Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria shows a "Sensing, Step Off, Thinking, Err" message

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Starting a new thread as the previous similar threads are marked as Solved, but when you read them they are NOT Solved, just full of unhappy ARIA customers and a fitbit moderator that gives the same advice time and time again despite it not working.

But unlike the other threads my issue did not start after I changed the batteries. I had only changed them 4 months ago (I put a little label on the cover when I change batteries on a device so I know how often it needs doing) and also my fitbit app says it fully charged. It also says the firmware is v39

As one of the troubleshooting steps was to take out the battery wait 15 seconds and replace I did this and noted my ARIA has a firmware of v29 (Not v39)

So why does my fitbit app report v39 for the aria when its actually on v29

Have fitbit pushed out a poor firmware update that has bricked our scales ??

if so then thats fitbit's fault, as at no stage was I asked to approve a firmware update or asked to automatically accept an update, in which case if fitbit broke it, they should fix it at their cost and regardless of the warantee status of out scales. (mine is out of warrantee) 

I tried everything the fit bit moderator suggested and all the troubleshooting steps that were referenced, so please dont tell me to do them again. Ask your product team if firmware v39 has broken our scales and can they fix it. PLEASE - Make your customers happy.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
83 REPLIES 83

Yeah, my scale had V39 on it and still got the 'err' message.  Once you get that 'err' and the basic steps they tell you to do and it doesn't work, you're screwed 😞 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same story.  Poor quality waste of money.  Good buy Fitbit.

Good by, definitely not good buy.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

Add me to the ditto list: changed the batteries, got the ERR message, now I have an expensive paperweight.

Best Answer
This company does not give a rats **ahem** about its customers. I am going to a mechanical scale.
Best Answer

Same problem. Not gonna waste time on this. Would be sad if it was just a ploy to get customers to buy the new scale. Definitely losing customers and brand loyalty in the process. Well done Fitbit and goodbye forever. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yep I have this issue too. And like everyone else all the suggested steps do not work or change anything. I'm about to email support, but based on the forum feedback, I'm not overly optimistic of a good result.

I see that it seems common on Firmware V39. Perhaps Juan the Fitbit moderator could enlighten us if this is a firmware issue, and if the firmware will either be rolled back (to see if it fixes) or will be updated with fix that will hopefully correct this error?

This has been an obvious issue since at least early 2018 - so if Fitbit aren't willing to resolve the issue, does that mean they have basically ended any real support of the Aria 1 scale now the Aria 2 has been on the market for a few years? If so, it would've been nice to have some notification. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JuanFitbit moderator isn't helping or commenting on any issues in here...wonder why?  Pretty eye opening if you ask me. 

@nicd_01 (anyone else in here that has the same issue that FitBit won't address) I'd certainly recommend going to check out Greater Goods scale or another smart scale that is also compatible with the fitbit app (if you wanted to keep tracking weight, etc. and you have a fitbit watch).  Greater Goods tracks more metrics than Aria 1 and 2 and has excellent customer service and 60% less than what FitBit charges for their scales. No brainer in my opinion

Best Answer
0 Votes

Add me to the list of frustrated soon-to-be former customers. Everything was working fine until a couple of weeks go when I kept getting this error. Did everything customer support said to do, and got the standard "out of the 1 year warranty" period BS. It has to be a firmware update issue, as mine also says V39.

Best Answer

Keeps you improving?? Are you kidding .. Ive been searching many many MANY! ... Threads about the Fitbit Aria Scales. This is not good enough!

I have digital scales that cost me $50 and still work after nearly 10 years! The partner bought me ours 2 years ago and yes I've tried all the support crap.. and nothing! After paying a few HUNDRED which we could never ever!.. pay again on anything leisurely.. especially on scales.. It's not good enough. Either start refunding OR replacing your scales.

Otherwise Ill be going to consumer affairs.. or the hoy of social Media starting a lovely thread about FITBIT. 

I've always supported  FITBIT .. Hell i have the Fitbit Ionic on my wrist currently. . And every other year I've  always had the most recent peice out. After investing so much money as Im sure millions have you need to resolve these issues OR REPLACE THEM.

Best Answer

Keeps you improving?? Are you kidding thats one of your most common customer service replies!!

.. Ive been searching many many MANY! ... Threads about the Fitbit Aria Scales. This is not good enough!

I have digital scales that cost me $50 and still work after nearly 10 years! The partner bought me ours 2 years ago and yes I've tried all the support crap.. and nothing! After paying a few HUNDRED which we could never ever!.. pay again on anything leisurely.. especially on scales.. It's not good enough. Either start refunding OR replacing your scales.

Otherwise Ill be going to consumer affairs.. or the hoy of social Media starting a lovely thread about FITBIT. 

I've always supported  FITBIT .. Hell i have the Fitbit Ionic on my wrist currently. . And every other year I've  always had the most recent peice out. After investing so much money as Im sure millions have you need to resolve these issues OR REPLACE THEM.

Best Answer

I'm joining the get rid-of-everything-fitbit-club. I have been a fitbit user since they first started. I've had multiple iterations from the pocket to the wrist and the scale. What a scam company they've turned into.

Best Answer

Ohh they are gonna sensor your post just like they did mine! I got an Apple Watch, costs more but Apple is a company that stands behind their products!

Best Answer
0 Votes

so frustrating- this is the same scenario i am stuck with. all there products are great for about the length of the warranty. and it is maddening how they divert their responses, answer queries with irrelevant suggestions, and leave it at that. so many people have the same bogus problem with this bogus scale, yet they do nothing pointed to resolve it. fitbit sucks.

Best Answer
0 Votes

e uggggggh. i get it. you're completely hindered by useless products and useless information on how to fix them. so u respond robotically, as if you "care". 

Lame.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same problem here ! With Aria 1. Warranty period is unfortunately passed...

I suspect this is due to a recent Firmware upgrade (v39) because it happened suddenly and also because I noticed a changed UI, previously it would show the weight directly now it always start with "Hi :-)" then "Sensing", "Step Off" and "Err".

I did all the recommended troubleshooting, no success. If this is really a FW issue are you going to issue v40 ?

My Fitbit Surge bracelet just got broken and now this... very frustrating!

Best Answer

I suggested the same, Fitbit will alter your post as it is a violation to mention taking any action for them completely dropping the ball on products and service. Basically it’s a big deal with it or buy a replacement product because we don’t really care about our customers. 

Best Answer

I'm another person with the same type of error.  Our batteries ran out, and when we replaced them we had this problem.  Probably the issue is what's causing all our batteries to wear out, and we notice the problem when we put new batteries in.

If a firmware update has wrecked our scales, Fitbit needs to do the right thing and own up to it and figure out a way to resolve it.  The right way is to get our scales working again.  This "just buy another scale" "solution" makes me sad when I think of all these electronics needlessly filling up landfills.

Best Answer

JuanJo, 

having the same issues here with step off the ERR

replaced batteries

stepped on off 5 times 

on flat surface. 

help! Any ideas 

Best Answer
Basically the device is useless. Fitbit will not replace their answer is for you to buy a new device.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for sharing not a great solution

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer
0 Votes