Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria weight ins aren't actually private

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Despite Fitbit saying that "Your weight data is not visible to other users of your scale," there are bugs in the iPhone app and Windows PC app that allow users to view each other's private weight data (I didn't see this bug on Android or on the web-based dashboard/settings, but it could still exist on these or on other platforms).

On the iPhone or Windows PC, if a user goes to 'Account,' then selects 'Aria,' and then selects 'Recent Weigh-Ins,' it will show a recent history of all users who used the scale, with weights seemingly listed only for that user. However, if a user selects another user on this list and selects 'Assign weight,' and then selects him/herself, that weigh-in now shows up on the list as the user, with that person's weight listed. What's more, on the iPhone, and sometimes on the PC, a user can then quickly assign the weight back to the original person, and it will now list that user with his/her weight in perpetuity. Doing this quick trick a few times can easily display someone else's entire weigh-in history for all users linked to the scale.

This has led to some embarrassing situations among several users of my scale, as weight is a very sensitive issue for many people, and they would like to keep this sensitive information private, to themselves. Users of the Aria scale should be able to weigh themselves with the confidence that their weight will not be shared with others, and this is very disappointing. 

Fitbit needs to address this situation immediately.

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer
39 REPLIES 39

Thank you @j0sch for bringing this up,  let's pull @EmersonFitbit over here.

Best Answer
I fully agree that this is completely unacceptable. I would not have bought the aria if I had known that i can see the weight of everyone in the household. It explicitly states that you only see your own weight. Bad enough that guests can innocently step on the scale not knowing that their weight is being sent to others in the household, but to have registered users not be able to maintain a level of privacy is a no go for me. I've just thrown out the box so no idea whether I will be able to return my scale. This needs to be fixed asap
Best Answer

Same here -- I purchased this scale BECAUSE of Fitbit explicitly stating that no one else using the scale can see your weight, and I'm sure a large number of other customers have done the same.

I agree, the guest thing is weird, but registered Fitbit users should definitely have the privacy Fitbit claims they are offering.

This seems like such a simple, quick fix to implement -- I'd rather Fitbit addresses this so we can continue using what is otherwise a great and innovative product that is helpful in managing one's health and fitness.

I reached out to Fitbit Customer Support last week and after an initial quick response from them, provided them a very detailed walkthrough of the issue, which platforms seem to be affected, and step-by-step screenshots of the issue. One week later, I have not yet heard anything at all from them, despite 2 follow up attempts, which is very odd and frustrating.

After several inquiries, I finally received a response directly from Fitbit, which does not acknowledge or address the issue... The way they have it set up on iPhone and PC, you can fully view other people's weights using the 'reassign weight' feature, when the Fitbit website repeatedly indicates that your weight data is prviate and will not be shared with any other users on your scale.

Hello,

We are sorry to hear that you didn't receive our reply regarding your inquiry about reassigning weight measurements from other users to yours in order to see their weight.

Please notice that this is feature that allows other users to reassign unrecognized weight measurements to the correct user. We appreciate your feedback and would like you to share your feedback on our Ideas board on our community (https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Requests/idb-p/features), which our product development teams consult regularly to ensure we're delivering on what our customers need and want. Please take a moment to visit and give us your feedback.

If you find that a similar suggestion has already been made by another member of the community, you can vote for their idea and add your comments. Our product team looks forward to reading and incorporating your suggestions into future versions of Fitbit trackers and apps.

We will be glad to continue assisting you if you have any other inquiries.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

it took me a number of emails ans screenshots to get the above point you make accross. i was told its with the developers. this problem has resulted in my kids refusing to use the aria which I can fully understand.

They also had me do a whole load of logging in and out and changing privacy settings before finally accepting that there is a problem. Hello? ever hear if reproducing a bug?? Then acting like its the first they heard of it. such a shame because the scale itself is cool.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

Just received my scale today and am very upset that the weigh ins are not actually private.  I won't be sharing the scale and that is really not right.  Can't believe that over 10 months have gone by and this is not fixed.

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner It's great to see you aboard in the Community! I would like you to make sure that your profile settings page has the private setting to show your weight information to "You" only. You can check out the steps to change this setting in @MakMak's post. If your weight information is still public, please provide a screenshot of the page that shows your weight info publicly so I can investigate further.

Catch ya later my friend! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer

Thanks for your response. Yes, my weight is private on profile settings.  On my iphone app I can see my weight history as well as the weight of anyone else who gets on the scale.  I am reluctant to give any other family members account access to track their own weight because then they can see my info as well. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you all for your responses,  Fitbit just lost a sale.  My wife is really senistive about her weight and this would have caused issues in the household.

thanks again and Fitbit shame on you for not fixing the issue yet.

Best Answer
0 Votes

As @JuanJoFitbit states, you have control over the Privacy issue

Best Answer

There are privacy settings, yes, but they do not solve for this issue. As myself and others have stated, we have the product and there is still a very easy way to view others' weights, regardless of privacy setting. All the privacy setting does is make it not visible at first glance, but if you click into the weigh-in, you can reveal it incredibly easily.

@Rich_Laue wrote:

As @JuanJoFitbit states, you have control over the Privacy issue

Best Answer
0 Votes

Setting privacy on weight does not work when you invite someone to use the scales they see yours you see their and you see my guest on too! Why are you going to do about this?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@AdoCr Thanks for joining us in this thread and our Fitbit Community! If your data is still being seen by other users, please check out the settings of your Aria scale. Please log in to your web-based Dashboard, click on the "gear" icon, which is located at the top right corner of the page and select the Aria scale. After this, you'll see 2 tabs, click on the "People" tab and you'll be able to change the option from "Show Data" to "Hide Data". Please see the image below so you can know how the option looks like on the Dashboard:

Hide Data.PNG

Let me know how it goes my friend! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JuanJoFitbit You're not understanding... the settings are correctly set. Yet there is still a relatively easy way for other users to see one's weight despite the privacy settings.

Best Answer
0 Votes

And what is this relatively easy way? This would greatly help in the understanding of what your referring to. 

Best Answer

@Rich_Laue: Per my original post...

"On the iPhone or Windows PC, if a user goes to 'Account,' then selects 'Aria,' and then selects 'Recent Weigh-Ins,' it will show a recent history of all users who used the scale, with weights seemingly listed only for that user. However, if a user selects another user on this list and selects 'Assign weight,' and then selects him/herself, that weigh-in now shows up on the list as the user, with that person's weight listed. What's more, on the iPhone, and sometimes on the PC, a user can then quickly assign the weight back to the original person, and it will now list that user with his/her weight in perpetuity. Doing this quick trick a few times can easily display someone else's entire weigh-in history for all users linked to the scale."

Best Answer

Exactly as the other users say, if you click on someone else's name, the weight is no longer hidden.  So you can easily figure out what other people weigh since you can so easily change the name and as soon as you do the weight is displayed.   You just have to play with the screen and it is easy.  I uncovered this within the first 60 seconds of my getting on to this screen for the very first time.

This should have been uncovered during software testing...  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@j0sch Thanks for getting back and welcome to our Fitbit Community @kewlbeens! Thanks for providing more details about your inquiry and thank you also for reporting this. This info will be forwarded to our team. I really appreciate your feedback and your patience with this.

@Rich_Laue Thanks for your help my friend!

I'll be around if more assistance is needed guys! Smiley Happy

Best Answer

This was reported in 2016.  I just purchased an Aria 2 and was setting it up with my daughter today (in 2018) and we both immediately found we could see each other's weight.  Living with my wife and 3 daughters, I can tell you this is a non starter.  No one in my house will use this scale if weight data can't be made private.  It even says on the outside of the box "...keeps individual stats private."  How can you call this private and how can this still be an issue 2 years after first being reported.

Do I have an incorrect understanding of "private"?

Best Answer

I just bought aria 2 and I am having the same problem. 2 years since reported and Fitbit did nothing to improve the app. I am disappointed 😔 

Best Answer