Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria shows a "Step off - Sensing - Thinking" Error

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi!

As many of the FitBit Aria users is seems that my unit has gone into "Step off - Sensing - Thinking - Error" mode.

I've read through the other similar threads, done the trouble shooting:

Remove one battery, wait 10 seconds, replace the battery, setup mode comes active and so on.

I've tried the same with fresh batteries.

Redone the setup process with both the web and the mac app.

Same result every time: Step off - Sensing - Thinking - Error

There have been no changes to my wifi network and I always use it bear footed.

I´ve even gone through the bother to remove all unknown devices that ever connected to my wifi router, just to be sure that I'd get a new network device, the aria, and guess what nothing happened.

This was done with the scales and computer both at less that a meter away from the wifi router. 

What can I do more?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
81 REPLIES 81

@JimMathy @MaxRunner Welcome to our Fitbit Community! I'm sorry to hear that the sensors of your Aria scales got broken also. Since we don't have a repair center nor the plastic parts for replacement, I'll send your cases to our Support team and they'll be glad to follow up and provide a solution.

Keep an eye on your email accounts.

Let me know if you have any questions.

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JuanJoFitbit I have the same ERR problem as described by the previous threads.

Please re-open these tickets. They show up as resolved in searches on these support sites but clearly for many of us the issue is not resolved. 

People gluing plastic parts is a mitigation at best. I live in the UK and will have no way to get a new scale or fix mine properly. 

What do do you suggest? I’ve already tried the battery reproduction steps. I am using the scale barefoot and on a flat surface. 

Thank you. 

Meredith 

Best Answer
0 Votes

There’s no fix. The sensors are built into the pegs, I’ve checked my Aria out and know electronics as I build and design analog synthesizers.

The wiring is cabled off and this is a good design, the sensors are all connected as my voltage meter shows the connections, the sensors are cheap and stop working after a while.

My Aria lasted 3 years and I’m debating getting the Aria 2.

Relatively new company that has excellent customer service.

Because of that I’m willing to accept my 33 dollar a year cost as a service charge.

Aria 2 better have better sensors though, these are really Cheap parts.

Im sure breaking into the vault for 5 more cents won’t kill their ROI.

Best Answer

@JuanJoFitbit could you look at my post and connect me to the support team please?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@meredithmmeyer Thank you for participating in our Fitbit Community! Please let me forward your case to our Customer Support department so they can investigate further and provide a solution. Please keep an eye on your email account.

@Dyp Welcome to the Fitbit forums! I'm sorry about the experience you had with your Aria scale. I appreciate your feedback since this helps us to keep improving.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Aria is doing the ERR thing as well.  I had previously switched my router about 2 months before and had to reconnect, but I don't think this is related.  I have had my Aria for 3 years now and this is really the first problem I have had with it other than changing batteries. 

I am up for Aria surgery to see if I have the broken part.

broken arm on leg-sensorbroken arm on leg-sensorbroken arm on leg-sensor

Great!  I tried to glue mine as well.  An arm was broken on two leg-sensors.  I used super glue gel 

I reinforced the remaining arms, while it was out and the glue was open

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Zombywoof Welcome to our Fitbit forums! I'm sorry to hear that your Aria scale had a broken sensor.

Since you mentioned that you glued the sensor of your Aria scale, I would like to know if your Aria is now working properly or if the issue persists.

In addition, please check out this page for more information about the warranty policy.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sadly, the superglue did not fix it - still the same exact problem, 'Sensing' then 'ERR'.  

I don't want to try gluing the parts again - but might try 3-D printing replacement parts as a design / blue print exists.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Zombywoof I'm sorry to hear that the issue couldn't be fixed. Due to this, let me go ahead and forward your case to our Support team so they can follow up.

You will receive an email from them soon.

Let me know if you have any doubts! Smiley Happy

Best Answer

How can FitBit mark this topic as solved?

THERE IS NO SOLUTION.

Tryed even to glue the plastic legas, but none of mine were broken.

My ERR appeared exaclty when I chenged the batteries.

The USD 130 scale is useless now, and support just told they will do nothing because it's out of warranty.

BUT IT'S A CLEAR ERROR IN THE PROJECT. If Fitbit was a serious company, they would recalled ALL v1 Arias, becausa ALL of them are presenting thir error, or will be.

But FitBit chose the path of ignoring their customers, so, I'm making the right thing from now on: NEVER BUYING ANY FITBIT STUFF AGAIN. And telling all my friends what happened, so, they won't loss money in this company.

Best Answer

Amen Sunset Runner

Fitbit gave up on me as a customer with their response to this Aria issue. What BS!

I recently bought a Eufy scale and am happy as can be. It gives more detailed information and was on $40 on Amazon.

I still use my Fitbit Charge 2, but my wife's Fitbit Charge 2 died after 1 year.

We are done with Fitbit too!

Best Answer

@Gobzzz I totally understand how you feel and I'm sorry about the experience you had with your Aria scale. Thank you for sharing your feedback since this helps us to keep improving our products and services.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I threw the damm thing out.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

@JimMathy I'm sorry to hear that you decided to throw it away and the experience. We appreciate your feedback.

Best Answer

Is Fitbit offering repair, replacement parts or recycle options for the broken foot issue? I have an Aria (1) that is now useless. I had to buy a traditional scale to continue tracking my weight. I'd rather not contribute this expensive and otherwise functional piece of tech to the landfills over a failed piece of cheap plastic. 

Best Answer

I'm really disappointed reading all these post where people have the same problem as me. Obviously the Aria scale is not performing up to expectations, I'm not sure how they get away with this. Warranty is what - 12 months? It should perform properly for at least five years and more. Mine has never been abused.  Very disappointing.

Best Answer

You people at Fitbit should be ashamed of selling faulty products in order to make more profit. We work hard for our money to have companies like yours to steal our money.  Shame-- Shame.

Best Answer

I have the same issue. Very disappointed. I've been your customer for 6 years and the amount of time I had to spend with such issue is unbelievable.

If you do not do something about it, you will continue losing your loyal customers. 

The way you are ha dining this issue is extremely poor and unprofessional.

Please stop saying "we appreciate your feedback". You are not. 

You simply do not care about our feedback.

At least be honest.... 

Shame on you...

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

I have the same problem. Please connect me with the support team. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same sensor problem.. no fix for me... anyone?

Best Answer
0 Votes