Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing batteries on Aria is a difficult task

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I love my Aria, don't get me wrong. But WHY should changing batteries be such a complete pain in the a**? What should be a simple user task requires the whole charade of trying to reconnect to the network, which usually means going to the website on another device to figure out how to do it, it usually takes me about 15 minutes all up. Changing the actual batteries takes 10 seconds. It's not trivial. It is a very poor user experience that surely must have a simpler solution.

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity.

Best Answer
103 REPLIES 103

@Darla499 Thank you for joining us in this thread! I'm sorry to hear that the issue that your Aria is experiencing could not be resolved. I totally understand your frustration about this and thank you for your feedback. Please check out this page which explains more information about the warranty policies.

@RichardMW I truly appreciate your feedback and comments about the Aria as well. Your information will be sent to the rest of our team.

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes

...and meanwhile it’s now 5 years later and the same issues exist. This is my first and last Aria!

Best Answer

@JeaniePro Thank you for joining our Fitbit forums! I'm sorry for the late response. However, I'm sorry about the experience you had with your Aria scale. I totally understand how you feel and your feedback is appreciated.

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't think that the Fitbit company really listens to their customers. You have to pay so much for the scale that you expect it to last but of course it usually dies just after the warranty expires. They pretend to provide support but just tell you to try this and that so that you can get frustrated and then they tell you that they understand how you feel! 

Best Answer

I first posted in May of 2015 to try and help others as to how to see the battery change coming, and how easy it is to change. I still have the scale, it still works, and changing the batteries is still easy. I am not a brain surgeon either. And I probably won't buy another because I expect it to last forever. I don't get the problem folks. I get emails to change the batteries; it warns me that the batteries are low, there is an icon on my phone, and when I change the batteries, the scale is put back in place, and works immediately. I am not an employee, just relating my experience, which is that it is no problem still, nearly 4 years later

Best Answer

It's great that you got one of the scales that works well and that you don't have to understand the challenges most of us face. However, changing batteries in my scale is a massive challenge and it has to be set up several times to get it to work again. This last time I got the strongest, longest lasting batteries I could find so that I don't have to do it again for a very long time. None of the tips or hints work on my scale, I have to just keep resetting it until it just catches on the 8th or 15th try.

Best Answer
Mine is still not syncing. I gave up. I tried everything. I just use it
as a regular scale and don’t recommend it to anyone. I actually tell
people not to get the scale since I have not been able to sync it since the
original battery change.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I have the same experience. I did get a couple through eBay that did not work, and I returned them. But the one I got from Best Buy works great. The initial setup was tricky because the documentation is horrible, but I've changed batteries twice with no issues.

Get Outlook for Android
Best Answer
0 Votes
I bought it in person new in the box at a store. Set up originally went
fine. It was when I changed the batteries that it got messed up and won’t
work anymore as anticipated.
Best Answer

CROUCHERG, It's all well and good that you don't have any issues changing batteries, but as you can see from the large number of posts from those of us who found it difficult, or impossible, to reconnect to wifi after changing batteries, this Forum is intended to ask Fitbit for better instructions.

Denigrating those of us who have had problems is unacceptable.

Best Answer

This is classic internet. 'all the posts' Imagine what % you are of all the folks that own scales. Also; the only reason I post is to be helpful. The rest of the happy scale owners have no reason to reply.

Also: I posted to he HELPFUL, not to deride anyone. 

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

Not sure how your post was helpful. You only indicated that the scale worked perfectly for you. The rest of the posts are looking for Fitbit to provide actual instructions that work.

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer

You are right, about this post, but I posted other times, explaining how one can see on the fitbit site and get notifications, and how I changed the batteries and had no issue. But you are correct. This time, other than being a cheerleader for fitbit, I was perhaps not so helpful. 

@Jxwinks wrote:
Not sure how your post was helpful. You only indicated that the scale worked perfectly for you. The rest of the posts are looking for Fitbit to provide actual instructions that work.

From a previous post: "You can look on your phone or pc and the aria appears with a battery level indicator. Also; I get an email when it is low." 

I believe when you change the batteries when they are low, but not dead yet, then the scale continues to work. 

I do agree that fitbit could be more helpful on the instructions.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

Yes, I can see when they are low, but changing them at low instead of dead makes no difference. Taking out one battery at a time and replacing them that way makes no difference for my scale. I think there was a big issue that made it through quality control and fitbit hasn't really been helpful at all with solutions. This is not unusual for them, just look at the issues with the Charge 3 and the 'be patient' message they keep giving. They have no intention of fixing the Aria.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Their lack of support message is pretty loud and clear.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Agreed. They appear to be completely absent on their own forum. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for recognizing that 🙂

Just so you know, i talk up the Aria scale all the time...i just dread the next time i have to change the batteries.

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes

😉 I must be living right (ha ha)

Best Answer
0 Votes
I hear ya - the first time, it took me a couple of tries, then a light bulb went on and it worked great. No problems since.

I think one thing that helped is changing the batteries before they went completely dead. Also, I stepped on the scale instead of pushing on it.

Get Outlook for Android
Best Answer
0 Votes

It takes much longer than 15 mins,  I've been trying for hours, says it's successful, then says step on step off, thinking, then error,  then nothing, doesn't even work as a scale.  It is extremely annoying,  Time Fitbit fixes the problem!

Best Answer
0 Votes