries last week and are already dead.  Often come into the room to see the scale is sensing when no one was in the room.  Issues came up after the holidays.  This is becoming a joke and my patience is running thin.  Come on fitbit, please fix this issue.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there , do you know what advice or resolution the Support Centre is sending out?  Are they resolving this issue because just putting an unanswered appeal on the community forum page is useless unless it's just to find out how many disappointed consumers are out there.

Do you have to refer us for us to get credible support?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Jeanne657 Welcome to our Fitbit Community! I'm sorry to hear that your Aria scale is also displaying a "Sensing Thinking ERR" message even after trying the recommended troubleshooting steps. I will send your case to our Customer Support department and they will assist you accordingly. Please keep an eye on your email account.

@Tclmac It's great to see you in our Fitbit Community and welcome to the forums @milo74 @zorrodog! Please make sure that your scale is placed on a hard surface and you are stepping on it barefoot and still. After making sure of these details. If these details are already covered, let me know and I'll be happy to assist you accordingly.

Regarding the pin hole, we don't recommend pushing the button since doing so several time may damage the scale. 

@Lilibloom Welcome aboard! Thank you for your contribution.

@KellyA0210 I'm sorry for the experience. I really understand how you feel and I appreciate your feedback.

Best Answer
0 Votes