Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria shows a "Step Off Err" message

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi there, 

I have just set up my Aria to wifi for the first time which was successful, but now receieve the following messages: 

Hi 🙂 

Sensing

Step off 

Step off

Step off

Step off

Err

I have removed all batteries for a short period and also am only attempting this on a hard surface. All to no avail. 

Are there any other options to get this working? 

Thanks in advance.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
196 REPLIES 196

My advice is to not by any Fitbit products.  My Aria scale is having the same problems and customer support said a sensor was broken.   

Best Answer

Yes indeed, BBQDOUG! I totally agree, I have not and will not ever again buy a fitbit product and not only that, I am telling anyone and everyone I know who uses their products (or might be tempted to buy one) about the way we have all been mistreated. 

WORD OF MOUTH WORKS!

Best Answer

I am having the same problem with my Aria scale. We have been saying it's possessed. 

The scale also turns on in the middle of the night on its own. It has started to run through batteries because it keeps turning on and saying "STEP OFF". 

This problem has been going on for over a year. It's on a hard surface, we've changed the batteries and weighed ourselves barefooted many time. Still, the demon is in the scale ... 🙂 

Is there a fix? 

Seems like there's a bug in the software and the company doesn't know how to fix it. 

Not to sound bitter ... but all the developers are probably gone or they were a short-term contract group. So now the consumers pay the price. Sigh. 

It was a nice scale back when it worked. But for $200 (I got it about 8 years ago (2012)), it's a big shame that it doesn't work properly anymore. If it had been $20 or $30, it wouldn't be so bad.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

I am suddenly seeing the same problem too. Fitbit: what is the cause of this obscure 'ERR'?

Best Answer

Wow I must have used my scales around 8 times in total over the time I've had it and now I'm finally well enough to start training and exercising seriously again after a long illness the **ahem** thing wont work & by the look of all the so called solutions there actually isn't one. 

I'm glad I realised this before buying a new sports tracker from this company. My mum bought a set of scales from a so called budget supermarket at the same time as I purchased mine and they've are this working remarkably well. 

Theres a lesson there. 

Best Answer

I'm having the same problem.  It worked fine until today.  Now I get the step off error.  I've tried the fix you posted numerous times.  The issue persists.

Best Answer

Did not work for me.  Every weight was different. Body fat variances by 9-10%. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Also have the same issue. Have tried all suggestions and still get the err message. Was going to buy for my friend as a birthday present but no way now! 
I’ll also tweet Fitbit and let everyone else know not to buy this product 

Best Answer

I am getting this message after the scale working fine yesterday.  I have put fresh batteries in more than once and tried the weigh myself five times calibration three times.  Sadly this is the second Aria this has happened to and I'm very disappointed. Last time I was basically told too bad buy another one

Best Answer

This is also happening to me. How can I fix it.

I changed the batteries 

I took them out for 10 seconds

I also tried stepping on and stepping off 5 times.

can anyone point me in the right direction please ?

Best Answer
My difficulty might have originated by moving my scale before using it. My bathroom where I used the scale is small so kept scale next to the wall and moved it to another spot to weigh then back to its spot next to wall. The err message didn’t show up until about a month or so before it died. I had the scale for about 2 years.

When I started looking for answers discovered that it resets itself when it is moved after (I think) 3 times. So it is not made to be moved. I put into a different room where it didn’t need to be moved.

Unfortunately it was too late for my scale and it had lost its mind. Erratic weights and %fat, stuck in resetting loop, ate batteries, and wouldn’t synch with my internet no matter what I did. I threw it out and replaced it with a simple digital scale. Much cheaper and accurate. Just have to enter weight manually. So much less frustrating.
Best Answer
0 Votes

That’s not an answer. What kind of company uses empathy as a solution?!?!

Best Answer

Hello JuanJo, does Fitbit have a y solution to tris problem. It seems to be a regular problem.

Best Answer

Add me to the long list of people having this problem, after having tried all off their suggestions.

It is odd that Firtbit seems to be ignoring all of us

Best Answer

Me too. Customer service basically told me too bad and now I have a 200$ piece of junk that can’t do the simple task of weighing me.

Best Answer
Fitbit has no solution. But try lifting it off the sensors.
-Matt
Best Answer

I'm just reading up on all the replies since my last reply a few months back. 

There is no solution & after initially having people waste a good deal of their time going around in  circles with the nonsensical advice the now have basically said "tough" and are not willing to give people the courtesy of a response to the issue. 

All I can say is share this experience far and wide. 

It's such a shame as I actually really liked my fitbit.

I'm just very thankful my scales packed up before I'd purchased a new fitness tracker. 

Karyn. 

Best Answer
Yes I agree. I don’t plan on buying anymore from this company either. When I got my first FitBit years ago I was impressed with how helpful they were. That has certainly changed and whoever is now managing the company is clearly not interested in investing time and energy in supporting customers who have purchased their products. It is a sad reflection on them, because I too was a big fan. Must say that since I tossed out the scale and replaced it with a manual my stress level has decreased. All the best.
Best Answer

Absolutely agree with you on all points. I'm yet to throw mine out but I'm going to do it today. 

All the best to you too. Karyn. 

Best Answer
yeah, its not the best image for a big company like Fitbit to just turn
their back.
in my opinion its a bad design that the software isn't able to run through
long life expectancy.
but as a company i'm sure the executives only want it to last 2 years at
most then break, so the customer has to come back and spend another $200 on
a new scale.
so the executives dont care about out of warranty scales or electronics.
my plan is to not support them in the future.
-Matt
Best Answer