Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing batteries on Aria is a difficult task

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I love my Aria, don't get me wrong. But WHY should changing batteries be such a complete pain in the a**? What should be a simple user task requires the whole charade of trying to reconnect to the network, which usually means going to the website on another device to figure out how to do it, it usually takes me about 15 minutes all up. Changing the actual batteries takes 10 seconds. It's not trivial. It is a very poor user experience that surely must have a simpler solution.

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity.

Best Answer
103 REPLIES 103

Hi, my battery has been showing low for weeks and I ignored it....until they died 🙂 So the scales complety went dead.... I changed the batteries and then stood on them and tried to sink on my phone, saw that the aria just showed no wifi and from reading the comments thought i'd have to go through the whole process again via the desktop version.  However I just went back with my laptop, logged into my fitbit desktop version then stepped onto the scales which synched and connected first time.  Sooooooooooo perhaps you just need to be online on the desktop app on your wifi for it to work.... I did not have to go through any other steps.

Best Answer

Nope, nothing helped. Now my very expensive scale is dying. I've had to change the batteries three times this month as it's stuck in a loop or something that happens when a cheap plastic spring breaks inside one of the feet (and no, they don't sell parts). It's now propped up on a piece of plastic so nothing sets it off. Then when weighing, my weight is some number that changes by pounds every couple minutes. So, now after wasting much time and way overpaying for a very expensive and low quality product for which there is no help from the company, I will be looking for a new one that works. And no, no amount of troubleshooting tips will make it better, poor quality corner cutting manufacture cannot be fixed.

Best Answer
0 Votes

One year coverage - when you get the "thinking err" message - fitbit says your scale is toast - buy a new one if it is older than the one year warranty! Now THAT is a way to make America great again! NOT!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yeah, I bought a new one of a different brand for a reasonable price. We'll see what issues arise with it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having the same problem.  I changed the batteries, I can find the aria in my network, I click on it...then what?

I'm having the same problem.  I changed the batteries, I can find the aria in my network, I click on it...then what?

my computer just keeps saying CONNECTING and my Aria just says SETUP ACTIVE.

Thanks.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

Guys, you need to change the batteries BEFORE the batteries are dead, not after the batteries are dead. Why do you think the Fitbit app warns you that your batteries are low? The Fitbit app is telling you to change your batteries before they die for a reason!

If you wait until the batteries are dead then the Aria will probably have the problems that people are complaining about here. If that's the case it is your fault for ignoring the warnings that Fitbit was giving you, period. So if the Fitbit app is telling you to change your batteries then change the batteries! Do not think that you're saving money by waiting until the batteries are dead, if you go that way you are just buying yourself trouble.

If just changed the batteries in my Aria and it was a simple painless process that took all of two minutes.

For those of you who are confused by ordinary directions here are super-detailed step-by-step directions that even a child can follow:

1) Fitbit app warns you that the Aria batteries are low, tells you to change them.

2) Go to any store that sells AA batteries and buy four AA batteries.

3) Take the new AA batteries home.

4) Pick up the Aria

5) Turn the Aria upside-down (glass side down).

6) Set the Aria down (glass side down) so you don't drop it while you do the next step.

7) Open the battery bay cover.

8)Remove the old AA batteries from the Aria

9) Install the new AA batteries into the Aria

10) Replace the battery bay cover

12) Pick up the Aria again

13) Turn the Aria front-side up (glass side up)

14) Place the Aria on the floor (use a flat and level floor with no carpet or rug)

15) Take off your shoes and socks so you are barefoot

16) Step on the Aria

17) The Aria will display a message about the name of the WiFi network it is connecting to. This should be the same WiFI network it was connecting to before you changed the batteries. If not, follow the directions here.

18) The Aria should now function just as it did before.

Best Answer

Glad it worked so easily for you. It didn’t for many others and their online instructions aren’t helpful. Maybe your details will help in the future.

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes
OK Mr Know it all (AKA SMART A_ _)
Changed batteries when I got warning - scale is now a paper weight

*Ken H*
Best Answer
0 Votes

This is quite arrogant.  Ha e you ever considered that the person is not available to change the battery?  Yes, I got the message however I was out of the country.  By the time I got back, the batteries were completely  dead.  The Aria is now not syncing to my fit bit account.  Every time I step on it tells me that's is the set up mode.

Best Answer
0 Votes
No. I never considered; but if you made it work when you bought it you
probably can do it again
Best Answer
0 Votes

Alright!  ALL of your are doing it wrong. It got me at first two.  AS soon as you put in the new batteries the scale prompts you to "TAP to enter setup"  the slightest movement or jarring registers as a "TAP".  Thus....you enter setup mode!  To replace batteries: 

1. Take out old.  

2. Put Aria scale upside down on a solid surface

3. Put in new batteries (dont move scale)

4. After waiting a minute (really probably a 15 seconds, i didnt time) ...flip the Aria over and place in its location.

5. Weight yourself

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just changed batteries last week. Worked like a charm. I thought it wasn't connected to my network, but when I put it in it's regular location, it worked great.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I always change my batteries before they die and still have the reconnect problem.  I've had my scale for years and have had this battery problem the entire time and I NEVER wait until the batteries are dead. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My husband changed our batteries, turned scale over; weighed fine like a lot of you are saying. However now it will not recognise me, it just weighs me, gives a correct reading for my weight, a wildly different reading for my body fat percentage (I wish it had halved overnight!) and then gives my husbands initials with no option to change. Really frustrating as I'm the one who uses them the most.

Some people are talking about having to do a reset when changing batteries but I have searched and all the reset advice seems to be about connections not users.

Any advice??

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’ve got the OG Aria scale. Sadly, I can’t get it to work in spite of being a super-knowledgeable FitBit gal. I’m a gadget girl, and pretty intuitive. This scale has me stumped. 
It’s currently usable in that I can weigh, my husband can weigh, once a day then manually log it in the FitBit app. I like to weigh morning then night, since I figure this would do a best average representation of my weight/body fat.

The scale will not sync to our FitBit accounts like it used to. 
and?

i didn’t let the batteries die in my scale. I followed the instructions exactly, when my scale was low.

it hooks to my internet. It will not forget or start over, it always recognizes John and I.

its crazy.

we can’t leave batteries in the dang thing because the scale stays on... legit constantly, with no one around it! 
Mim open to any and all suggestions. I’d love to have my logs back!

ty in advance!

Best Answer
0 Votes

The scales have some fragile plastic and once it wears and breaks inside, the scale will turn on all the time even when no one is there. I can weigh myself, but then I have to put something under the scale so that the bottom left foot is not touching the ground. Then it will stay off. I have let the scale die and sit there like the brick it is. To change batteries takes several attempt and re-setting it up until it takes. It's not worth it. I bought another brand and it works fine, though if I want it to register with fitbit, I have to have the app open when I weigh myself.

Best Answer

On your Fitbit app got to your account, tap on your scale icon, tap on "recent Weigh-Ins",  find the weigh in that's yours but assigned to your husband.  At list of your users should come up.  Your husband should be selected.  Change the selection to yourself.  Save it.  Do it for each wrong weigh in.  You will have to do it various times (at least I did).  I also made my husband check on his app to see if it had changed.

Good luck!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Have had the scale for years and never had an issue changing batteries. Comes up with SETUP ACTIVE and takes about 10 mins to fully setup. Nothing to do but be patient. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Nope.

Your product simply does not work the way you describe it.

The Aria does not reconnect automatically after battery replacement.

My scale spent some time (a couple hours) without batteries.

It remembered my initials, and identified me from my weight.

But it won’t reconnect to the wifi.

Best Answer
0 Votes

After I step off, it displays my weight and then my initials, but then it goes right back to telling me I need new batteries. I’ve inserted NEW batteries 3 times, and none of my other devices are having problems with my router.

Best Answer