Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria stuck on a "STEP ON... SENSING" message

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Aria just keeps asking STEP ON... SENSING... repeatedly. Whenmyou do step on it, it gives correct readings, but it then goes back to this afterwards and doesn't shut down. I have tried removing the batteries for a minute and the trying again and the same thing happens. I have now removed the batteries so that they don't run down.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
3 BEST ANSWERS

Accepted Solutions

Hi @SunsetRunner

Feel free to contact the Fitbit Support Team: India | United Kingdom | United States

Optionally check out Returns & Warranty before contacting support.

Mention what you've already tried to speed things up.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @SunsetRunner,

Thanks for your reply.

I removed the batteries in my Aria for a couple of minutes and then put them back in, and it seems to have fixed the issue.

Best Answer

Amazing news my friend @SunsetRunner Woman Very Happy! I'm glad to hear that your Aria is back on track, thanks for your help my dear @SunsetRunner.

Hope to see you participating in the Community more often since I think it would be awesome for you to explore our Community, so you can go ahead and log to any of the topics that might be of your interest in our Discussion boards. Feel free to comment and contribute with your knowledge and experience.

Have a nice weekend guys!

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
19 REPLIES 19

Hi @SunsetRunner

Feel free to contact the Fitbit Support Team: India | United Kingdom | United States

Optionally check out Returns & Warranty before contacting support.

Mention what you've already tried to speed things up.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @SunsetRunner,

Thanks for your reply.

I removed the batteries in my Aria for a couple of minutes and then put them back in, and it seems to have fixed the issue.

Best Answer

Amazing news my friend @SunsetRunner Woman Very Happy! I'm glad to hear that your Aria is back on track, thanks for your help my dear @SunsetRunner.

Hope to see you participating in the Community more often since I think it would be awesome for you to explore our Community, so you can go ahead and log to any of the topics that might be of your interest in our Discussion boards. Feel free to comment and contribute with your knowledge and experience.

Have a nice weekend guys!

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer

Splendiferous @bugsquash

You to @MarreFitbit Cat Happy

Kitten

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’ve had the same problem for a couple years now, and I tried removing and replacing the batteries several times with no luck. I finally contacted customer support and I was told that since it was out of the one-year warranty there is nothing that they could do. The only troubleshooting options are the battery removals and they told me that since they did not work there is nothing that can be done.

I was advised that I could buy a new Aria 2 scale on the Fitbit website. I was not even offered a coupon code. I have been a loyal Fitbit user for several years and I believe the signals the end of that loyalty

Best Answer

@Denito Welcome to our Fitbit Community! I'm sorry to hear that your Aria shows a "Sensing Thinking ERR" message. I'm also sorry to hear that it's no longer under warranty. I know how frustrating this is for you and I appreciate your feedback and comments since this helps us to keep improving.

Please visit this page for more information about the warranty policies.

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same problem! 

Best Answer
I’m sorry to hear that. I called Fitbit customer support and got zero help. They only reset solution is to remove the batteries, wait a few minutes, then put them back in. That never worked for me, and since my scale was out of warranty it would not be replaced by Fitbit. They suggested I buy a new Aria scale. They didn’t even offer a discount or anything on a new one. I told the rep I have been a loyal Fitbit user for over 6 years (trackers and scales), but she just said she couldn’t offer me anything at all. So I am now a happy Apple Watch user.

If you haven’t tried the battery removal as a fix, it’s worth a shot, but if that doesn’t work don’t expect any help from Fitbit customer support.

John
Best Answer

I have a very similar issue.  Sometimes it works for a bit after the battery removal, but now the only way it works is if I remove/replace the battery, step on it, then when I step off, I have to pick it up before it recognizes I've stepped off.  If I don't remove the batteries when not in use it will randomly turn one, go through this cycle while eating up the batteries.

At $150 per device, and as it's only lasted about 2 years, that is way too much to have to pay for a product that isn't going to last a little bit longer.  I think I'll be looking for an alternative, or just using my $20 scale that has lasted 10 years.  It doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but $2/year compared to $75/year is a major difference.

Best Answer

I have had the same issue for the past several months. My Aria is connected to my account via Wifi but gets stuck in the "Thinking ERR" loop. Regrettably, it  doesn't do a great job at thinking. Apparently this has become a common issue with this scale.

Fitbit support was very, very helpful with the Versa that died on me and a watch band that cracked. It was under warranty and their customer service was superb in that case.. But reading the reports here, it looks like the Aria products have a finite life span that is much shorter than  should be. It has, unfortunaty, not been a good investment for that reason.

I will not buy a newer model for that reason and, being on a fixed, retirement income, I cannot afford to purchase a new scale very  few years.

Best Answer

My first defective Aria was replaced by the warranty, but they refused to replace the second defective one because they already replaced one. It was super unfair. I hope other people have better luck than me. 

Best Answer

After this happened, I put new batteries in during December, and got readings for awhile before this started again.  Yesterday I put all new batteries in again, and it is still giving the same "Sensing, Step Off" message, and Fitbit tells me at the top of the dashboard that my Aria batteries are low.  Do I need a new scale?

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Aria scale is doing the same thing.  Something is wrong with the sensor. Which means it never goes to a zero value. 
when I pickup the scale and hold it in my hands it stops and the screen goes blank. 
then when I set it on the ground again it goes back to the step-sensing-step message and wears down the battery. 
my current solution is to lift up the left middle side of my scale with a slipper to keep the feet off the ground.  This tricks the scale into thinking I’m holding it.  Then the screen goes blank and it spots step-sensing-step. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Put a slipper under the left side. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine started erring 5 days ago with no change to router or internet... talked to customer service and they basically told me too bad because my warranty is up ... now I have a 200$ piece of garbage 😡 

Best Answer

There are a lot of post regarding the same issue.  I thought I was the only one with this issue.  It would seem like there needs to be some sort of update or reimbursement to purchasers of the scale.  I've done all of the suggested changes and the problem persist.  With that said I've had the scale for several years but that doesn't make it okay for it to eat up batteries the way it does since it started acting up.  As other's have stated the scale wasn't inexpensive.

Best Answer

I found this on another post. It seems Google is refusing to fix this issue and case could be made that they deliberately are ruining the product by having customers encouraged to buy the new scale. 

Firmware update to version 39 is the culprit, and no fix in near sight.

You can 'factory reset' Aria to it's original firmware by gently holding the reset button in with a paperclip WHILE inserting that last battery. The reset button is through the tiny hole on the bottom.  This will get you back to it's original firmware (v29 for mine).

Then go through the Aria WiFi setup.  Aria will eventually update to firmware version 39 (a little each night).  Perhaps it will not do the vicious cycle thing again, although mine did. 

There isn't much hope until Fitbit [Google] puts out a version 40 firmware for Aria.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I fixed it.

In the battery compartment are 2 Philips Head screws. Remove them.

Take a flat head screwdriver or butter knife and work it under the edge of the rear panel and stick it in about 2 inches and pry a little. Keep working this around and prying. There are about 8 spots evenly spaced where "posts" are friction pushed into "holes" that hold the panel on. After a couple of rounds it will free up and lift off. The two FEET on the battery side each have 2 additional wires coming out of them. These are the contact wires that tell the scale that somebody is on it. The other two feet don't have these extra wires. Inside those feet, the black wire goes to a spring that makes contact with the metal on the pressure sensor. The red wire goes to a center piece that is held off of the pressure sensor by a rubber separator. When you step on, it crushes the rubber and allows the center piece to contact a number on the pressure sensor, completing a circuit and telling the scale somebody is on it. The two parts of that switch are installed too close to each other and the spring can work itself close to the center piece and they make contact without a person on it. The trick is to pull the black wire to the left while pulling the red wire to the right on each foot. This ROTATES the center piece away from the spring and gives adequate clearance to avoid the circuit from completing without a person on it. You'll need to make sure the wires aren't crossed when you do this. If you shine a light and look closely in there it will make better sense. I disassembled a foot first to discover this. You can also do this by prying the white plastic tab and lifting the plastic foot off of the metal pressure sensor. The rubber separator will fall out of place, and the spring on the black wire will probably fall out of place on the foot and both will have to be in proper position to reassemble, but it will make sense if you see it apart like that. My instructions above can be do e without disassembling the feet but you're kind of doing it blind that way. If you get the parts separated properly, your troubles are solved. Keep the rear panel removed while you test your fix. That way you can make further adjustments without having to pry the cover off again and again. The batteries can fall out of you aren't careful but you can test the scale that way. Good luck. 

Best Answer
I am glad you have come up with a fix for this. Mine made a lousy door stop and I discarded it. I bought a $14 electronic scale at Costco which has far outlasted the very expensive Aria which Fitbit had no interest in after I purchased it.I am also on my third Fitbit Versas after three aria wrst bands gave out. One Aria and one Versa were replaced promptly, to their credit.
Best Answer
0 Votes