Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria shows a "Step Off Err" message

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi there, 

I have just set up my Aria to wifi for the first time which was successful, but now receieve the following messages: 

Hi 🙂 

Sensing

Step off 

Step off

Step off

Step off

Err

I have removed all batteries for a short period and also am only attempting this on a hard surface. All to no avail. 

Are there any other options to get this working? 

Thanks in advance.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@SelenaF Thanks for participating in our Fitbit Community! I'm sorry to hear about the "Sensing ERR" message you are getting on your Aria's display. Thank you for troubleshooting this issue before contacting our Fitbit forums. I'd like you to try one more workaround: please re-calibrate your scale by weighing yourself 5 times in a row and let me know if the error message disappears.

Keep me posted! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
196 REPLIES 196

@SelenaF Thanks for participating in our Fitbit Community! I'm sorry to hear about the "Sensing ERR" message you are getting on your Aria's display. Thank you for troubleshooting this issue before contacting our Fitbit forums. I'd like you to try one more workaround: please re-calibrate your scale by weighing yourself 5 times in a row and let me know if the error message disappears.

Best Answer

I’m having this problem I’ve tried everything that’s been suggested with no success 😩

Best Answer

@Gladysprison It's great to see new faces in the Fitbit forums. Thank you for taking the time to troubleshoot this issue by following the tips recommended previously. Due to this, I'll forward your case to our Support team and they'll reach you soon via email in order to follow up on this issue.

Let me know if you have any doubts! Smiley Happy

Best Answer

I am also having this case (ERR message on the scale display after weighting) and the 5 times calibration manouver didn't work. Could you solve it with other actions ? Did fitbit support helped you out to solve it ?

Best Answer

@psgroi Thank you for joining us in this thread and our Fitbit Community! I appreciate the time you took in troubleshooting this issue before contacting our forums. Please make sure that your Aria is placed on an even or flat surface and you are stepping on the scale barefoot.

If you already covered these details and if you haven't done so, please restart your scale by taking out the batteries for 15 seconds and put them back in. After this, weigh yourself 5 times in a row again and let me know how it goes.

Hope this helps! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the exact problem with my Aria:

> Step Off

> Step Off

> Step Off

>ERR

Have changed batteries repeatedly.  Have weighed myself repeatedly. Is there new firmware?

Best Answer

@MalRadd It's great to see you in our Fitbit Community! I'm sorry to hear that your Aria is also displaying a "Step Off, ERR" message, even though you've replaced the batteries and re-calibrated your Aria.

Please make sure that your Aria scale is placed on an even surface and you are weighing yourself barefoot. If these details are already covered, let me know and I'll be happy to assist you accordingly.

Best Answer
0 Votes
On hard flat surface - check
In barefeet - check
Fresh batteries - check
Weigh myself 5x to calibrate Aria - check

What else?
Best Answer

@MalRadd Thank you for getting back and trying the troubleshooting steps shared in my previous post.

Since the issue persists, I'll send your case to our Support team and they'll be happy to follow up and provide assist you accordingly. Please keep an eye on your email account.

I'll be around if you have any questions! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m having the same issue, and tried the all above suggestions.

seems quite common, is there another known fix for this now??

thanks 

Best Answer

Mine started showing the step off err message this morning too! I have done all of the trouble shooting that was suggested. Now what?

Best Answer
The final troubleshooting option is a factory reset.

On the underside of the scale, on the left side there a small hole. Using a
pin, press the reset button below this hole. That should trigger a factory
reset. You will then see "setup active" displayed. Follow the scale setup
procedure.

This process didn't work for me.
Best Answer

Greetings! I am now joining the ranks of those receiving the Hi>Sensing>Step Off>Thinking>Err message. I received my error after my batteries died and I replaced them with new ones. This is only the second time I have ever replaced the batteries. I looked online for solutions and finally saw on the Fitbit site that the solution was to contact Aria Support, which I did. They were very nice and offered a few troubleshooting suggestions. They were replace the batteries (I did that already), shake it gently, and finally to turn it face down and leave it for 35 minutes (35 minutes? Not 30 or 45?) Anyway, none of these things worked. I have had my Aria longer than a year so there is no warranty. This is not an inexpensive scale and with so many people having this issue one would think there is a better solution that buy a new one. I am not at all happy about this and not be repurchasing a replacement product or any other product from this company. Too bad, I did like it and the other FitBit products. I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED!!

Best Answer

Well I think all of these posts I’m reading has answered my question of whether I should get an Aria.  Yikes.

Best Answer
To be clear, I had my Aria for four years before this problem. It worked
great. It only had issues at the end of product life.

I bought a new Aria 2 last week and love it even more.
Best Answer

I’m not happy at all. Very disappointed. I’m shocked to see all of these comments. It’s like the company doesn’t even care.

I bought my Aria 4 years ago as well. Is that the issue? Unsupported moving forward and need to buy a new scale?

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

Obviously FitBit doesn’t care what their customers think or they would be jumping this growing list of complaints about the Aria, defending themselves and trying to make it right. Maybe they think that giving their customers with problems a place to vent is enough. They have lost a long-time multi-product owning customer, I will not be buying from them again.

Best Answer

Message does not disappear for me 😞  Any other things I should try?

How is the "step off" err SOLVED if the issue hasn't been resolved?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer

I totally agree!! It is not resolved, unless you consider their solution of trashing your scale and buying a new one as resolved.

Best Answer