Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria shows a "Step off - Sensing - Thinking" Error

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi!

As many of the FitBit Aria users is seems that my unit has gone into "Step off - Sensing - Thinking - Error" mode.

I've read through the other similar threads, done the trouble shooting:

Remove one battery, wait 10 seconds, replace the battery, setup mode comes active and so on.

I've tried the same with fresh batteries.

Redone the setup process with both the web and the mac app.

Same result every time: Step off - Sensing - Thinking - Error

There have been no changes to my wifi network and I always use it bear footed.

I´ve even gone through the bother to remove all unknown devices that ever connected to my wifi router, just to be sure that I'd get a new network device, the aria, and guess what nothing happened.

This was done with the scales and computer both at less that a meter away from the wifi router. 

What can I do more?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
81 REPLIES 81

What is the solution for the step off thinking error problem ?

Best Answer
0 Votes

There isn't one...buy a new scale.
I switched to Garmin.

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
You can buy the Eufy smart scale for $30. It is great.
Measures weight, body fat, muscle, bone mass.

Even if it isn't perfect. It shows trends. Great app interface.
It also is very attractive.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the exact same problem. Fitbit should have this fixed immediately. Very frustrating.

Add me to the list of the exact same problem. When will Fitbit fix it and how will they notify me?

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

Little late to the show,  it my wife and I just started getting the same message after swapping batteries. I tired to reset using a pin and it didn’t work. I then took out the batteries and pushed the reset with the pin the entire time I replaced the batteries and was able to get the “Setup Active” displayed. I then followed the setup prompts from the app, connected to the Aria Network, then connected to my network. Took 2 tries but it finally ‘Linked.’  I then weighed myself and it was acting normal. Got the step off message over and over again until it “err’d” out. At least there is a way to restart adding the Aria to your network, but didn’t fix the error issue

Best Answer

I'm afraid to tell you that we don't sell parts and we don't have a repair center.  Did I really just read this.  A major worldwide company that deals in electronic goods that doesn't sell replacement parts or have a repair centre.  This has to be a joke surely.  My last fitbit purchase was just that, my last.

Best Answer

Zombywoof - you may have a new business printing and selling replacements lol

Same problem - sensing - thinking - step off - err.  Fitbit - please send part or send me discount cheque on my recent purchases of Versa 2 and Aria Air.  Happy with my Blaze, willing to give one more try since you did replace Charge when wrist band failed.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same problem - sensing - thinking - step off - err.  Please forward to support.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi all, I thought I'd mention my experience with this issue, hopefully it helps some of you. 

I had the same thinking, step off, error issue arise with my Aria scale about 2 months after my 2 year warranty expired. Exhausted all of the reset options, taking the batteries out etc. Decided open a case with Fitbit (Australian). After a fair bit of back and forth of them needing my proof of purchase and asking me to do the resets, to my great surprise they offered to send me a free replacement Aria 2 scale (as Aria 1 is no longer on the market) Kudos to them for honouring the replacement in this case. I know a lot of other users in this forum have not been so lucky with getting replacements, but perhaps they have recently changed their stance realising that this is such a widespread issue. My guess only. But if you are currently having this problem it's worth a try contacting Fitbit and working through their troubleshooting steps. They may reach the conclusion that you need a replacement!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same problem. The scale comkes up ERR. Have someone walk me through a solution. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m also having this problem after 3 years, meaning my scale is out of warranty. I have followed all of the steps suggested here to recover function. 

I also had a problem with a Charge HR delaminating. I’ve since replaced this with a Blaze that seems OK after 2 years, although I’ve been through 3 bands including a ‘premium’ leather one. 

I’m really starting to question the build quality of Fitbit products. I purchased this Aria to replace a Tanita scale that lasted 12 years. The fact that it lasted only 3, and you provide no repair solutions makes it a very expensive glass tile. It’s environmental vandalism to expect that the product is discarded and replaced with another in such a short time. Under Australian Consumer Law we have the concept of statutory warranty - that I can expect reasonable use from the product. Does Fitbit find it reasonable that I dispose of the faulty and irreparable product after 3 years? Did I purchase a disposable scale or one that I can expect as much use from as the Tanita product I previously owned? What are you going to do about this? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

That's because they make cheaply manufactured components / devices in china, mark them up and sell them to poor people who pay inordinate amounts for this junk. 4 Separate Fitbit products I've had. All of which have ended up in the bin. A disgrace of a company. 

Best Answer

I FINALLY made the switch to Garmin. Don't know what took me so long. They are SO much better. Countless broken fitbits and then this scale error finally did Fitbit in for me. Never again.

Best Answer

I'm fairly sure I will switch to Garmin next. I've had 3-4 fitbits, but kind of over it with everybody having this same problem and they're not prepared to address it.

Best Answer

Yeah I ordered a cheap scale on Amazon @ £20 which is perfect. After my Fitbit (3rd one I've had through repeated failures)  Ionic has developed yet another problem; I've decided to cancel my Fitbit fitness plan and go Garmin too. Shame on you Fitbit, you are nothing short of a disgrace. 

Best Answer

Having the same issue with my scale. This is very disappointing.

Shea
Best Answer
0 Votes

I bought a new scale
--

Best Answer
0 Votes

As did I.  Too much-accumulated data to switch; too high a cost to try and fix more than once without a replacement part.

Best, Mike

Best Answer
0 Votes

Terrible company. I’ve spent lots of money on projects over the years.  Shameful customer service 

Best Answer

Same thing here.  I did discover that there is a small hole where you can insert a needle (or iphone sim pin) which resets the scale.  However, after doing this several times the scale still goes back to saying "step sense" or "step off".

No idea how to sort this. Went on a chat but was told that it was the wrong chat and I have no idea how to find the scale chat page.  

Best Answer
0 Votes